Track Prep 101...! (1 Viewer)

I want a good race. If only my choices are one car going 4.40 at 335 or two cars going side by side at 4.65 and 320 I'll take the side by side action

That's you PJ and that's cool. :)
I have seen side by side 4.40's in T/F and 4.70's with the occassional 4.60's in F/C I liked that and would like to see it again those days seem to be long gone. :(
I now your stance on the new points system I agree with you 100% that is still a form of controlled competition manufactured drama! ;)
Me no like but that's me! :mad:

That's you PJ and that's cool. :)
I have seen side by side 4.40's in T/F and 4.70's with the occassional 4.60's in F/C I liked that and would like to see it again those days seem to be long gone. :(
I now your stance on the new points system I agree with you 100% that is still a form of controlled competition manufactured drama! ;)
Me no like but that's me! :mad:

I feel the same way Bob, tomorrow on ESPN Classic they are running the last fall race from Joliet (2005) and it's almost scary to see how much better of a show (by show I mean on track action as well as who was in the booth with Mike) we had just 2 and half years ago compared to where we are today.

Slowing the cars is one thing, but by all means BOTH lanes need to be equal at all times, or the sport has no credibility. There needs to be fair conditions for all competitors.

WHAT HE SAID!!!

NASCAR did it several years ago with restrictor plates and that worked out. Make the track equal and limit the performance by cutting fuel volume, eliminate one mag, or slow down the blower or a combination of things. But whatever they do the winner should not be decided by lane choice.

Seems to me the real problem is the NHRA has no quantitative measure of track prep. What they do is take a guess and watch the races to see if the guess was correct. Lately there have been a lot of bad guesses.

It is relatively simple to measure coefficient of friction and the adhesion of the rubber to the concrete. If they did those two things they would have a meaningful spec to work to and at a minimum the two lanes would be about the same.

There is a simple rule for managing anything, namely if you can't measure it you can't manage and control it. Right now it is happenstance if the track prep is sufficient and/or the lanes are equally good or bad.

I turned off the qualifying show and only watched the final two rounds last week because of the poor track conditions. Another race like the last two and I probably won't watch at all. If the objective of the track prep is to lose the audience, they are succeeding beyond all expectations.

There is a simple rule for managing anything, namely if you can't measure it you can't manage and control it

OK, now you're being silly -- being totally logical. This is the most cogent post in this thread. NHRA spends tens of thousands of dollars setting up the track, at least they could develop some scientific process for comparison.

I turned off the qualifying show and only watched the final two rounds last week because of the poor track conditions.

I wanted to turn it off. Unfortunately I was there live :)

Actually what you missed on TV were the endless oildown delays. It was ridiculous. When Jeggy broke in qualifying, they spread more kitty litter than I've ever seen. Must've taken 30 minutes. And it happened again and again. Ugh.

Let's remember that the Best track prep will only hold for so long. I don't think there's a track in the country (Even Chi-town!) that can hold Fuel cars consistantly when track temps get over 125 degrees! I sure wish somebody who's prepped tracks for Nitro cars would chime in here and fill us in on the goings on with track prep.

NHRA spends tens of thousands of dollars setting up the track, at least they could develop some scientific process for comparison,

we didnt have one but some of the teams have a tool/device that does measure what the track will hold, kinda like a big 8" dia. rubber circle on a torque wrench.

we didnt have one but some of the teams have a tool/device that does measure what the track will hold, kinda like a big 8" dia. rubber circle on a torque wrench.

Yep, and there was a team out there with one. I can't remember which one -- but it wasn't Lanny Miglizzi aka the "track whisperer", it was someone else. They only used it on one side of the track, clearly the side their team was on. Rick Stewart and occasionally another NHRA official watched them in fascination while they did it. Kinda like the apes at the beginning of "2001 - A Space Odyssey" around the obelisk :)

Yep, and there was a team out there with one. I can't remember which one -- but it wasn't Lanny Miglizzi aka the "track whisperer", it was someone else. They only used it on one side of the track, clearly the side their team was on. Rick Stewart and occasionally another NHRA official watched them in fascination while they did it. Kinda like the apes at the beginning of "2001 - A Space Odyssey" around the obelisk :)

That would be DSR's Track guru..!

I think that Lanny Does a great job in reading a track, but there is a such thing as OVER THINKING a situation, and I believe, In my own personal opinion that he does this from time to time.

Simple solution is this..... The track manager's who run these facilities are pretty smart people! They understand what their track has, and what it need's to run a consistant 4.50 tune up. Let them do it! NHRA, let Robin and John Crosby have a day off! Each track has it's own "TRAITS". Bring in Lanny, Bernie Federley, and a few other NHRA team's together on Wed, make a plan, and follow thru! Simple Solution....For the Nitro Teams... (Pro Stock team's Like a completely Different track!)

But, this might give the racer's and fan's a better "SHOW" and after all, that's what it's all about right?

"The Track Whisperer" first time I heard it used was 2007. Lanny was scooting around the track on his little yellow creeper peering through some sort of sighting device while running small RC Cars up and down the racing surface. I turned to her and said "what the hell?" she put her finger to her lips and said "ssssshhhhhhhh! it's the track whisperer" I will ask her where she got it.

Dan

Is anybody suprised that NHRA spends all this Ca$h on resurfacing tracks, yet could care less how little their prepped at Natl. events?

As disgusted as I was watching these races , I can imagine how disgusted the racers were having to run on these subpar racing sufaces. C'mon NHRA, DO SOMETHING! :mad:

Curious, anybody here ever do any track prep?

Back in my day, the car crew would do the prep before their car ran and it wasn't easy and that was when the horsepower was much lower.

A slick track is the equalizer for the independent/single team racer. Look at Wilky, he's done pretty good so far this season.

A slick track will also spotlight the better driver and not by a full-track pedal-fest either, but, by the driver who catches it early and controls it the rest of the way down.

Paul I have no experience with prepping a racetrack, which is why I suggested someone with Prepping a Natl. event track chime in here. I'm sure there's far more to it than any of us know. But I think Tim Wlkerson's success this year could have more to do with the weight change than a slick track.

It's not rocket science! We prep our track week in and week out the very same way and you will not find a more consistent track. If NHRA would listen to Jim Weinert from IHRA they could make the deal good in an instant. Jim has actually given some pointers to the folks over there and they refuse to listen.

I have even offered my help to Atlanta and as always I have gotten no response back. We actually have tried many things and put oil on the track on purpose then clean it up to make sure what works and what doesn't.

My help is here if NHRA wants it I would just love to see the racers safe at ALL times and not fighting the cars AND the track!

Jeff Miles
Owner/Operator Carolina Dragway

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back