jimbo

Nitro Member
Was todays race track surface and traction woes caused By:
• Sun and Tempurature
• Track prep or lack of
• Tuners not having a good baseline @2 qual. runs
• Gainesville's track needing a new surface
My take is combination of #2 and #4.

It seemed like hit or miss-especialy for the PS guys, never have seen that many cars in PS and Fc get out of shape at one race.

• Sun and Tempurature
• Track prep or lack of

I think you can't underestimate the fact that they had only two runs on the track, on a day that had consistent overcast, on a relatively green track because it had been rained on the day before. Then today it was bright and sunny, with a hot track.

It seemed to really affect the Pro Stock cars a bunch. Probably a lack of rubber more than anything else.

Like KJ said on the broadcast, they Pro Stock cars are producing big HP with a light rear. Tough to put the power to the pavement.

Track surface is only maybe 4 years old.

I think you are right, the surface is not the problem. This was the first time this year the teams were faced with a track temp close to 120 and the tire smoke showed they weren't used to it.

WRONG.

The surface is not old. And the Safety Safari did their job.. What horrible post..

How many 4.59's in the first rd. of top fuel? it was already pretty hot by then.

Wilky with a 4.84 in rd. 2? yea the track sucks!

a pair of 6.65's in the finals of PS..

Some crew chief's earned their pay,some did'nt.

• Sun and Tempurature
• Track prep or lack of

I haven't gone back to check the numbers, but the track appeared pretty fair to me - there were good runs and bad runs in both lanes, neither stuck out as definitely better or worse than the other.

WRONG.

The surface is not old. And the Safety Safari did their job.. What horrible post..

How many 4.59's in the first rd. of top fuel? it was already pretty hot by then.

Wilky with a 4.84 in rd. 2? yea the track sucks!

a pair of 6.65's in the finals of PS..

Some crew chief's earned their pay,some did'nt.

I was not questioning the Safety Safari, I just question wether the track is prepared to "limit Performance". No proof, but the last 3/4 of a season it seems there have been some questionable traction issues at the events.
No disrespect was intended to any crew-only 2 qual runs definately handicapped eveyone.
As far as the sun and temp, conditions will be far worse come june, july and august. Maybe running 90% is not going to be as easy everyone thinks. That is if everyone is running 90%, which is questionable.
As far as to track surface goes, what I can't understand is with some tracks there always seen to be an issue with a bump or trouble at the transition point from concrete and ashphalt, it would seen with todays technology this would not be the case.
Maybe I have been making more out of this that than is needed, but this is my thoughts as I watch every week.
Thanks

As far as to track surface goes, what I can't understand is with some tracks there always seen to be an issue with a bump or trouble at the transition point from concrete and ashphalt, it would seen with todays technology this would not be the case.
Maybe I have been making more out of this that than is needed, but this is my thoughts as I watch every week.
Thanks

Jim
I was talking to my brother today and he was talking about the track this weekend and Monday testing. During the discussion, a bump was mentioned as well as a section of the track that rubber will not stick to. They ran their new car and said they did that because "if we can get down this track, we can get down any track"...........take that for what it is worth ;)

It's hard to get track conditions perfect for all classes of cars that run the event. What would be good for one class could be bad for another class.

I do know that for the Top Fuel classes, that to much "bite" in the track will cause tire "chunking".... which is a very dangerous situation.

Also track conditions or the condition of the track consitantly change with time. Ground swell/shrinkage is a big factor that changes track sufaces causing bumps, ripples, high and low spots..etc. The only cure for that is grinding the track sufaces when needed.

Bottom line is it's hard to satisfy everyone. Everyone has to race on the same surface, the key is who can make the proper adjustments for the current conditions to get the car down the track.

Also track conditions or the condition of the track consitantly change with time. Ground swell/shrinkage is a big factor that changes track sufaces causing bumps, ripples, high and low spots..etc. The only cure for that is grinding the track sufaces when needed.

Absolutely true with the possible exception of the Motorplex. Their all-concrete surface contains underground cables and weights which were supposed to provide a way to keep everything level.

Does anyone know if that system has ever been adjusted? And if so, how often?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back