Sampey/shirley (1 Viewer)

People like her or Don't based on her Passion for the Sport, her Passion for Driving.

Dennis, I think that is an insult to all who have a passion for the sport and a passion for driving. The third part of that sentence is no doubt correct.

I know Angelle, and was one of her sponsors in all her world championship years, and really wish something like this could work out for her.

Last edited:
I should probably give up, but here goes Sisyphus's last shot at pushing this boulder up the hill.

Me like Shirley and Angelle.
Me wish Shirley and Angelle were racing.
Me sad that Shirley angry.
Me sad government agency lied to Shirley.
Me wish Shirley tried to turn a negative into a positive.
Me hope this does not spell the end for Shirley.
But me not so sure.

Me John....Big Tree...

johnny-plug3-1.jpg

Last edited:
Bowling, from the USBC website:

Fact. More than 66 million people in the United States bowl during a year. Fact. More than 2 million compete regularly in league play certified by the United States Bowling Congress. Staff at USBC Headquarters in Arlington works closely with about 3,000 local associations to serve over 2 million members.

Ya' beat me to it, Barry. Largest participatory sport in the nation. Has been for a very long time.

Sean D

Bowling, from the USBC website:

Fact. More than 66 million people in the United States bowl during a year. Fact. More than 2 million compete regularly in league play certified by the United States Bowling Congress. Staff at USBC Headquarters in Arlington works closely with about 3,000 local associations to serve over 2 million members.

My brother has placed in a few bass fishing tournaments, won a bass
($45,000) boat in one of them. Amazing to see to 150 boats leave out at dawn at the start of a tournament. The big tournaments even pay better than the NHRA does.

I bowled for over 20 years, but I never could get into watching it on TV!

And this is not the first time that this has happened to her. She was so far along with another sponsor ages ago that they even had uniforms that they burned in a drum at a race track when the check failed to appear.

She has every right to be pissed and im glad shes sounding off. We have come to an era in drag racing when a sponsors word means nothing. Where it is expected that you will do as your told by your corporate sponsor. Which includes diving. There is no more respect for the dedication and hard work all the old guard put into this sport, look at all the faces on the sidelines. Listen to the Snakes interviews and hear how disgusted he is.

Unfortunately we are in a era when NOBODY"S word is worth SH*T. My father taught me that a handshake was a good as a contract, but now a written contract will surely contain enough loopholes that either party can escape or at least have some scumbag lawyer tie it all up in court until each parties grandchildren are grown. Like I have said before MONEY screws up everything. With the world economy in the tank and the fact that it takes a zillion dollars to compete for a championship it just stands to reason that several more sponsors will contract buyers remorse. As for Shirley being back out there, I feel like some of the other posters---it would certainly make things more exciting. Like her or not, she is never plain vanilla. I do find it interesting that now all the sour grapes are coming out against the ex husband, but I guess this is just to be expected. He must not be too awful bad a tuner if Don Schumacher (who is not exactly known for making mistakes) hired him. Good luck getting a sponsor though in todays politically correct world when you go around shooting your mouth off. I watched one of the best college basketball coaches that ever blew a whistle (Nolan Richardson) self destruct because of bitterness about the past. He never had a major college job again and is just now back in the WOMENS NBA. Everybody knows that Shirley is tough as hell, went through tons of adversity, and drove the wheels off a top fuel dragster--but if the sponsor doesnt trust her, she will continue to be parked.

With over 7500 hits on this post, the Shirley - Sampey interest is very high.

Which is why its a shame the deal did not happen.

With over 7500 hits on this post, the Shirley - Sampey interest is very high.

Which is why its a shame the deal did not happen.

Let's hope the attention has helped Shirley out.
I would think Shirley Muldowney would be the single biggest selling point for the NHRA in 2010.

Let's hope the attention has helped Shirley out.
I would think Shirley Muldowney would be the single biggest selling point for the NHRA in 2010.

We get Shirley, and Neckcar gets Danica Patrick! :D

Maybe we should try and get Shirley and Whit to form a team. That would be a blast!

I think it's too bad we seem to need Shirley Muldowney to give the NHRA a boost. Maybe we should just start an NHRA Sr. Tour. We could get all the great old timers to participate.

Yeah, I would have liked for this to work out, but more for Angelle than Shirley. I agree that Shirley has a passion for NHRA Drag Racing. I just don't think she has the passion for all the stuff that goes along with it. Like the politics.

What really sucks is, it seems like some of the people that most want to participate, can't. As owners, or racers. It's a shame the costs have caused it to become pretty much only a corporate game, with not enough corporations interested.

We get Shirley, and Neckcar gets Danica Patrick! :D

Maybe we should try and get Shirley and Whit to form a team. That would be a blast!

I think it's too bad we seem to need Shirley Muldowney to give the NHRA a boost. Maybe we should just start an NHRA Sr. Tour. We could get all the great old timers to participate.

Yeah, I would have liked for this to work out, but more for Angelle than Shirley. I agree that Shirley has a passion for NHRA Drag Racing. I just don't think she has the passion for all the stuff that goes along with it. Like the politics.

What really sucks is, it seems like some of the people that most want to participate, can't. As owners, or racers. It's a shame the costs have caused it to become pretty much only a corporate game, with not enough corporations interested.

Hate to go down that road again. But, most of us would rather see 32 car fields of car going 275mph, that short ( less than 16 ) fields going 320mph.
That would help lower the costs, and make it a bit easier for teams to break in. And of those short fields, many are multi car teams.

Wow ... I am going to agree with Drag Racing's archetypal "Chicken Little" Jeff Burk in principle. He even used the term "scorched Earth" that appeared earlier in this thread ...

Though I will point this out ... I don't think ticket prices have anything to do with it ... the same folks who can't afford a $50 ticket for NHRA aren't going to be able to afford a NASCAR Sprint Cup ticket at most venues. Bottom line is this ... if the Guard really thought their money would be well spent in NHRA, they would be there. However, the conspiracy theorist in me says this deal got squashed up top by the Army, they don't want someone else in their sandbox.

Wow ... I am going to agree with Drag Racing's archetypal "Chicken Little" Jeff Burk in principle. He even used the term "scorched Earth" that appeared earlier in this thread ...
I have to wonder if the article that Burk was responding to was the same that I thought I read. His column is chock full of hyperbole, superlatives and exaggeration. These below are the most damning sentences from the Shirley interview

"But I am extremely disappointed how unprofessional they were, in terms of keeping their word," she said of the National Guard. "You just don't do business like that."

Muldowney acknowledged that "it's hard to say, 'We got kicked in the ass again.' But that is the foundation of this sport. Their mouths overrode their asses." Then, sarcastically, she said, "You wouldn't suspect that out of Washington (D.C.), would you, these days?"

Muldowney said a "Sgt. Geno Sellers and his colonel" called her from Arlington, Va., and said, "We want you and we want Angelle. They romanced us right to our knees."

and that's about it. The rest was a fair comparison of the exposure and size of the wraps as compared to nascar and the three to one team exposure they could have had in the NHRA, Yet in Burke's column we get this

There are times, when she is feeling secure and confident, that she allows the “mom” in her to come out. That’s Shirley at her best -- wearing a big smile and charming everyone; the sincerely caring Shirley who cooks for and fusses over her crew and friends. That’s the Shirley I like to think of as a friend.

Ya got that Shirley? Stay in the kitchen. Bake Burke a pie or knit him a sweater.

Now here's when "journalism" gets interesting. Burke begins to paint a not so pretty picture. Get out the green face paint and the long crooked nose. the black hat and broomstick.

But there is another Shirley, the one who defends her turf and clan with a fierceness that can be intimidating. The one who can give you a withering glare or a phone call that melts the wiring in the phone if she feels you have crossed her.

And shes such a meanie, towards the end of his rant we are expecting Burke to be cowering under his desk whimpering on the phone.

Over the years I’ve had some of those calls, which usually begin with Shirley saying, “Jeff, Shirley Muldowney here. I’d like to talk to you about that story!”

What usually follows is a dressing down that would make a Camp Pendleton Marine Corps drill sergeant proud. (I’m prepared to get one of those calls after she reads this column.)

Ahh but Burke grows some and fires back. Using characterization that will pretty much guarantee that NO potential sponsor that ever glosses over his words will sponsor Shirley in the future.
One certainty about Ms. Muldowney you can always depend on: you never have to wonder for a second where she stands on an issue. And she isn’t shy about using whatever means she has available, including the press, to express or defend her views and opinions. When Shirley feels she has been slighted or wronged, she lets people know about it and in no uncertain terms.

She is legendary for telling race officials, track owners, journalists, other racers, and even sponsors where to get off the bus.

Have to wonder who's side Burke is on. Is he nascars ***** now? He certainly isn't painting a pretty picture of the stars that made NHRA what it is today. Not that they are angels. But cmon. Exaggerate much Burke?

In the article Shirley ripped a named National Guard sergeant and an unnamed colonel as people who contacted and apparently offered her a sponsorship and then bailed. To say that Shirley was disappointed with the sergeant and the colonel is putting it mildly. The news story basically says that the Guard abandoned drag racing for NASCAR. Ms Muldowney bashed them pretty hard for missing a great opportunity.

Looks almost as if. he read the article, Didn't have time to respond to it. Let it steam in his mind remembering all the dressing down Shirley gave him in the past. Then grabbed a red pen clenched in his fist to write his article after getting wound up chugging three poweraides.

Just my 2 cents

Jeff Burke is wrong, General Sherman had it right.
Burn-em and bomb-em into submission, check out the photos of 1945 German or Japanese cities on the History Chanel they are a smoldering heap, remember we won that war. Then we spent billions rebuilding countries for a grateful population. Sadly we haven't won one since abandoning Sherman's approach and fighting PC wars and police actions. We even get to fight some twice. Spawning new generations of USA haters.

Were going to drop the big one, there be no one left to blame us.
Randy Newman

Hey everyone remember it's tough out there right now. Money is tight. My company's 5 million dollar repair budget ( Yes, I work for a large company with lots of vehicles) from last year was cut to 4 million. My staff and I have had to make some hard decisions. Decisions I really didn't want to make. Plans we made for this year are on hold for the time being. There is no doubt it's effecting drag racing. Not jusy Shirley/ Angelle but Snake, Force down to 3 cars, the Johnson's and I could list many, many more. The Shirley/Angelle has a certian appeal to it that would be good for drag racing.

I should probably give up, but here goes Sisyphus's last shot at pushing this boulder up the hill.

Me like Shirley and Angelle.
Me wish Shirley and Angelle were racing.
Me sad that Shirley angry.
Me sad government agency lied to Shirley.
Me wish Shirley tried to turn a negative into a positive.
Me hope this does not spell the end for Shirley.
But me not so sure.

Chris, for what it's worth, I understood what you and several others in this thread were saying. I find it odd that some, not you specifically, say they want drivers to speak their minds and not be mindless sponsor plugging machines. However when one does, they express outrage. As for her potentially damaging future sponsorship opportunities, I wouldn't worry about it. Sponsors know what they're getting with Shirley - an extremely honest and forthright spokesperson for their product. I like that she didn't compromise her integrity to pander in the hopes of getting someone else.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back