Not enough whining about slowing the cars down (1 Viewer)

haagar

Nitro Member
With many of the drivers and crew chiefs saying that they think 1000' is a decent compromise until they figure out how to slow the cars down, where is the uproar about slowing the cars down from all the "drag racing is about speed" people?

What I took from the interviews was that most of them aren't thrilled about 1000', but seem to feel that until they figure something else out it is what had to be done.

As far as the speed goes... I still have a hard time telling the difference between a 300 mph side by side run and a 330 one.

Last edited:
I'm sorry what interviews, I guess I missed them. Since I didn't watch more than 5 minutes. There's your uproar.Turning it off.

Which is your right to do Bob.

I could not see the difference on TV. I can't see a half a second.

They covered that last 320 so fast it was over before I (just me, not implying you), could see a difference.

Respectfully. really, sorry you don't like it, but life, as they say, will (as the show), go on.

REX

I do notice a half a second. That being said the 1000' feet is okay until they slow them down. The races are just too short. I would rather watch 4.90 at 1320' than 3.90 at 1000'. More racing for me to watch. Speed is for Bonneville. Drag racing is side by side competition. The performance bar just needs to be reset. JMO.

I do notice a half a second. That being said the 1000' feet is okay until they slow them down. The races are just too short. I would rather watch 4.90 at 1320' than 3.90 at 1000'. More racing for me to watch. Speed is for Bonneville. Drag racing is side by side competition. The performance bar just needs to be reset. JMO.

I agree 100%. I am sure I could get used to 1000', but there can be a lot that happens in that last 320'. It is too bad that they let it get as far out of hand as they have instead of taking incremental steps along the way to slow the cars down (ones that work, not the ones that they have tried).

I also like Mike Dunn's comment about getting rid of the rev limiter.

The only bad thing I see about changing the distance is all of the new hoop-la about the first 3.998 second run at 1000' or the first 300 mph pass at 1000'
It all gets kinda tiring.

The only bad thing I see about changing the distance is all of the new hoop-la about the first 3.998 second run at 1000' or the first 300 mph pass at 1000'
It all gets kinda tiring.

Im thinking that someone who has been out of touch with the sport for a few weeks and unaware of the new 1000' track and then logs onto to view only the race results is seeing times in TF and FC in the low 4's and saying to himself "holy crap! they really have stepped up the performance of these cars".

Which is your right to do Bob.

I could not see the difference on TV. I can't see a half a second.

They covered that last 320 so fast it was over before I (just me, not implying you), could see a difference.

Respectfully. really, sorry you don't like it, but life, as they say, will (as the show), go on.

REX

I have talked to a few people there and they were down at 1320' marker and they said most every fuel car was under power to the 1/4 finish line. It would be interesting to see the data.:eek:

I also like Mike Dunn's comment about getting rid of the rev limiter.

Ditto.

Obviously, I don't know what caused Scott's explosion (and I refuse to speculate), but it would be interesting to see NHRA's reaction if they learned it had anything at all to do with the Rev Limiter.

I think the problem lies in the fact that the current speeds and e.t.'s are not in line with the safety of the current chassis in both nitro categories. The horsepower and speeds have FAR exceeded the abilities of a "dinosaur" chassis design that has been updated over time due to findings from accidents ranging from minimal to fatal.

I for one miss the full 1/4 mile runs and agree that "drag racing is speed", but foremost I agree that something has to be done to either...A. slow the cars down to keep safety/technology in-line (as in 1000ft) or, B. NHRA give the "creative thinking" back to the crew cheifs and engineers to design a more safe race car to keep up with our current e.t.s/speed and allow for an increase in future years to come.

My sentiments exactly.

x3..I agree 100%. After watching Pro Stock,then the switch back to the nitro cars,the difference is huge.

I have talked to a few people there and they were down at 1320' marker and they said most every fuel car was under power to the 1/4 finish line. It would be interesting to see the data.:eek:

Probably because "old habits die hard".

It looked like that to me too, however I have heard quite a few times a fuel car on the throttle for a instant as they were past the stripe in the "old:rolleyes:days.

Another thing was all the late chutes I used to see.

Even 200 mph is so fast if you pull the chute at 1100', you would just feel them hit as you crossed the stripe.

Most likely the drivers will need to adjust, after all, we are literally talking about fractions of a second here.

REX

Im thinking that someone who has been out of touch with the sport for a few weeks and unaware of the new 1000' track and then logs onto to view only the race results is seeing times in TF and FC in the low 4's and saying to himself "holy crap! they really have stepped up the performance of these cars".

I was talking about the special stuff that ESPN is doing: zooming in on the timing board and that kind of thing. I was fully aware they were changin things.

This could just be the ticket needed for NHRA's new marketing firm to use to attract new fans. I can just hear it now.."Sunday. Sunday. Sunday.....see fire belching fuel dragsters in side by side 3 second competition at beautiful (fill in the blank ) raceway park":rolleyes:

Ditto.

Obviously, I don't know what caused Scott's explosion (and I refuse to speculate), but it would be interesting to see NHRA's reaction if they learned it had anything at all to do with the Rev Limiter.

I was racing at E Town this weekend.. & this is what I heard... I cant say if it's reliable or a bunch of BS but its interesting...

I was told the NJ State Police have just finished their investigation, however they (NJ State Police) can't release their findings until NHRA completes "Their" investigation..

IF there is any truth to this, the State Police will never be able to release the results of their investigation while the NHRA is still conducting "Their" investigation..
Now if NHRA is as quick at releasing info on Scott's accident as that are with the DR accident we'll never get the honest results.... JMO

So a governmentally controlled body cannot release investigation findings until their private sector counterparts do?

I'd file this under the "bunch of BS" option.

Brian

Well seems like a big secret,its our race,so says Bob Frey,i think we should know the facts period.

First, if I hear Paul Page say 1000' Nitro runs one more time, I think I will puke.

Second, it seemed to me that about half the TF/FC drivers drove it out the back door, and many didn't pull the chutes until after they passed the 1/4 mile line.

I had no issues with the race except for the uneven lanes. Lots of close racing. Most of the tire smoking runs were because they were in Denver and had a hole out, not because the 1000 foot racing.

I can't wait to see what happens at sea level.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back