Track Prep (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
I was talking to a friend last night that was at Firebird running stock and he said that the word going around was NHRA changed track prep solution from VHT to some water base product because of the EPA. I had heard about the water based product being used in NASCAR but not in NHRA. Does anyone know if this is true?

Just a question NOT a statement....

I like it... it may bring back the Chi-Town style 1/2 track or longer burn-out. Anybody thought about just 'Gold Dust' the first 60 to a hundred feet, and the only place you can use VHT is in the 'bleach-box'?

d'kid

So, what happens when it's a cold day? 70* track temp? m It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to make the loosest part of the track the place where the cars are going the fastest...

I called a local track and they knew of no such ruling by NHRA or EPA concerning mixing traction compound with water instead of alcohol.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure if or when NHRA decides to make a switch in track prep products it will be just as good if not better than VHT Track Bite. I haven't heard of any water-based products that are equal to VHT but being water based i'm sure it would be a lot cheaper to use then VHT.

Hey Rich...how would you like to roll our Blown Alcohol Dragsters through a water box full of VHT to do our burnouts? hahaha...you can go first:) and make sure you back WAY up before rolling in to lanch!

Good point Kenny. The way I read Burk's editorial is that EPA is concerned about the continued use of an alcohol mix and not that water has been used yet but apparently there are some that say it has. And like you Kenny, I sure that it would be tested in all kinds of conditions before NHRA would ever dream of using it. The people at the track I talked to got a laugh out of it when I asked if they anything about it.

Sadly, there have been quite a few crashes to start the year off and not all of them have been at Firebird. I did hear that another car crashed this weekend in Phoenix and that now the SC cars were having trouble getting down the track. They stopped qualifying and re-prepped the who surface.

Update from photog Dave Kommel:
Now I'm really glad I didn't go back to Firebird. It appears that the rumors of the wrong traction compound are true and this weekend's action is canceled.

DRC confirms it:
NHRA made the following announcement a few minutes ago:

"Racing at the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event at Firebird International Raceway in Chandler,
Arizona has been postponed.

NHRA and Firdbird officials have been working feverishly to correct a problem that was discovered
during the NHRA Arizona Nationals and despite their best efforts have not been able to overcome the
conditions. It was found on Friday that the wrong product of traction compound was sent to the
track and was used to prepare the racetrack the last two weeks. Officials believe that this is the
root of the problems with the racing surface.

In the best interests of safety and concern for attending competitors, officials feel this is the
best decision that can be made. The remainder of the event will continue at a later date that will
be announced in the near future.

For more information, contact Mike Rice, NHRA Pacific Divison Director or Chuck Sunstrom, Track
Manager at Firebird beginning on Monday"
LODRS 7-1 - PHOENIX: Racing Will Be Rescheduled

Last edited:
Just got home, the alky cars had no real problems but everyone else did. Hopefully they get it worked out before SIR next weekend.

slippery.jpg

This whole Phoenix disaster is reaching monumental proportions. 2 weekends, and not one single complete round of sportsman eliminations. Incompetence? I'm not sure I'd go there yet, but I know there were a bunch of out-of-town racers who traveled many miles, used up two weeks of Vacation and nothing to show for it.
In these tough economic times I talked to more than a few of them who were going to base their decision to run a full divisional schedule or not based on their performance this weekend...this could help many of them decide on a partial schedule in 2010...beleive it!!

Using a water based compound leads me to wonder about how long it will take to evaporate...and where is the extra drying time in the schedule after an oil-down cleanup?

My question is how do you NOT know that you've received and used the wrong product BEFORE applying it to the track? Doesn't anyone pay attention to what is received or read labels?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back