Not enough whining about slowing the cars down (1 Viewer)

One of the things that makes drag racing a hard sell on TV is the fact that each race is over so quickly. The power and speed that make it exciting for the fans just doesn't come across very well. We all know that. Now it's even shorter. My 12 year old son, who only casually watches, remarked "Wow, that was over quick" today as he walked through the TV room. I think there's a huge difference, 320 ft. is a lot. For safety's sake, I think this had to be done but I hope it's only temporary. I'm no expert but I can easily tell the difference between 300 mph and 330, or 310...at the track or on TV. When Schumacher ran 336 at Columbus I was in the pits without a view of the track. I remarked to my wife that was a really fast pass. I could hear the difference and I'm half deaf.

One of the things that makes drag racing a hard sell on TV is the fact that each race is over so quickly. The power and speed that make it exciting for the fans just doesn't come across very well. We all know that. Now it's even shorter. My 12 year old son, who only casually watches, remarked "Wow, that was over quick" today as he walked through the TV room. I think there's a huge difference, 320 ft. is a lot. For safety's sake, I think this had to be done but I hope it's only temporary. I'm no expert but I can easily tell the difference between 300 mph and 330, or 310...at the track or on TV. When Schumacher ran 336 at Columbus I was in the pits without a view of the track. I remarked to my wife that was a really fast pass. I could hear the difference and I'm half deaf.

oh no, no you can't. and your 12 year old is on crack:D:D:D

I was racing at E Town this weekend.. & this is what I heard... I cant say if it's reliable or a bunch of BS but its interesting...

I was told the NJ State Police have just finished their investigation, however they (NJ State Police) can't release their findings until NHRA completes "Their" investigation...

Odd. Why would the NJ State Police take immediate control of the crash site and immediately launch their own investigation into it's cause only to hold their findings until the sanctioning body finishes their own investigation? Only because that makes absolutely NO sense do I believe it to be 100% accurate. Politics as usual.

This, in my very humble and minimally educated mind would seem to put the new safety committee behind the power curve right from the start if NHRA is holding back information that may help them do their jobs better. God, I sincerely hope we're wrong.

If you've been watching and participating long enough you can tell a difference between 1000 and 1320. For Sure. Either way, I don't care how they slow them down from my fan perspective. 280mph going through the speed trap at 1/4 would be fine with me.
I just want the 1/4 back in the equation at some point.

Odd. Why would the NJ State Police take immediate control of the crash site and immediately launch their own investigation into it's cause only to hold their findings until the sanctioning body finishes their own investigation? Only because that makes absolutely NO sense do I believe it to be 100% accurate. Politics as usual.

This, in my very humble and minimally educated mind would seem to put the new safety committee behind the power curve right from the start if NHRA is holding back information that may help them do their jobs better. God, I sincerely hope we're wrong.

Gordon.. The State of NJ has a law that says the NJ State Police are the in charge of ALL Racing in the State, & WILL investigate any fatal accidents that occur during any race in the state...

However I do not know "WHY" they (NJSP) would withhold their findings pending the results of NHRA's investigation...

If NHRA were to take 4 yrs to do their investigation would the state of NJ let the State Police withhold the results of the State investigation ????

I Don't Know!! Like I said in my previous post I heard it from someone who is connected in Drag Racing, however that don't mean he is correct.. it could be BS.... The only way we'll know for sure is to wait a few months and see if either the State or NHRA publishes their findings....

I do know there are several eye witness versions (People who were at the end of the track and on Pension Rd. (very close to where the car was...and they all vary to some extent...

Just as a point of information I am a retired police Sgt. & was in charge of our Dept's Fatal Accident Squad... I also spent 6 months at Northwestern University studying accident investigation & Reconstruction...

I saw the accident but from the starting line through binoculars.. and I can't give an honest opinion from what I saw... & I wouldn't either because I probably know 2% of what really happened...

God Bless Scott...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back