Phoenix Track (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
See there are many threads here on the tracks prep and condition this past race. Just wondering if this is NHRA's way of slowing down the cars during qualifing and race day? Maybe don't prep the track as usual, throw a curve at them and let the crew chiefs figure it out. OK, but with some tracks offering up only 3 laps in qualifing and some teams on a tight budget is that fair to everybody? Even for the high powered teams is it safe? They all expect a quick, fast, and safe track at every race and it is maybe not prepared as in the past. But if so were they informed of this in advance? Also not to prep the track consistantly during the whole weekend should not happen.

I am not suggesting that this was the case! Just asking.

Ron Capps mentioned that the track was bumpy. That would be a factor in getting down the track, especially in F/C. If the track stays open, they need to laser grind it or re-pave it. My 2 cents.

Brian Coradi made a statement during Q3 that the track does test well with the gripometer but then doesn't take the power. He was blaming the track itself, not the prep.

Brian Coradi made a statement during Q3 that the track does test well with the gripometer but then doesn't take the power. He was blaming the track itself, not the prep.
OK that would make sense if the track was bumpy. It would look like they are loosing traction, but when hitting a bump upsets the car.

What Safety Safari does with the tracks is amazing. The way they bring back a suitable Racing surface from torrential heavy rains, temperature swings, motor oil, alcohol, nitro, gasoline brake fluid spills, crash scrapes and blowing sand and dust….. just amazing year after year.
I do get a little miffed sometimes though - when I see cars only successfully getting down one lane during a particular session. Just looks fishy sometimes. Especially when it’s not always the “underdog” cars that don’t make it down…. it can be the points leader and pole sitters.

OK that would make sense if the track was bumpy. It would look like they are loosing traction, but when hitting a bump upsets the car.
The left lane was the bumpy one according to Capps. Iffy early but it came around later on. Still, the problems from Friday and Saturday appeared to be rectified for Sunday. Similar conditions, a whole lot less tire smoke and a number of 330+ passes.

The left lane was the bumpy one according to Capps. Iffy early but it came around later on. Still, the problems from Friday and Saturday appeared to be rectified for Sunday. Similar conditions, a whole lot less tire smoke and a number of 330+ passes.
The talk here about track conditions being not up to par, or consistant day to day, during the weekend due to possible track prep, bumps or whatever, did'nt seem to affect Brittany's 3.68 - 336mph in I believe the left lane (looking at the TV) in the first round.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back