POLL - YOUR PREFERENCE ON SLOWING NITRO CARS (1 Viewer)

HOW WOULD YOU RATHER SEE NITRO CLASSES SLOWED

• SLOW THE CARS & STAY @ 1,000ft

Votes: 26 100.0%
  • LEAVE THE CARS ALONE & SHORTEN THE DISTANCE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
With the recent jump in performance, I'm afraid NHRA will certainly do something this off season to slow the nitro cars. Without going into detail of what method of slowing the cars, pump size-blower size-nitro percent-ect. ect. (we've beat that to death) I'm just curious as to your preference between slowing the cars or shorten the track.

None of the above. Go back to 1320 with no power limitations. The crew chiefs and drivers know the shut down area and sand trap length at each track. It should be up to them to make the pass and get it stopped with what they have to work with. This sport has turned into Nascar, cookie cutter crap.

of the 2 poll options above, neither one. There is no such thing as a "risk free" anything, much less a drag race. I do not want people to get injured or killed, but these drivers do know what they are getting into when they strap into one of these cars.

I also drag race, mind you I'm not going close to 330 mph to 1,000 foot, I am well aware something can happen to me going 110 mph at the 1/4 mile

Shorten the distance? Again? People adapted to 1,000', but I would bet my bottom dollar that if they shortened the fuel distance again, the ballgame would be over.

Sean D

Seems pretty unanimous here. None of the above, of which I agree. If anything, slow them down and go back to 1320'. I really like John McGuire's post above.

The Biggest Problem with 1000' racing and the Times/Speeds they are running now are the races are over to fast, unless you get replays its poof and done, theres no recovering from having to pedal the car, you cant run anyone down before the finish line to catch someone who pulls a holeshot on you. slowing the cars down slightly and going back to 1/4 mile will make for much more exciting RACING... Right now its not racing anymore its a freak show like the X-Games... do you think most the Casual fans who leave the stands after the nitro cars even care who won the round?

Things seem to being going along just fine, based on what we've seen over the past few weeks. Now that being said, if there are starting to really be safety concerns on the speeds these cars are running by the head men at NHRA, then yep we may see some efforts to slow them down. I doubt that would even be considered until after this season wraps up in Pomona.

Hey, if you could feasibly and economically slow the fuel cars down to about 310 in the 1/4 mile, and bring back dry hops, long burnouts, and throttle whacks in the pits, I'd be the happiest guy on these boards. I also think the chances of that happening are slim, to none. What's past, is past.

Now if by some chance they do slow the Nitro cars down, they are also going to have to do the same thing with the Alky and A/Fuel cars. You have to maintain a significant performance gap between these classes.

All this talk about slowing them down and going back to 1320...one major problem, if you slow them down you end up with top fuel and fuel funny cars performing at the level the top alcohol dragsters and funny cars are now. What do you do about them? I don't see top fuel and fuel funny cars ever returning to 1,320 period. Keep it at 1,000 feet and slow them down a little is my thought.

Now if by some chance they do slow the Nitro cars down, they are also going to have to do the same thing with the Alky and A/Fuel cars. You have to maintain a significant performance gap between these classes.

I don't think so. The majority of fans are unconcerned with alcohol cars. There have also been instances in the past where "lesser" classes have been faster than the main show. Busch Cars were quicker at some tracks than Cup cars and no one cared. Some Comp cars are quicker than Pro Stock cars and no one cares. Hell, the IHRA used to let A/Fuel cars qualify for Top Fuel and no one cared. I don't think we will see anything serious until alcohol cars are just as quick or quicker than the Pros.

rite now is the most exciting fuel racing has been since they went to 1000'.....let this play out.
even with the glue strip, these perfect runs IMO are not easy.....one run low e.t. of the world, next run pack it up.
in brainerd; beckman, dejoria, courtney all with unreal launches that ended with wild, 2 wheel, lift and lose.
the 60' and 330' e.t.'s are better than ever before.....it is a great time RITE NOW for these cars.....enjoy it while we can.
they may need to slow them someday, hopefully not soon and for sure not the remainder of this year.

Some interesting points so far gang. But as far as nitro going back to 1/4mi....come on we all know that ain't gonna happen. Besides remember the outrage
when they lowered the percentage??(so much so that they increased it). We are now running the same MPH in 1,000 that we were at 1320ft. So ya know
nhra is gonna do something,(this off season) we just don't know what yet.
When they weakened the fuel cars we hated it and they brought them back. When they shortened the track we adjusted.

We are almost to the point where the tires were "chunking". Unless they have better tires now that I don't know about, we'll be chunking soon again.
I don't have any answers, just curious as to your thoughts.

Knock all the Fuel and Alky classes down to bring back 1320' racing....smaller motors, less ignition and fuel....less downforce
It seems that Pro Stock is getting this treatment (higher wheelstands, smaller scoops, less secrecy...etc)

there was better racing in the late 90's anyway

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back