Snake Racing - Union Tribune story (1 Viewer)

joey

Nitro Member
SPEED WEEK
Prudhomme spending despite tough economy

By Bill Center
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 23, 2008

In these troubled economic times, many racing teams – even in NASCAR's Sprint Cup series – are tightening their belts in fear of tough days ahead.
But Snake Racing is looking to expand in 2010 and possibly next year.

Car owner Don Prudhomme last week signed a second Top Fuel driver to debut a second car in 2010 and possibly sooner.

Spencer Massey, 26, who won the International Hot Rod Association Top Fuel title Sunday, is scheduled to join Larry Dixon on Prudhomme's team in 2010 – and by next year if Prudhomme finalizes a full sponsorship package sooner.

“We're working on it,” Prudhomme said earlier this week. “I know times are tough for all of us. But we're looking to the future. A lot of guys in our sport are getting older.

“We want to be positioned with a good second driver. We have a sponsor joining us next year with plans to expand into a lead sponsor in 2010. With the signing of Massey, we'll have everything in place when the time comes.”

Prudhomme already has Dixon and his sponsor, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco, signed up for next season.

Take notice that Prudhomme plans to add a second Top Fuel car rather than returning to a Top Fuel/Funny Car mix.

“I've always liked Funny Cars,” said Prudhomme, a four-time national champion in the Funny Car division. “But without factory support, operating a Funny Car team is very hard. And right now, factory backing is not there. Without factory backing, a Funny Car is much more expensive to operate than a Top Fuel dragster.

“With Funny Cars, you've got the body and the wind tunnel testing and extra parts and people needed to maintain the car. Every time something goes on the engine, parts fly through the body and you're out another body.

“Funny Car is more man-hours on top of the cost of parts and development. They are a lot more involved. Which is why we prefer Top Fuel at this time. The needed support is not there from the factories.

“I think that's going to hit hard those parts of racing that are dependent on factory support, including NASCAR.”

Plans call for two-time series champion Dixon to run Prudhomme's car on the 2009 National Hot Rod Association tour with Massey continuing to run his own IHRA Top Fueler while also competing a Top Alcohol Dragster in the NHRA.

In 2010, Dixon and Massey will both compete for Prudhomme on the NHRA's Top Fuel circuit. And should funding become available to Prudhomme sooner, Massey would run in 2009.

“We're looking to the future,” Prudhomme said. “We're going to see changes soon in the NHRA. Guys are getting older. (Crew chief) Tim Richards retired from Kenny Bernstein's team this week. John Force can't go on forever.

“The truth is, a lot of our drivers are in their 40s. You've got to position yourself for the change that is coming. By signing Massey now, we've got a full year to get everything in place.”

Dixon is fifth in the NHRA Top Fuel standings with two races to go.

Thanks for posting Skip, that's a good story to read and provokes alot of thoughts. Personally, I think the economic down turn might help bring sponsors over to the NHRA. It's a great bang for the buck, and companies will still be spending advertising $$$, they will just be more cautious on how they spend it. I just saw on NHRA.com where Mopar is back for the Denver race, and Gann got a new motorcycle deal, bringing a new sponsor to the NHRA. Things aren't all lights out.

O ye of little faith. :) It looks like Snake has it covered. If Dixon leaves, Spencer steps in...........if he stays, Spencer comes on board as a second team car with as yet unnamed sponsor............:D

Wait, I think that is what the release said :confused: ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back