Sampey/shirley (1 Viewer)

Wow, Dave. What can I say? I admire your devotion.................

I won't get into the same pi$$ing match I did with you on another Shirley thread, but I will say that I think Chris summed it up best. All of us, including the beloved Shirley have the right to say and do what we want for the most part. But in some cases, it's just not the smartest thing to do. There is a thing called tact, and that's something that appears to have eluded a fair share of Shirley's dialogue over the years. There are many that really love Shirley's straightforward, in-your-face persona, but for Pete's sake, has it ever crossed anyone's mind that this may be the exact reason that not only this deal fell through, but also why her career fell off much earlier than it should have? She makes no bones about reminding everyone how tough she had it back in the day, and she did. I'll go further in saying that although I'm not a fan, I have the utmost respect for what she was able to accomplish in that very rough time. But much of her abrasiveness that was a derivitive of those tough times still exists today, and maybe............just maybe, we're tired of hearing remnants of that axe being ground 30-years later.

Lady Karma calls on us all, make no mistake. Sometimes she can be very pleasant to deal with, but sometimes she can be a real b!tch.

Sean D

You know, this is just getting comical. I find it really cute how if Shirley goes off on somebody for welshing on an agreement, according to this place, she's commited the ultimate sin. At the same time, anybody here can and have gone ballistic when a sponsor leaves Drag Racing.

Very recently, I read quite a bit of comments from people c*ck-suckering Budweiser for bailing. Or how about when everyone was so madly in love with Evan Knoll when he was sponsoring every car out there - only to do an about face when he left the sport so suddenly. I read some awfully nasty things posted here about Mr. Knoll. I can go down the list: Brut, UPS, Miller Brewing, Advance Auto Parts, U.S. Tobacco, and on and on. There have been plenty of comments made here dumping all over these companies after they left the sport or wronged your favorite driver or owner. Apparently there must be some kind of double standard when it comes to airing things in the Drag Racing world. If Shirley Muldowney gets screwed by a sponsor, it sounds like she has no right to say anything against that entitiy. However, if a sponsor goes away from a team (that probably nobody here has anything to do with) it appears that anybody here has the right to climb to the top of the highest mountain in cyperspace, and piss and moan about them until they're blue in the face. I just don't understand the difference.

The National Guard, Budweiser, or U.S.T. are basically an employer to a Racing Team. Indirectly, the sponsor pays the bills (i.e. payroll, expenses, etc.) just like a company boss or owner would do. A sponsor is pretty much the same person you call "boss" at your place of employment. Occasionally, people get fired by their boss and sometimes for no good reason. The disgruntled former employee usaully then goes off in a tizzy about what an as*hole the boss is, or "I hate that company", or "they really screwed me", and so on. They announce this to anyone who will listen and in general, most onlookers are sympathetic to the one voicing their opinion. I'd guess the reason is because most people have been in that situation or know someone who has. They can relate to the frustration and can be supportive of this person. Maybe it's hard for the fans here to understand why Shirley said what she did simply because you have never been in her position. One can only wonder how some here might handle news like she received.

It looked like this topic was started simply because Shirley outed some back-handed actions by a company that wronged her - and she responded. It looks like this topic has turned into yet another Shirley bash-fest and I just can't figure out why. Why do some people dislike her so much? I just can't believe it has only to do with some alleged unpleasent autograph encounter. Is only signing one item totally unrealistic when her autograph line is usually two miles long? I went to a Richard Petty signing at an auto parts store around 15 years ago. The line went on FOREVER!!!. They had signs up all over the place stating "Due to the large crowd, Mr. Petty will only be able to sign one item per person". Nobody had a problem with that, they were just happy to see Richard Petty, get an autograph, take a picture, or get a handshake. All I saw were smiles on the fans faces. If you want something signed by Shirley and you can't get it done at the Drag Strip, send it to her. I'm sure she would be more than happy to take care of it (just make sure you send a SASE). Now that a solution to the autograph issue has been given, what's up with the rest of you? What is the real reason behind all the ill will expressed here towards Shirley? Could it have anything to do with something somebody else said about her? Something said by somebody from, I don't know, maybe kalitta's? If you only knew what went on there, you'd sh*t. The movie didn't and couldn't come close. Or maybe the Shirley haters are in love with tobler? The great tuner, the king of dropped cylinders, the man who cheated on his wife, the crew chief who could have prevented Shirley's horrible accident - if he would have just paid a little more attention to detail? Or could it be these Shirley haters are just a bunch of women haters in general who just can't live with the fact that a woman kicked ass in Drag Racing? Maybe some feel that she is a threat to their man-hood. Or maybe these guys just can't deal with the fact that Shirley is a hundred times tougher than they are.

Finally, we are still obsessed with the fact that Angelle Sampey is an emotional lady. There has been an ongoing complaint here that Angelle cries too much. Are you kidding me? Is this the best you can do when you talk about Angelle. Years ago, my Mom would cry a lot about things the preacher said in church. She asked him why he thought she cried so much. The things he was saying were not sad, they were good things and nice stories. The preacher told my Mom that people who cry when good or bad happens shows they have a good heart - they are a good person. I'd say the same applies to Angelle. I've never spent any great deal of time with her but I'm pretty good at reading people. Angelle is a good person with a good heart. She has gone through a lot of crap in her life that many don't know about. Have any of you clowns ever had your spouse put a loaded gun to your head? If Angelle cries and it upsets you, things must a little messed up in your world. Everybody shows emotion in their own way - deal with it.

Grow up kiddies,

Dave

P.S. After I read about this idea of a reality show for Angelle and Shirley - you gave me an idea. I've been working on trying to put a deal together for Shirley's team and this reality show gave me a good thought. To go Top Fuel Drag Racing, you need some big dollars behind you - I think I'll give Donald Trump a call. He's got some good connections to folks with deep pockets. Thanks again for the idea!!!

Dave , You talk to her like I do, and have known about this almost deal for about 6 months. Those judging her yet again, do not have a clue as how much time and effort she put into this.
It was not a matter of being told a deal may be coming, and after waiting for 6 months was told no deal.

In order to be ready for the 2010 season, A shop had to be located, rent agreed to, Shop supplies Office space and supplies. A car located, with all parts needed Motors, Tires, Fuel, spare everything. A truck and trailer,
Fully stuffed with tools and parts. A full crew, a driver, all the media junk thats needed.

So you have 6 or more people putting their lives on hold for 6 months waiting.

Being told its coming just hang on. Everthing needed to be ready ahead of time. You don't just get a check and show up at the race with a car a week later. Its takes a very long time to set up a full team from scratch.

So after hundreds of hours, and countless phone calls , All the time being told it was a go.
They back out, leaving 6 people crushed.

And the judges here comment on her being pissed off.

They are clueless.

I don't post on here ...just read. I will say, grow up people. I fully agree with Dave Labs & Dennis Fermano. I seriously doubt many of you that have criticized so much have ever put forth the kind of effort to do this or you WOULD UNDERSTAND.

I just went back and looked at the Scarborough Research I have to 2008, latest I have. The average NHRA "Fan" is 42.62 and the average NASCAR "fan" is 45.57". NHRA actually scores the lowest average age of "fans" or all the major televised sports other than Supercross and Major League Soccer.. FYI

X2! The way I look at it Rahn is still in the business tuning to drivers to championship contention while the ex. is still bitter he moved on and decides to drag him through the mud. Sorry, but Shirley reminds me of an old bitter lady that's mad at the world.

You can't call winning a few rounds with Cruz, tuning to a Championship.
That was Sealing in this age of the countdown

As to her 4 championships, John Muldowney, Dana Kimmel , Darren Capps played as much or more of a roll.

You don't just get a check and show up at the race with a car a week later. Its takes a very long time to set up a full team from scratch.

So after hundreds of hours, and countless phone calls , All the time being told it was a go. They back out, leaving 6 people crushed.

They are clueless.

I don't think anyone here is under the delusion that it is easy to run a professional race team, or we would all be doing it.

I have NO DOUBTS that Shirley and several other people put an extra-ordinary amount of effort into this deal.

I have NO DOUBTS that Shirley and several other people put all of that work in good-faith that they were being told this was going to happen, done deal, etc.

I have NO DOUBTS that Shirley and several other people were absolutely CRUSHED when this didn't happen for whatever reason.

BUT ... the leg work was done. The infra-structure was put in place. Another sponsor could have been shopped or might have stepped forward when the Guard fell apart.

BUT ... the "scorched Earth" business approach is definitely going to give potential replacement sponsors pause before handing over a few million dollars and get into a business relationship, lest anything not go as planned, they will be the targets of the next public rant.

Once again, I am not making a personal attack on Shirley. I have been a fan as long as I can remember. The sport would be better with her and Angelle fielding a well-funded car. My fear for Shirley is PURELY FROM THE BUSINESS SIDE OF THE HOUSE, that in her haste to lash out at what is undoubtedly a very disappointing situation, that she may have cost herself and Angelle any chance to get out there and compete.

Whether you like Shirley or not (and I do like her) ... we are all losers in this deal.

Last edited:
Dave , You talk to her like I do, and have known about this almost deal for about 6 months. Those judging her yet again, do not have a clue as how much time and effort she put into this.
It was not a matter of being told a deal may be coming, and after waiting for 6 months was told no deal.

In order to be ready for the 2010 season, A shop had to be located, rent agreed to, Shop supplies Office space and supplies. A car located, with all parts needed Motors, Tires, Fuel, spare everything. A truck and trailer,
Fully stuffed with tools and parts. A full crew, a driver, all the media junk thats needed.

So you have 6 or more people putting their lives on hold for 6 months waiting.

Being told its coming just hang on. Everthing needed to be ready ahead of time. You don't just get a check and show up at the race with a car a week later. Its takes a very long time to set up a full team from scratch.

So after hundreds of hours, and countless phone calls , All the time being told it was a go.
They back out, leaving 6 people crushed.

They are clueless.

And this is not the first time that this has happened to her. She was so far along with another sponsor ages ago that they even had uniforms that they burned in a drum at a race track when the check failed to appear.

She has every right to be pissed and im glad shes sounding off. We have come to an era in drag racing when a sponsors word means nothing. Where it is expected that you will do as your told by your corporate sponsor. Which includes diving. There is no more respect for the dedication and hard work all the old guard put into this sport, look at all the faces on the sidelines. Listen to the Snakes interviews and hear how disgusted he is.

I don't think anyone here is under the delusion that it is easy to run a professional race team, or we would all be doing it.

I have NO DOUBTS that Shirley and several other people put an extra-ordinary amount of effort into this deal.

I have NO DOUBTS that Shirley and several other people put all of that work in good-faith that they were being told this was going to happen, done deal, etc.

I have NO DOUBTS that Shirley and several other people were absolutely CRUSHED when this didn't happen for whatever reason.

BUT ... the leg work was done. The infra-structure was put in place. Another sponsor could have been shopped or might have stepped forward when the Guard fell apart.

BUT ... the "scorched Earth" business approach is definitely going to give potential replacement sponsors pause before handing over a few million dollars and get into a business relationship, lest anything not go as planned, they will be the targets of the next public rant.

Once again, I am not making a personal attack on Shirley. I have been a fan as long as I can remember. The sport would be better with her and Angelle fielding a well-funded car. My fear for Shirley is PURELY FROM THE BUSINESS SIDE OF THE HOUSE, that in her haste to lash out at what is undoubtedly a very disappointing situation, that she may have cost herself and Angelle any chance to get out there and compete.

Whether you like Shirley or not (and I do like her) ... we are all losers in this deal.

People like her or Don't based on her Passion for the Sport, her Passion for Driving. And her no holds barred , all out emotions.

Sometimes that may be wrong in some eyes. But one thing you will never get with Shirley is bull****. The kind that is spouted by most after every run.
She may to some, say the wrong thing at the wrong time. But its never boring.
She raises eyebows and emotions, both negitive and positive.
But she also creates a level of attention, like a no one else.

Some of our members never cease to amaze. They complain frequently that drivers and owners have been reduced to automatons, mindlessly spouting corporate sponsor names and half-hearted congratulations to their competitors. Now they get a brief dose of unfettered truth sprinkled with a little honest emotion and love for the sport and the reaction... OMG! How can she say these things! My virgin ears will never be the same! :rolleyes: Seriously?

Shirley and Angelle are exactly what drag racing needs. Always were.

I just went back and looked at the Scarborough Research I have to 2008, latest I have. The average NHRA "Fan" is 42.62 and the average NASCAR "fan" is 45.57". NHRA actually scores the lowest average age of "fans" or all the major televised sports other than Supercross and Major League Soccer.. FYI

I can't wait for the new Scarborough Research numbers to come out (POST AFH mainstream launch - Ashley Force-Hood ). I'm willing to bet that number has decreased by a good 4-7 years.

...Oh and Bowling and Bass Fishing get more ratings that our beloved Niche sport too. However, how many people in America Fish or Bowl? Makes sense....

WE NEED TO BRING BACK WET T-SHIRT CONTESTS!!! That ought to increase numbers eh?

PS: You Go Shirley! Wonder what our sport is missing... YUP you got it folks... FIRE!

I for one would LOVE to see Shirley owned / ANGELLE DRIVEN Top Fuel Dragster. Imagine Angelle Vs. Antron??? :eek: Loser buys the Gumbo!!!:cool:

You have an excellent point Chris as usual.

Was it the most 'sane' business decision for Shirley to launch the SCUD at the Guard?... perhaps not.

But, when has she ever decided descression was the better part of valor? That's what I love about her. She's not afraid to call a spade a spade. I respect that. Not too many people in any profession would have the 'balls' to call out the person (especially the individual by name) who 'screwed them' in a business deal. For that, I give the first lady of drag racing credit for letting it fly.

I don't think this is going to adversely effect any team from obtaining additional marketing partners in the future, even the Muldowney/Sampey team. They might even attract some 'non-traditional' companies who want that FIRE to represent them.

...Oh and Bowling and Bass Fishing get more ratings that our beloved Niche sport too. However, how many people in America Fish or Bowl? Makes sense....

Bowling, from the USBC website:

Fact. More than 66 million people in the United States bowl during a year. Fact. More than 2 million compete regularly in league play certified by the United States Bowling Congress. Staff at USBC Headquarters in Arlington works closely with about 3,000 local associations to serve over 2 million members.

My brother has placed in a few bass fishing tournaments, won a bass
($45,000) boat in one of them. Amazing to see to 150 boats leave out at dawn at the start of a tournament. The big tournaments even pay better than the NHRA does.

Some of our members never cease to amaze. They complain frequently that drivers and owners have been reduced to automatons, mindlessly spouting corporate sponsor names and half-hearted congratulations to their competitors. Now they get a brief dose of unfettered truth sprinkled with a little honest emotion and love for the sport and the reaction... OMG! How can she say these things! My virgin ears will never be the same! :rolleyes: Seriously?

Shirley and Angelle are exactly what drag racing needs. Always were.

I should probably give up, but here goes Sisyphus's last shot at pushing this boulder up the hill.

Me like Shirley and Angelle.
Me wish Shirley and Angelle were racing.
Me sad that Shirley angry.
Me sad government agency lied to Shirley.
Me wish Shirley tried to turn a negative into a positive.
Me hope this does not spell the end for Shirley.
But me not so sure.

Let's just say that the National Guard was fully aware of the fact that they could not and would not actively recruit at the tracks due to the Army's lock on that activity. QUOTE]

Do you think this may have anything to do with there decision? Do you think is BAD to have a no compete sponsorship agreement?

Was it the most 'sane' business decision for Shirley to launch the SCUD at the Guard?... perhaps not.

It rates right down there with putting all the effort in 6 months without at least getting SOME money along the way. This ain't her 1st rodeo. At what point in time in a normal business transaction is the signature + big check required before you start buying trucks-frames-shop etc with your own money? COULD? it be a case where she had to show them the pipe rack before they were gonna show her the money? Sux that it happened-I'd love to see it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back