Track Prep 101...! (1 Viewer)

Tim5636sc

Nitro Member
From Comp Plus: Written By Bobby Bennett:

Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - AS WE SEE IT – A STRONG CASE OF INEPT TRACK PREP AND MORE

Best Editorial this year! To be honest, the racing on Sunday was Pothetic!!! I remember texting Chris Cook about it during 1st round, which just for the fuel cars took about 90 minutes!!! Then, once the pro stock cars came onto the track, every car in the right lane in the 1st (5) Pairs of cars shook hard at the top of 1st gear. Not the "SHOW" that we pay to watch! Well written Bobby!

Timmah!

Could it be that NHRA is under prepping the track for a reason. It could be that they don't want the track pulling the tires apart. With the downforce of the T/F cars coupled with a sticky track,is tire chunking a possibility? :confused:

Could it be that NHRA is under prepping the track for a reason. It could be that they don't want the track pulling the tires apart. With the downforce of the T/F cars coupled with a sticky track,is tire chunking a possibility? :confused:

Well if they are at least they could "under" prep them equally. Bobby hit the nail on the head. The racing surfaces have continued to get worse for the last few years. Perhaps NHRA should call Jim Weinert over at the "I" and get the lowdown on how to work a track.

Well if they are at least they could "under" prep them equally. Bobby hit the nail on the head. The racing surfaces have continued to get worse for the last few years. Perhaps NHRA should call Jim Weinert over at the "I" and get the lowdown on how to work a track.

Or Larry Crispe at Bandimere!!!;)

Tim, Bobby hit it right square on the head. Wonder what Bruton S. thought about race at his track. This explains the DSR delima, NHRA had to do something drastic to change focus from this awful display. :rolleyes:

I've stated the same thing after most races this year. Underprepped track to limit performance. Racing this week was pathetic as stated in previous posts. After Sundays race, although on a hot track, I too felt track conditions- not from heat- we've all seen cars go down hot tracks before- were terrible. Before I was going to again state the obvious, I was going to wait and see what others had to say. In most reports from the race in Vegas each story mentions racers are getting more vocal about track conditions. Bobby B. hit it out of the park with his thoughts on the subject.
Yes, heavier and stiffer cars do make a difference, but, the great tuners and drivers have faced obstacles in the past and perservered. Maybe 1 track so far this year with suspect conditions but 5? Com'on NHRA!

I said(looks like NHRA has figured out how to slow the cars down)while watching the show on Sunday.I guess I was not too far off.

I think that's what's going on,under prepping. It's bad for the fuel cars but the glue is the only thing sticking the P/S cars. That could be why NHRA gave the P/S cars more wickerbill. In most of the one lane racetracks this year,lane choice determines the winner in P/S. I know NHRA and Goodyear are up against it because of the tire issue,but something needs to be done and soon. I hope the hint Bobby dropped about the Atlanta track isn't true. Rumor has it the track was ground but is too smooth and it won't hook. If they start that tire smoking crap there,I probably will find something else to do next year.

If a lousy track is NHRA's excuse for a safer track then this sport's in Trouble! I had asked on another thread if the NHRA safety safari was inept, or was NHRA just telling them to under-prep the tracks anymore? I'm beginning to wonder to be honest! Wasn't Compton's reason for the Rev Limiters to create more side by side racing? You need a good track these cars can get down first to find out if the limiter's doing it's job don't you? :confused:

Lets see, we'll give the cars more nitro and then make sure the track is junk. No wonder they were trying to unload the series at a bargin price. And no wonder they were turned down.;)

E.T.'s are back to what they were 10 to 15 years ago and the prices are up!
I agree with Bobby on this one! I think attendance will eventually drop if it continues down this path.
If the tires are the issue then allow other companies who want to break in but don't because of NHRA's mandatory crap!
Competition is good it breeds better products and gives the competitors a choice and might even make it a little more affordable.
If the performance keeps spiraling I will spend my money some where else.

You now as a racer all I ever asked was to have an equal chance to win. Why would I continue to race if I know that I will not have that equal chance?

I am sure that is a question starting to be asked by many a racer. There are many opportunities to race out there... Hope it doesn't come to this but what I have seen this year they are certainly going down that road.....
jim

Slowing the cars is one thing, but by all means BOTH lanes need to be equal at all times, or the sport has no credibility. There needs to be fair conditions for all competitors.

Maybe it's just me but I don't like the slowing down crap there is nothing I like about controlled competition.
I know safety concerns and all but there really isn't anything safe about Drag Racing it's an extreme type of sport no different than a man going down the side of a mountain just for the thrill!
Nobody is trying to regulate them regulating to me means an eventual slow death of what ever is being regulated.

If NHRA was interested in the track conditions being optimal and fair, they would have turned the grooming duties over the LVMS staff like they did a couple years ago when the ineptitude of the NHRA track "gurus" proved how little they know.

I've always stated the the direction of the crew prepping the track should be handled by the local staff. Afterall, they know best what works on THEIR racing surface.

Knowing first hand how incredible a job the LVMS staff does with their track, from 40 degree track temps at the Thanksgiving Bracket Nationals to the 145+ degree temps in the dead of summer, I was embarrassed for Chris Blair, Cliff Ricci, and the rest of the LVMS staff after watching qualifying on Saturday night and eliminations on Sunday.

If NHRA was interested in the track conditions being optimal and fair, they would have turned the grooming duties over the LVMS staff like they did a couple years ago when the ineptitude of the NHRA track "gurus" proved how little they know.

I've always stated the the direction of the crew prepping the track should be handled by the local staff. Afterall, they know best what works on THEIR racing surface.

Knowing first hand how incredible a job the LVMS staff does with their track, from 40 degree track temps at the Thanksgiving Bracket Nationals to the 145+ degree temps in the dead of summer, I was embarrassed for Chris Blair, Cliff Ricci, and the rest of the LVMS staff after watching qualifying on Saturday night and eliminations on Sunday.

I understand the desire to have the local track crew to handle track prep but on the other side if the same crew does it every week in theory doesn't that mean consistant prep? Granted right now its consistantly not right but I can understand why they would want one crew to handle it week in week out.

Plus I'm not sure that every track would have the people on hand that can tune a track to conditions needed for nitro cars.

Maybe it's just me but I don't like the slowing down crap there is nothing I like about controlled competition.
I know safety concerns and all but there really isn't anything safe about Drag Racing it's an extreme type of sport no different than a man going down the side of a mountain just for the thrill!
Nobody is trying to regulate them regulating to me means an eventual slow death of what ever is being regulated.

I want a good race. If only my choices are one car going 4.40 at 335 or two cars going side by side at 4.65 and 320 I'll take the side by side action

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back