My Aunt Patsy--prayers needed. (1 Viewer)

Update

Today my Aunt called my mom crying out in pain. She had tried to call the nurses repeatedly for over two hours with her roommate also trying to get the nurse to come in. :mad:

Mom went up there and finally got Aunt Pat some medication. This isn't the first time she's had hassles getting the nurses' attention. Because of her writhing in pain this time , she cracked the edges of the wound. :mad:

Unfortunately, she didn't have any visitor's at the time because she insisted that her daughters and husband go back to their jobs for a couple days.

Good News!!!

She's bustin' out of that joint!

She's going home for at least a couple days!!!! My uncle and cousins will have to change her wound dressing every 4 hours but she's going to be let go for a couple days. If she needs another debridement she will be readmitted but wound care can be done at home and outpatient until the possibity of the graft becomes reality. It's still an open wound but she's going to spend her birthday out of that stinkin' hospital. Thanks for all of the prayers guys.

Last edited:
That is great news, Ninji...:) Bet she's looking forward to some of your home cooking too!! Best wishes for a comfortable recovery..

I went and visited Aunt Pat yesterday. I didn't plan on going but my mom needed a driver so I went intending not to go in to see her as they had labeled me as "infectuous" many moons ago and I didn't want to get her an infection from me.

We needed to get up there with the bandages, gauze, painkillers, and solutions so she could get the wound cleaned and the bandages changed. The wound was supposed to be changed at 8 that morning but because my Aunt Lydia had problems getting the bandages from that stupid hospital, she was late.

As it happened, a deputy almost got run over and because he shot at the suspect they closed the section of road that my cousin lives on. After 30 minutes of explaining the situation to the police officers, me threatening to call the emergency services to the house, (pointing out that this was medical situation they were holding up) and my mom in a panic, They agreed to let us in with the supplies for changing her dressings, with the caveat that we couldn't LEAVE until they reopened the road.

We got in there and found out that they wouldn't let my Aunt Lydia in at all and it takes three people to change the bandages. I was the only one who wasn't going to puke, so I went in. I didn't want to ask questions in front of Aunt Pat so after, I went to the kitchen to ask Aunt Ruth, and Lisa, a cousin, threw up when I asked what the black and green spots were.

The wound itself is about 16 inches long, 5 inches wide, and deep enough that Aunt Ruth's hand almost went completely in when she was changing the dressing. It's got some blcack and green spots that are dead flesh and infection, they might remove them at the check up. Otherwise it looks pretty pink and not really that gross. They pack it with two rolls of gauze soaked in a solution that smells like clorine, then they cover it with a gauze-like blanket and cover it again with two pieces of plastic that stick to her skin and tie together like a corset.

I didn't touch the wound, my job was to hold her hands and keep her from smacking Mom and Aunt Ruth, and to wipe the tears from her face.

The drug cocktail that she sounds like it should knock anybody out, but it doesn't help much with the pain.

All but one of her kids made it to see her for her birthday, my mom fixed lasagna caseroles, I made cornbread and cake, and we took frozen pizza's and soups. Enough food for a couple days.

I took her some cards for her birthday and st. patrick's day to cheer her up.

Glad to hear she's out of the hospital. I hate those places. Please give her our best, Jenn. She sounds like a great lady. Get well soon, Patsy!

Mom took Aunt Pat to the doc today, he said she was healing very nicely and provided that there was no fever or increase in pain, she could see him again in two weeks.

Thanks again for all the prayers y'all.

Jenn

Thanks for the update, Jenn..pisses me off we're going 2 weeks now??

With a gaping wound I certainly would be more attentive..come to Iowa, please.

My prayers and bitching.

Glad she's improving..what a great family you have.

Aunt Pat is doing better every day, after the cleaning and bandage dressing she's up in about 30 minutes, as opposed to 4 hours. She sounds so much better when she calls.

The flesh is nice, pink and moist, and Aunt Ruth said that it's healing around the slits but since there isn't the blood to stimulate the clotting process, it's going to be still a long time coming. I guess the graft is out of the question still.

As far as the gaping wound, she did say that when she first started changing Aunt Pat's dressings, that she would fill the wound with two rolls of gauze and now she has to cut it down to 1 1/2 rolls, but because of the sterility issues, she can't use the 1/2 that she cuts off for the next changing.

She's still at my cousin's house and family and friends have dropped off food for them. She did tell me that my corn bread needed some work. :)

Jenn

Jenn Im so glad to hear your Aunt is feeling better!!!!!!!!!!
Thats really an amazing story, remember last year, when one of our other Maters sons had something like this happen??? I wonder how hes doing. Anyone know? I forget, my bad, who it was. Prayer Power, it works!!

Jenn Im so glad to hear your Aunt is feeling better!!!!!!!!!!
Thats really an amazing story, remember last year, when one of our other Maters sons had something like this happen??? I wonder how hes doing. Anyone know? I forget, my bad, who it was. Prayer Power, it works!!

Stevie Hatfield was the boy's name, I don't remember what the father's name was.

And thank's ya'll.

Hys Dad went by the name of Freeway on the old nitromater. Havent seen or heard from him in a while

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back