Today just sucks. period. (1 Viewer)

paoldtimer

Nitro Member
Today just sucks. period.
We've been treating Casey, our 12 yo mixed poodle for what was originally thought to be a UTI, but it isn't, her urine culture didn't grow anything, antibiotics didn't help, x-ray, CBCs all fairly normal but she has blood in her urine, she's straining to pee and she goes at least every 2 hours.

Next thing to do is an ultrasound. She had one today. She spent the day with the Vet. We picked her up and the Doc comes in the room and spends a good 1/2 hr with us discussing our "options." He is near tears.

They finally found something..she has transitional cell carcinoma. A malignant tumor in her bladder. Surgery isn't an option...He wants to start her on a chemotherapy drug that may or may not help her. If we do nothing, she has probably 3 months. I'm sitting here in tears and don't know what to do.

I certainly will not let her suffer but it sucks so badly! She still plays with Eddie, our other dog, she eats well, drinks water and generally, other than peeing all the time, you wouldn't know she was sick. We got her medicine today. The local pharmacy had to formulate it...plus she will have to take Pepcid with it so it doesn't upset her stomach.

If it's not meant to be, I will look into having the vet come to our house. Casey always trembles when she is in the Vet's office and I don't want that to be the last thing she remembers.

I think the reason this is hitting me so hard is because Casey is "my" dog. From the day I found her at the pound, she has been my constant shadow, never leaving my side. She's sleeping on the couch right now...looking peaceful while I'm a mess. Thanks for listening. :(

I'm so sorry to hear that, Cheryl.

Just love her..it's all we can do.

I hope the meds work.

Today just sucks. period.
We've been treating Casey, our 12 yo mixed poodle for what was originally thought to be a UTI, but it isn't, her urine culture didn't grow anything, antibiotics didn't help, x-ray, CBCs all fairly normal but she has blood in her urine, she's straining to pee and she goes at least every 2 hours.

Next thing to do is an ultrasound. She had one today. She spent the day with the Vet. We picked her up and the Doc comes in the room and spends a good 1/2 hr with us discussing our "options." He is near tears.

They finally found something..she has transitional cell carcinoma. A malignant tumor in her bladder. Surgery isn't an option...He wants to start her on a chemotherapy drug that may or may not help her. If we do nothing, she has probably 3 months. I'm sitting here in tears and don't know what to do.

I certainly will not let her suffer but it sucks so badly! She still plays with Eddie, our other dog, she eats well, drinks water and generally, other than peeing all the time, you wouldn't know she was sick. We got her medicine today. The local pharmacy had to formulate it...plus she will have to take Pepcid with it so it doesn't upset her stomach.

If it's not meant to be, I will look into having the vet come to our house. Casey always trembles when she is in the Vet's office and I don't want that to be the last thing she remembers.

I think the reason this is hitting me so hard is because Casey is "my" dog. From the day I found her at the pound, she has been my constant shadow, never leaving my side. She's sleeping on the couch right now...looking peaceful while I'm a mess. Thanks for listening. :(
I feel bad for you Cheryl I got two pups from the pound when they were three months old and we lived on a boat in marina del rey ca for about six years and they loved the water.Then in 1998 i was offerd a job on a fuel team that would require me to be gone a lot and i had to find them a new home . It was for sure the hardest thing that i have ever had to do. But i did find them a home with some one that i knew and that would not split them up. So i can only imagine what you are going through. Good luck and hope the best for you and Casey.

Last edited:
Cheryl

My love to both you and Casey...

Losing Herman hit me hard, he was a SPCA 'puppy' we got got when he was 'a little older'... records showed 11, my vet guessed 13... the 'old man' was with us almost 6 years...

We got Chief Bearclaw Windwalker when he was an 8 week old kitten, and K'dubs was 4 years old... Bear left us a year and a half after K'dubs got out of high school....

It hurts when the 'children' get older. All you can do is love them as much as you can... they know it, just like you can feel the love coming back to you.

Karl

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that you do all that you can, for as long as you can, until there is just no more that can be done. You'll know when that time comes. Been there, done that, and when the call has to be made, well, there's just no words to describe the hurt. We've had the vets come to the house for the final calls, and it's just so much easier on everyone. Especially for selfish old me. I wouldn't want to be seen leaving the vets' office, not the way I get when we lose of our fur babies. Cherish the time that you have left, be it weeks, months, or ever how long. And Casey will know that you are doing all that you can for her. They are amazing animals in that sense.

Sorry to hear that--we all love our dog and one of the hardest things I ever had to do was deal with losing a beloved animal. They become almost human for the whole family. One of God's best creations had to be dogs and cats--they love you unconditionally. Hope things work out for the best for you.:)

I can't begin to give you any advice. Just know that myself along with a lot of other Maters have you and your pooch in our prayers. I have a 14 year old Rat Terrier myself that I know I won't have around too many more years. I don't know how I'll handle it if the time comes.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back