POLL - YOUR PREFERENCE ON SLOWING NITRO CARS (1 Viewer)

HOW WOULD YOU RATHER SEE NITRO CLASSES SLOWED

• SLOW THE CARS & STAY @ 1,000ft

Votes: 26 100.0%
  • LEAVE THE CARS ALONE & SHORTEN THE DISTANCE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What is all this tires can't take it nonsense? Right now, tire damage is at an all time low. Teams are getting as many as 10 runs out of a set and then cycling them out simply because they're at the end of their life span. This is a far cry from 1 run tires of a few years ago. At Brainerd when all the records were set, there was little to no report of tire damage.

Mike, with us approaching the same speeds that we had the "chunking" problem with, don't you think we will have the same problem again soon ??
Or has there been a "new" tire since then??
Could it be the 6 disc is easier on the tires??

How about every fuel team have 3 or maybe 4 bullets per event? Each could be marked and registered when the car is at tech. When a motor breaks a rod or anything that requires more than a normal service, it is done. Obviously, this would need to be fine tuned and clarified.

I think if crew chiefs knew that they would be out of competition when number 4 is blown up, they'd surely find a new way to make them run competitively under the rules that are in place. This would also likely eliminate the need for oil down fines and points penalties.

After being a "fan in the stands" at Indy for Q2 on Saturday, one thing's for sure, the current oil down penalties don't work.

1) Too costly, they'd have to have an official in every pit to ensure that only "normal service" is preformed.
2) And if both use up their last bullet in the semi's then what ? no final rd.

I like the idea of preping the track once before the start of event and cleaning oildowns as they occur, otherwise leave the track alone. Limit the size of the fuel tank as well.

Unfortunately, I haven't made it to too many races recently, and my memory isn't as good as it used to be, but this is my personal experience: I went to an IHRA race here in Tulsa, I can't remember the year, probably 2009 or 10, (a year or 2 before the track went to NHRA sanction), and the race was a BLAST! Full quarter mile racing, huge nitro pit warm-ups (Terry McMillan fogged-in the entire pit area), including throttle wacks, and night qualifying with flames you could see from outer space. Bobby Lagana Jr legged his family fueler to the No. 1 spot and you could have seen Bobby Sr's smile from outer space too. I went to the Motorplex the next year or 2 yrs later to an NHRA race and when I was in the stands I wondered why the nitro cars kept shutting down early. It literally took about 5 or 6 pair before I remembered they were only racing to 1000 ft. It sucked. I don't care what anyone says, there is a huge difference between a quarter mile and 1000 ft, from the spectator's point of view, and it isn't good at all. I've been a rabid fan of drag racing for over 45 years and I've also had the privilege of working on a nitro crew for a short time, and I think sticking to 1000 ft is going to cause long-term complications. I realize that the change came after we lost Scott, and like others, I thought the change was necessary at the time, but the time has come to slow the nitro cars and go back to 1320. OUR sport was built around the quarter mile!
Yes, there needs to be a performance differential between the pro nitro cars and the sportsman cars, so my proposal is this: make the two classes (TAD and TAFC) into true pro nitro feeder classes: drop the alcohol and injectors, and run a blown nitro combo similar to a nostalgia car in both classes. Single mag, single pump etc. The way things are now, a sportsman racer gets experience running either nitro or a blower, but not both.

Yes, there needs to be a performance differential between the pro nitro cars and the sportsman cars, so my proposal is this: make the two classes (TAD and TAFC) into true pro nitro feeder classes: drop the alcohol and injectors, and run a blown nitro combo similar to a nostalgia car in both classes. Single mag, single pump etc. The way things are now, a sportsman racer gets experience running either nitro or a blower, but not both.

And what about those of us that love the alcohol classes and the racers and crews that love racing alcohol? Not everything is about nitro.

And what about those of us that love the alcohol classes and the racers and crews that love racing alcohol? Not everything is about nitro.

Except, this websire is named "Nitromater" which would indicate to most on here "everything IS about nitro". Sorry I just couldn't resist the smartxxx remark. Don't take offense.

Hey now, not everyone here is a "NITRO OR NOTHIN" fan I love the alky classes. They are the fastest cars that still leave on a clutch, with the rpms up, and the driver still shifts. I love the classes all the way down to stock. I just plain LOVE drag racing, period. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being NITRO or NOTHIN, to each his own. I'm just not one.
AS far as 1000ft goes I still stand behind NHRA on that one. (And from one that seldom agrees with NHRA, that's saying something). It was equal to all teams, didn't
make any equipment obsolete, didn't cost the tracks any $$, didn't make any tracks obsolete. It was & is the best decision for the situation.

Mike, with us approaching the same speeds that we had the "chunking" problem with, don't you think we will have the same problem again soon ??
Or has there been a "new" tire since then??
Could it be the 6 disc is easier on the tires??

Did anyone else notice during the slo-mo of Antron's first round run at Maple Grove all of the debris coming off the car/tires? Looked to me like decent pieces of tire. Chunking? Paul mentioned the speeds approaching those of the 1320 and we're at 330'ish now.

I want to see them go back to 1320.Up here in Canada we only get ihra and they let top fuel run the full 1/4 mile and it's way more exciting.Limit the size and speed of the blower and they will HAVE to put in a final ratio gear for sure.The crew chiefs are too smart and would be right back up to 330 or higher in a short amount of time if they don't put in a gear rule.A gear rule would only let them spin the motor so high without grenading it. Hers's hoping they go back to 1320 at some point.

I want to see them go back to 1320.Up here in Canada we only get ihra and they let top fuel run the full 1/4 mile and it's way more exciting.Limit the size and speed of the blower and they will HAVE to put in a final ratio gear for sure.The crew chiefs are too smart and would be right back up to 330 or higher in a short amount of time if they don't put in a gear rule.A gear rule would only let them spin the motor so high without grenading it. Hers's hoping they go back to 1320 at some point.

They have had a gear rule for years in top fuel and funny car, even when they were running the full quarter.

Leave everything just like it is the tire size is going to stop them sooner rather then later.

Cutting fuel pumps to one will eat engines .
Limiting RPMs without limiting fuel will eat engines .
Limiting spark with out limiting fuel and RPMs will eat engines .
Key word eating engines .

Will have to go after Boost and for God's sake no more down force on those tires .
Goodyear must have pulled another Rabbet out of their Hat because flying rubber held to a minimum so far with the heat bout over .

Simple fix, for under $100 per car...

Reduce the inner diameter of the tubing from the tank to the pump to 1" I.D.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back