The spiders have struck again :( (1 Viewer)

I am sorry to hear about your cat. My family always had dogs and cats when I was younger and once I went away to school I got a parakeet and since then have had many different pets, primarily birds, due to their not needing to be let in and out, and no litter box.

About six months ago my current parakeet of 5 years started having seizures which I first attributed to "night fright" as they only happened in the dark. night fright is when a bird is startled by a noise but since they do not fly at night they panic and sometimes end up flopping around...

Anyway, once it happened during the day a vet visit was in oreder and come to find out my little green friend has epilepsy and requires two beak fulls of "birdie valium" each morning and night.

It is the "not knowing" that is especialy difficult with any pet as the communication we have with our animals may impart the result of a problem but not the details or the cause. Pets often become part of our family and it sounds like your cat was very much loved and well cared for.

Whiskers has a cat door. We went ahead and disinfected the door frame in case that's what helped open up that spider bit. Threw her blanket and her toys just in case there was some infection on the blankets.

I had no idea birds could have epilepsy. Is she friendly enough to hold? My mom's got a cocotail that's just the meanest bird. Can't hardly change her water or food without gloves.

Jenn,

So sorry about your baby. It's really tough when it's time for them to go. After my cat went, it took me a year before I was ready for another. I went to our local shelter one day and really didn't know what I was looking for. When we walked in, this one cat picked me out rather than me having to decide. We did all the paperwork and went home that day with a new baby "Rocket". She's the coolest cat I've ever had. The nice part about my last cat is that we still see her around the house. I know it sounds crazy, but she's still here.

Take your time Jenn, the right time will come along and you'll know when it's time to find your new friend.

My best to you during this difficult time.

Dave

Whiskers has a cat door. We went ahead and disinfected the door frame in case that's what helped open up that spider bit. Threw her blanket and her toys just in case there was some infection on the blankets.

I had no idea birds could have epilepsy. Is she friendly enough to hold? My mom's got a cocotail that's just the meanest bird. Can't hardly change her water or food without gloves.

Actually, my little bird rides in the car with me on a one of those moldable rope perches secured to the passenger seat headrest. I do keep him clipped (for his own safety) and he is very well behaved so he has open cages... He does not bite at all, takes showers with me, and I have even taken him on commercial air clights in a soft sided container I wear on my chest.

He communicates a lot, can almost talk, and my wife says he reminds her of "a little green dunken soldier with no arms"...

He especially likes bed time when I brush my teeth and he nibbles my hair and ears (a sign of affection) as he is on my shoulder. He also enjoys things like the vaccum cleaner, dishwasher, washing machine, and my wife's hair dryer...

I like the fact that most people are not allergic to birds, his food is very inexpensive, and we don[t need to worry about rabies, distemper, and municipal registration fees. :)

I am so sorry about your cat. I have always enjoyed cats and had one when I was a child that would follow me around like a dog.

Last edited:
Wow Jenn...

I am very sorry to hear about that. I certainly know that feeling as I am sure most here do. Hang in there and try to remember the good times.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back