Snake Racing signs Spencer Massey (1 Viewer)

And what did we learn from the last paragraph? :)

Actually, all it says is Larry will be returning for the "2009" season, but nothing about 2010. However, the earlier part where it says "new" team, tells me the Snake will be fielding a "second" dragster. I hope to dear God that is the case. I couldn't imagine Larry driving for anyone else than Snake. I hope this dispells rumors of Larry driving for AJ's Ali Baba team, or whatever they're called.

Leebone

Didn't this sort of scenario get played out over 5 years ago when Melanie Troxell was going to drive for the Snake.......

yes it did.
hope this deal works a little better - gotta' hand to the snake for
procuring talent way before all the pieces are together.......kinda' cool i think.
kinda' waaaaay cool if you're spencer massey :cool:

Snakes first draft pick = Spencer Massey

Damage control. Snake needed to retain Spencer before someone else got him.. like maybe AJ, The kids got quite a career ahead of him.

"Massey will immediately be available to drive for Snake Racing should the new team be formed prior to the 2010 NHRA season."

Or does it mean until larry leaves for Aj racing..........

Didn't this sort of scenario get played out over 5 years ago when Melanie Troxell was going to drive for the Snake with rumored AT&T sponsorship?

We all know how that one turned out.

Wayne, you beat me to it. However, If memory serves correct Mel asked for the release to join the Knoll Sponsored 2nd DSR car.

I wish Spencer and the Snake the best of luck. Outstanding deal for both parties involved.

Spencer signed the dotted line before the ink was dry. He will never drive for Snake (though he may for Dixon). Snake will make $$$ for himself on this deal. He is a democrat.

Spencer signed the dotted line before the ink was dry. He will never drive for Snake (though he may for Dixon). Snake will make $$$ for himself on this deal. He is a democrat.

WTF???
:confused::confused:

Roger I hope you're not slamming Snake for trying to make a living for himself!
Also, are you implying that he is ready to retire & sell the operation to Larry (which is what I hope for; eventually)!

Thanks Skip, Snake, Larry, and the entire "chew crew"!!!
:D

Last edited:

Drive for Dixon? Is Snake selling the team to Dixon??? WOW....Silly Season is in full swing now. :rolleyes:

Leebone

Don't really know what it all means after 2009 but what I do know is We'll be able to root for The Snake and LD for another year. AS far as the speculation goes as to a second team car in 2010 or a replacement for LD, I'm sure there are escape clauses on both sides.
On another point an interesting fact was Snakes 21 year involvement with Skoal/US tobacco that is going to contine. And how about The Snakes almost half century of NHRA involvement of fielding a competitive team.

Very happy for Spencer, would rather see him with another team, but hey, if this all goes to plan it will be a good deal for him, and that's all that matters :)

The only POSSIBLE way I see Larry handing his driving gloves over to another driver is, his children. They are close to if not already, school age. They're at the point where they need a full time father and a steady house to live in, not a motorhome traveling across the country. Whether Larry steps out of racing or becomes team owner in 2010, he has my respect. BUT, that's all conjecture. The article did indeed say "new" team, not "same" team. That tells me two teams in 2010. Silly season aside, I'd say wait and see what happens.

Leebone

The only POSSIBLE way I see Larry handing his driving gloves over to another driver is, his children. They are close to if not already, school age. They're at the point where they need a full time father and a steady house to live in, not a motorhome traveling across the country. Whether Larry steps out of racing or becomes team owner in 2010, he has my respect. BUT, that's all conjecture. The article did indeed say "new" team, not "same" team. That tells me two teams in 2010. Silly season aside, I'd say wait and see what happens.

Leebone
Larry aint goin anywhere,trust me...........You all have strange minds

Why another team? Snake not good enough,not enough credentials for you?

Oh cut with the BS Jerry, can't people have an opinion? Did I write off the snake? No!

Personally I was hoping (even though it was a long shot) Spencer would get a ride with AJ!

So get off your high horse and ride off!!!!

I wish this is the way every team worked. It's a breath of fresh air to see a team actually recruit someone to be a driver based on talents not off, money alone. That said, I know Gene foots the bill for the Mitch King TF deal. However, if this was a Gene's money kind of thing, one would think they would be racing next year.

It's like Dixon said a few years back, teams buy the best parts money can buy, the trick of the week gadgets, thousands on leightweight trick parts, pay the big money for the best tuner and crew, then when it comes to the driver, it's whoever brings the most money to the table.

The owner wants the money for the balance sheet. The tuner wants the money to have more testing/parts budget, plus I'm sure many of them think they're the most important peice of the puzzle.

When it comes to championships, those 'driver' rounds are important. Getting a holeshot win is just as important as NOT BEING LATE sometimes. Keeping it in the groove. Knowing when to pedal or grab brake, etc. I've even talked to some owners that said there was a difference in the parts bills between drivers due to the style....how they worked the throttle in the burnout, etc.

How do you think it sounds to a potential sponsor when they tell them the driver will be whoever writes the biggest check? DPR is doing the right thing in my opinion. They're making it public that Spencer will drive a car for them. That gives them something a little more 'official' to sell the sponsors rather than 'well if we can get a sponsor, we'll field a car.' Anyone in sales knows perception is reality.

Kudos to DPR and good luck to Spencer!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back