Snake in IndyCars (2 Viewers)

Snake attends 2 or 3 F1 races a year, and is known to be a huge fan of Lewis Hamilton. And whoever said there is no passing in F1 hasn't been watching this year. The DRS system, new Pirelli tires, coupled with KERS conspired for 81 passes for position on the track at Turkey 2 weeks ago. Monaco is this week, and there won't be much passing there, but that is a function of narrow street courses rather than technical limitations of cars or drivers. Qualifying in F1 this year has been spectacular, as usually less than 1 second covers the top 10 cars, ad Vettel seems to manage to always come out on top, showing us every week that he is indeed the next coming megastar. Last thing about F1, if you want to see/listen to how a broadcast booth should work, watch Speed and listen to Hobbs, Varsha and Matchett. Informative, professional and entertaining.

Also, there are more American drivers in IndyCar than there has been in a long time. The bottom line is this, 90% of the rides in IndyCars are bought. Basically everyone outside of Penske and Ganassi either breaks out the checkbook or brings their own sponsors (including Danica). For some reason whether it is talent or marketability, sponsors have been buying rides for American drivers lately, which is good for the series. Indycar is on the upswing, but as already been mentioned, next year will be very exciting. New cars and engines with as many as 4 manufacturers coming in.

Last thing about F1, if you want to see/listen to how a broadcast booth should work, watch Speed and listen to Hobbs, Varsha and Matchett. Informative, professional and entertaining.

Couldn't agree more. Makes waking up at 5 a for the races worthwhile. Met Matchett before too, couldn't be a nicer funnier guy. Wrote a great book too.

And there lies INDYCAR's biggest problem. Only a couple of Americans that actually are competitive..every now and then. If the rain doesn't quit..Danica is done. Looks like I'll be pulling for Ed Carpenter in Sarah Fisher's car.

I guess Indy is Pay for ride like NHRA is, too bad more American companies don't get involved with American drivers!

I guess Indy is Pay for ride like NHRA is, too bad more American companies don't get involved with American drivers!

Just saw what may be the biggest "pay for ride" ever. AJ Foyt kicked Bruno Jungeira to the curb after making a deal with Andretti to put Ryan Hunter Reay in Foyt's qualified car.

Just saw what may be the biggest "pay for ride" ever. AJ Foyt kicked Bruno Jungeira to the curb after making a deal with Andretti to put Ryan Hunter Reay in Foyt's qualified car.

This has always occurred at the Speedway. Smaller teams or lesser funded drivers get bought out so bigger stars or sponsor paychecks can be rolled into the 500. They said on the Versus broadcast yesterday that if Danica didn't qualify, they had a contingency deal to bump John Andretti out of his ride and put Danica in that car. Luckily for the former Top Fuel racer, Danica qualified. (EDIT: Robin Miller said this last night on either SpeedCenter or Wind Tunnel)

Ryan Hunter Reay is sponsored by IZOD, which is the IndyCar series sponsor. While it made for compelling TV watching him be bumped out at the end of qualifying by his teammate Marco Andretti, I never thought for a second he wouldn't be in the race.

I was SUPER bummed how uncompetitive the Dragon team was. It is basically a satellite Penske team, and they were out to sea all week. They ostensibly blamed Scott Speed (husband of Rickie Smith's daughter and Matt Smith's Sister and fellow 'Mater, Amanda) and brought in Patrick Carpentier to attempt to get the car up to speed, and he promptly wadded it up in the wall yesterday morning ending all hopes of getting that car in the show. Scott Speed was also signed up to drive that car in the IndyCar finale here in Vegas, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

PS get well "Tricky" Rickie Smith, I heard he had back surgery.

PPS Barry, I can't root for Ed Carpenter. By all accounts he is a nice enough guy, but his ride is paid for by Tony George (he is George's son-in-law). I haven't fully buried that hatchett yet and will root against anything Tony George related out of general principles.

Last edited:
Chris, I think IZOD left Andretti's team and is now with Penske (Ryan Briscoe). I think Ryan is now sponsored by DHL and some other sponsor with a yellow color.

You will find Snake at the Speedway every year as well as Daytona, Charlotte, and all the other places to be seen. He is a huge race fan.

Quote: "PPS Barry, I can't root for Ed Carpenter. By all accounts he is a nice enough guy, but his ride is paid for by Tony George (he is George's son-in-law). I haven't fully buried that hatchett yet and will root against anything Tony George related out of general principles."

I believe that would be his step-son. Wife's son by her first marriage. She is from my hometown.

Mitch

I am torn on the Ed Carpenter thing, because I fully understand the anti Tony George feelings, but Sarah Fisher is one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, and I would love to see her team do well.

I like F1, but the lack of passing has always been an issue. For example, the race last Sunday. that was the first time in 10 years that the pole sitter didn't win that race. The technology is awesome, but the racing can be less than exciting at times.

I'd love to see Snake involved in motorsports again, no matter what form it may take.

"Theres ****ing Snakes in Indycars!"

Sorry-couldn't resist-please tell me I wasn't the only one thinking this. :eek:

. And whoever said there is no passing in F1 hasn't been watching this year. The DRS system, new Pirelli tires, coupled with KERS conspired for 81 passes for position on the track at Turkey 2 weeks ago.
Monaco is this week, n.

Thanks Chris - You sold me.
I always love the Monaco race but, I'm glad to hear the other events are getting "interesting".
F-1 USED to be my favorite motorsport to watch, until I wandered back to Drag Racing - in the late 1980's (or was it early 90s ? CRS). Kinda hard to top NITRO!

So you folks are saying, that it's the CAR that gets the qualifying spot? I ask this because if I can write a check to bump a qualified driver from the field, then I guess the position goes to the car, not the driver?

So you folks are saying, that it's the CAR that gets the qualifying spot? I ask this because if I can write a check to bump a qualified driver from the field, then I guess the position goes to the car, not the driver?

That's right. In Indy Car, the car qualifies, and if there is a change of driver after qualifying, the car starts in the last position.

Also, I had heard that the Ganassi satellite team cars of Graham Rahal and Charlie Kimball are leasing Prudhomme's shop in Brownsburg.

Also, I had heard that the Ganassi satellite team cars of Graham Rahal and Charlie Kimball are leasing Prudhomme's shop in Brownsburg.

Larry Dixon used to lease shop space in Brownsburg to IndyCar teams too. Not sure which one though or if he still does.

Last edited:
Chris, I think IZOD left Andretti's team and is now with Penske (Ryan Briscoe). I think Ryan is now sponsored by DHL and some other sponsor with a yellow color.

IZOD sponsors Ryan Briscoe's car ... but Ryan Hunter Reay is their "Lifestyle" rep, and it's him in the IZOD clothes in all of the pictures you see in advertising.

And I knew Ed Carpenter was TG's step-son ... I have no idea why I wrote son-in-law. In any event, Carpenter's funding comes from TG, and even though Ed seems to be the likeable sort, I just can't pull for him.

Tony George is paying nothing to Sarah Fisher. It's her (and her husbands) team sponsored by Dollar General. TG folded his operation. Sarah isn't driving because she's pregnant and they are only running ovals when they run. IZOD was stolen from Andretti and DHL is the main reason Bruno got kicked to the curb. They are paying an aweful lot of money to not be represented in the only INDY car race most people will see.

Tony George is paying nothing to Sarah Fisher. It's her (and her husbands) team sponsored by Dollar General. TG folded his operation. Sarah isn't driving because she's pregnant and they are only running ovals when they run. IZOD was stolen from Andretti and DHL is the main reason Bruno got kicked to the curb. They are paying an aweful lot of money to not be represented in the only INDY car race most people will see.

I was just gonna ask why Sarah isn't driving till I saw you mention she's Preggars! Had no idea...

There is an AWESOME Indy History app. Out Called "Indy 500 History"for iPhone and iPad! Tons of old photos, etc. Highly recommend!!:)

TG folded "Vision" racing a couple of years ago. I would be STUNNED if Carpenter didn't bring something to the table, Dollar General is not by any means a big buck sponsor, and if no additional funding was necessary, Sarah could have (and should have) signed a better drive than Ed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back