Slowing Them Down (1 Viewer)

90 gpm pump is way too big. Restrict the pump size to 65 gpm,and restrict the inlet line to a single 1 1/4 inch id.

Tapered spacer?

Perhaps putting mandates on engine horsepower?

They don't seem to run this fast in IHRA, and they don't seem to have these semi-regular occurences of tragedy either.

With all due respect Andy, IHRA doesn't have the number of runs, the size of the fields, the number of races, or the mega sponsors (for the most part) (and consequently the budgets) of NHRA teams. Not to take anything away from our friends at the IHRA, but to compare the two is a little hard to do since the "volume" of racing is a lot higher at NHRA events than at IHRA events. What I mean is less runs= less accidents, less carnage. Also less money = less big budget cars set on kill.

T/F and F/C,
14-71 standard helix blower only,
1 44amp mag only,
1 spark plug per cylinder only,
1 90 gpm fuel pump max (no overdriving the pump)
Allow 100% nitro
Leave everything else alone.
(1 less mag, 1 less fuel pump, and 8 less sparkplugs = no obsolete and more spare parts).

Similar rules can be used to slowdown other classes also.
For example in TA/FC, TA/D
14-71 standard helix blower only,
1 44 amp mag only,
1 spark plug per cyl only.
1 fuel pump only (no overdriving the pump)

In P/S
1 1150 cfm 4 barrel carburator (no "split" 4 barrels)

Kenneth,

Pro Stock doesn't have split carbs,

TAD and TAFC only have 1 MAG now. the AFD's have 2.

And 90 gpm is about where the pumps are now.

Alan

Tom,your last line seems to hit the nail squared... Less big budget cars set on kill. If the cars were run to that sort of thinking,then the 1320 would be staying.

I must say i'm supprised how many of you guys would like to see them go back to 100% nitro. Do you really think that the big percentages of nitro has nothing to do with the catistrophic engine failures? Since going to 90% this year we are again seeing some terrible engine explosions. Go read the interview with Alan Johnson, when asked the question if they should have gone to 90% this year his reply was, Probably NOT. Years ago the crew chiefs learned how to burn nitro and the floodgates were opened. I feel if they want to run 100% nitro than they must run a smaller volume pump, maybe 40 or 45 gpm.
OPEN FIRE!:eek:

Make them run a 12" wide slick... Take away any kind of clutch timing system..

BRING on the PEDALFESTS that everyone loves to watch.. ;):D

Johnson tuning with no rev limiter and 100% in the tank?
Taking 320 off the length of the track amounts to srubbing less than 1 second at the top end of the track. A.J. will find a way to hedge this in his favor if given those scenario's. IMO, 1000 may look shorter, but may land up changing nothing at the top end speed's at the shorter tracks given the same
outcome that scott faced. Say to yourself......."1001" and see what that really does for you a 300 mph at a 1000'.

I’m not speaking for NHRA just thinking with my fingers. HYPOTHETICALLY if you were offered, no rev-limiters, 100% in the tank and 1000ft racing would that be good or bad?

Alan

As a Crew Member of Eddie Hills 1993 Top Fuel World Championship Team :cool:I hate to see 1320 go away. I do agree with going back a few steps . ( smaller pumps like Uncle Daves Nuclear Pump ) worked great for us in the Nuclear Banana back then. No timing advance, hell we all know the amount of twist in the crank. Smaller clutches with less fingers. Limit the fuel and clutches to on a certain number of movements. We were the first in the Fours, and Bernstein was the first to run 300, there are no more giant barriers to break! If you want to run 350 go to Bonneville. There is so much for the crowds to do and see at the races , they will still jump every time someone waks the throttle in the pits , their eyes will still burn and they will scatter like a covey of quail , ( all crews get a kick out of these things ) . They will not be pissed because Alan Johnson tuned Schumaker to another win at 4:78 @ 299.55 against "Hot Rod Fuller" at 4:77 @ 300.10 :)eek:Whoops a little late Hot Rod, Ha! ) They will still pay the price and keep coming . :rolleyes: I do not want to lose another friend to such a horrible accident ( How Old Are Those Catch Nets ??????? ) I am sure that NHRA will come up to something I mean up with something :eek:

How about a big foam pit at the end of the strip?

Alan, how come every time I read one of your posts, in my head it sounds like you are reading it to me over the PA at the track? :D

Yes! Make them look like cars again! Instead of a shapeless wedge!

A lot more entertaining to watch and it will slow them down.

And they don't look like shapeless teardrops on the street today?

From the get go, There was a reason they are called Funny Cars

JFR's stang looks as much like my stang today as Gas Ronda's long nose Stang looked like my next door neighbor's 69 Mach... Or Mike's grandpa's 69 looked like my brother-in-laws... let's not talk about the vegas, Shoe's cudas and street cudas... Floppers today look right as a natural evolution to what we were doing to production cars 40 years ago.

d'kid

And they don't look like shapeless teardrops on the street today?

From the get go, There was a reason they are called Funny Cars

JFR's stang looks as much like my stang today as Gas Ronda's long nose Stang looked like my next door neighbor's 69 Mach... Or Mike's grandpa's 69 looked like my brother-in-laws... let's not talk about the vegas, Shoe's cudas and street cudas... Floppers today look right as a natural evolution to what we were doing to production cars 40 years ago.

d'kid
come on man. look at the shelf next to the windows. the greenhouse is almost as narrow as the roll cage. it's gone too far.

And Lonnie - post of the century as far as I'm concerned.

Funny , and right on the mark.

http://www.70sfunnycars.com/Photos/wshirley2.JPG

http://www.draglist.com/artman/uploads/daily_stories/14shir3.jpeg

that funny car isn't much different from this:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/data/3234/medium/1971FordMustangBoss351FastbackRearSide.jpg

Last edited:
Well here are my thoughts. I’m not sure at point Scott Kalittas Car blew up but it looked to me like it was well before the finish line how far that I am unsure of. So what would of 1000' done in that particular instance is unknown. The way I feel is that we will never be able to predict the unpredictable, if someone told you every single event in the Kalitta accident would happen before it happened we all would say NO way. I do believe that there are many ways I believe we can make the sport safer, but I am not nowhere near educated enough to explain them. I love the idea of the chute launchers. The idea of the burst panel connected to the chutes is a great idea. I think the engines can be detuned so they don’t blow up as much but how to do that I have zero idea. These crew chiefs always seem to make up for any changes they throw at them. How about this, create a rule that only allows a certain number of blocks for an event yeah the show might suffer at first but I think the crew chiefs will figure that out. And the sand trap deal how about multipal catch nets each getting progressivly higher that is a easy and cheep fix. We also have to keep in mind that theese top end saftey items are ment to stop cars that cant stop! they are simply not good enough. I also believe its time for safer barriers as well they did this at the TAXI CAB 500 years ago! Will 1000' racing stop a blowover if a wheelie bar breaks??? hmm i doubt it! But the way I feel is we can prevent a similar accident in the future that has already happened but we will never be able to prepare for something no matter how hard we try we don’t know is coming. Most fatal accidents are like fingerprints very rare are any 2 alike. And another point I would like to make is 1000' drag racing going to keep 2 cars from colliding at 300+ mph? Chances are very minimal. I’m for 1000' drag racing but it’s not the only answer.

Last edited:
The problem is..........MOST, (not all) of todays cars look like "shapeless wedges, except my '06 mustang;):D

REX

no fair, I drive an 05:)

There's a Charger and an Impalia parked across the street... looking out my window I'm not sure after dark which is which, Chevy's dark blue, the Dodge is black...

d'kid

Well here are my thoughts. I’m not sure at point Scott Kalittas Car blew up but it looked to me like it was well before the finish line how far that I am unsure of. So what would of 1000' done in that particular instance is unknown. The way I feel is that we will never be able to predict the unpredictable, if someone told you every single event in the Kalitta accident would happen before it happened we all would say NO way. I do believe that there are many ways I believe we can make the sport safer, but I am not nowhere near educated enough to explain them. I love the idea of the chute launchers. The idea of the burst panel connected to the chutes is a great idea. I think the engines can be detuned so they don’t blow up as much but how to do that I have zero idea. These crew chiefs always seem to make up for any changes they throw at them. How about this, create a rule that only allows a certain number of blocks for an event yeah the show might suffer at first but I think the crew chiefs will figure that out. But the way I feel is we can prevent a similar accident in the future that has already happened but we will never be able to prepare for something no matter how hard we try we don’t know is coming. Most fatal accidents are like fingerprints very rare are any 2 alike. And another point I would like to make is 1000' drag racing going to keep 2 cars from colliding at 300+ mph? Chances are very minimal. I’m for 1000' drag racing but it’s not the only answer.

It is not meant to be.

REX

no fair, I drive an 05:)

There's a Charger and an Impalia parked across the street... looking out my window I'm not sure after dark which is which, Chevy's dark blue, the Dodge is black...

d'kid

LOL...........yeah, they both look like Taxi Cabs, I could not believe when they came out w/the 4 door charger w/the yellow paint and bumblebee accents.

i see one coming I feel like hailing the darned things, what were they thinkin' anyway.:confused:;):D

REX

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back