Snake in IndyCars (1 Viewer)

The Honda engine lease just for the month of May at Indy is around a million dollars.

If that figure is correct then the "crate" motor program they adopted was pretty stupid. What's the point of going to a spec motor if the costs are that high?

Here's my plan to bring Indy back closer to what it used to be while also significantly lowering the costs and increasing fan interest:

Adopt the NASCAR Cup series non-restrictor plate engine rules exactly as they currently are, and create chassis rules that make sense for these kinds of engines while also keeping chassis costs in check by eliminating the use of exotic materials.

This would lower engine costs significantly and would bring back engine manufacturer competition between the "big 3" plus Toyota. Qualifying would be a lot more exciting as would the competition during the race, you'd be pulling both for drivers and manufacturers.

You would also have competition between existing teams to supply the engine that gets the pole and wins the race (Hendricks vs. Roush/Yates vs. Childress, etc.).

It would also be possible for a low buck team to put together an engine that has a chance of making the race and having a good finish as still happens in NASCAR.

It would probably never happen as the Indy car execs are still stuck on the path of being "F1 wannabees" and won't consider a NASCAR-centric approach. But I think they would make a lot more money if they did and the racing would be more interesting for the spectators.

Last edited:
If that figure is correct then the "crate" motor program they adopted was pretty stupid. What's the point of going to a spec motor if the costs are that high?

Here's my plan to bring Indy back closer to what it used to be while also significantly lowering the costs and increasing fan interest:

Adopt the NASCAR Cup series non-restrictor plate engine rules exactly as they currently are, and create chassis rules that make sense for these kinds of engines while also keeping chassis costs in check by eliminating the use of exotic materials.

This would lower engine costs significantly and would bring back engine manufacturer competition between the "big 3" plus Toyota. Qualifying would be a lot more exciting as would the competition during the race, you'd be pulling both for drivers and manufacturers.

You would also have competition between existing teams to supply the engine that gets the pole and wins the race (Hendricks vs. Roush/Yates vs. Childress, etc.).

It would also be possible for a low buck team to put together an engine that has a chance of making the race and having a good finish as still happens in NASCAR.

It would probably never happen as the Indy car execs are still stuck on the path of being "F1 wannabees" and won't consider a NASCAR-centric approach. But I think they would make a lot more money if they did and the racing would be more interesting for the spectators.

The IndyCar series is going to the "universal racing engine" next season. It is a 2L turbo 4, and as many as 4 manufacturers are supposed to badge the engine. The engine is slated for use is in several series, so there is sure to be a plentiful supply, and the Indy Car series would like to put a price cap in place for around 250K for the season, 150K fo Indy only. The IndyCar series is also going to new chassis next year, and there are also price caps put in place for that. A Dallara roller with gearbox is capped at 150K, wing kits for speedways and road courses are capped at 75K.

Tony George had the right Idea, bring Indy back to the people, then came the "spec cars" then everybody had thier way, soon it was road courses, turbos, intercoolers, million dollar chassis, engines, then came Honda with fifty engineers, Penske/Gannassi, cars that NOOne can afford or will sink thier time into, Geez lets get this back to those who want to race and can put out a quality racecar on a budget, used to be Four Guys with fifty grand could field a competetive racecar, I Remember going to Indy in the 1960s with My GrandFather (with Goodyear) and seeing the technilogical wonders on pit road, Blown Offys, gas Turbines, Smokey Yunick with a 209CI Smallblock Chevy, Turbocharged putting out 1000HP, qualified 8th??? lets get back to the days when the Himelgarns, Dairy farmers from Dayton, OH could field an Indy Car, Thats the roots! I want to see it go there again, No points, just run what ya brung!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back