Sampey/shirley (1 Viewer)

Re: Muldowney-Sampey deal

I agree, but we know not every driver takes that opinion to heart! I could name a few...

Yes, I have encountered a few in the past 35 years of going to the races. And I know everybody has good days and bad days--I know I sure as hell do. I also know some fans can be a**holes too. Like I said earlier, comes with the territory.

Dave, have you ever seen Shirley blow up at the fans? I have....and you don't forget stuff like that. I bet if these sponsors you mentioned ever saw that they'd have a different impression of her, that I would bet on!

I tried to get this across to the Shirley lovers last year, Joe. Don't waste your breath.......

Sean D

FYI, the average age for an NHRA fan is 42.2 years old.....I have a little personal knowledge of the National Guard and how this deal all came about and Im not going to expound on it here. The National Guard would make a great addition to NHRA Drag Racing...and vice-versa....their goal isn't JUST about recruiting boots on the ground. They are more looking at being part of a community involvement initiative and giving back to the communities at large in order to form the opportunity for better citizen/soldiers in the future.

I picked Angelle to drive one of our cars over a year ago, I think she has what it takes to be a competitive TF or FC pilot. Time will tell if my instincts are correct.

With all due respect, please tell me, just how does one "give back" to the community as a whole, when one cuts a multi million dollar check to a single purpose professional race team?
Is there some sort of public service or benefit the Guard is furnishing for our country by letting someone like Shirley or Dale jr. race that I'm not aware of?
If your statement was true, aren't there better ways for the Guard to build community relations other than to spend 10 million dollars of our hard earned tax dollars at Rick Hendrick Motorsports?

No matter what politically correct, warm hearted company line the Guard may feed the press, I don't think anyone is fooled to think that the Guards motorsports involvement is some sort of public relations campaign.
It's totally and 100% ALL about recruitment, and putting their demographic target in boots.... With the courtship of Shirley and Angelle, it's more than obvious that they are hard targeting females.
It's about reaching and impressing the most possible recruitment candidates for the dollar spent, and replacing retiring members of our totally spent and overworked troops.
If the age if the average drag race fan is 42.2 years old, the NHRA is sinking faster than I originally thought, and we should all see clearly why the Guard ran away like their hair were on fire. Not good news for any sponsor who is targeting the 18-25 year old bracket..

Last edited:
I just have two questions. First, how many owners do you think have been led down the "path" only to be left at the alter? Second, how many owners can you name that went off on a potential sponsor when that deal did not work out?

I think that could be an interesting team if funding appears. I have always liked Shirley. I would target a network RE a reality series. Angelle could cry and Shirley could curse; whats not to like about that.

George, I can tell you how.

The drivers are the stars....I am not in anyway defending the Nat Guards decision to spend NASCAR type money on Hendricks. What I do know are the programs that the Guard had in mind featuring Angelle and another prominent NHRA driver that was involved in the program. The National Guard has what is called The Patriot Academy, located in Indiana, that takes high school dropouts and at risk high school students and gives them the opportunity to finish their GED, and continue on to Guard paid college tuition. They offer internships that teach real world skills, including business education, trades and other life skills. The Guard features prominent sports figures to attend not only the Patriot Academy, but in this particular case, Tech Schools, High Schools to give students "the speech". Yes there is a certain slant to recruitment, but they truly do want to get across to students at the 14-18 age that the choices and decisions you make at that age carry far reaching consequences...good AND bad..later on in life. The message is coming from (in this case) drivers that are "self made" hard working, blue collar individuals that can get the point across to students that may be at a crossroads in life as to what the next step is.

Let's just say that the National Guard was fully aware of the fact that they could not and would not actively recruit at the tracks due to the Army's lock on that activity. That being said...they were far more interested in what went on with the athletes off the track than on. They were looking for drivers that can convey a message to their audience. Those drivers just happened to drive fast Nitro powered hot rods for a living.

I have no knowledge of the last hour decision as to why not to go with NHRA, but they were at one time willing to make a significant investment in our sport. Their NASCAR program is a whole different animal. Yes the Jeff Gordon and DE Jr. name add recognition to their program and at a tremendous cost. The NHRA program was designed to allow students access to a more common class of athlete and get back to the roots and foundations that lives and accomplishments are built on.

If the age if the average drag race fan is 42.2 years old, the NHRA is sinking faster than I originally thought, and we should all see clearly why the Guard ran away like their hair were on fire.
That's an interesting number. Quite a difference compared to ADRL who claims an average age of 24 years for the fans attending their races. Source and more ADRL stats starting at 2:35 in this tube: YouTube - ADRL 2010 Promotional Video

I'd rather hear the National Guard side of this story, the Guard left the ADRL too.
Anyone know what is behind that one?

Regards
PiPPi
HarleyDrags.com

Wow, I had no clue Angelle had nitro ambitions. Very cool to see... I'd love to be able to learn an ounce of what Shirley has over the years in experience. But, Angelle's right... she's intimidating as all get out to us that want to follow in her footsteps. I'd be afraid to ask!

Your right--it would make one heck of a reality tv show-the producers could wind up Shirley try to get her to flip-and Angelle could show her range of emotions.
I'm no Darren Stevens-but If I were an ad guy I could picture this: use Angelle to get people to re-up.

"I used to be in the army-now I'm in the guard."

Your right--it would make one heck of a reality tv show-the producers could wind up Shirley try to get her to flip-and Angelle could show her range of emotions.
I'm no Darren Stevens-but If I were an ad guy I could picture this: use Angelle to get people to re-up.

"I used to be in the army-now I'm in the guard."

Angelle (being a nurse) could be well used to help the Guard recruit medical people (They were paying bonuses some time ago - probably still are.)

You know, this is just getting comical. I find it really cute how if Shirley goes off on somebody for welshing on an agreement, according to this place, she's commited the ultimate sin. At the same time, anybody here can and have gone ballistic when a sponsor leaves Drag Racing.

Very recently, I read quite a bit of comments from people c*ck-suckering Budweiser for bailing. Or how about when everyone was so madly in love with Evan Knoll when he was sponsoring every car out there - only to do an about face when he left the sport so suddenly. I read some awfully nasty things posted here about Mr. Knoll. I can go down the list: Brut, UPS, Miller Brewing, Advance Auto Parts, U.S. Tobacco, and on and on. There have been plenty of comments made here dumping all over these companies after they left the sport or wronged your favorite driver or owner. Apparently there must be some kind of double standard when it comes to airing things in the Drag Racing world. If Shirley Muldowney gets screwed by a sponsor, it sounds like she has no right to say anything against that entitiy. However, if a sponsor goes away from a team (that probably nobody here has anything to do with) it appears that anybody here has the right to climb to the top of the highest mountain in cyperspace, and piss and moan about them until they're blue in the face. I just don't understand the difference.

The National Guard, Budweiser, or U.S.T. are basically an employer to a Racing Team. Indirectly, the sponsor pays the bills (i.e. payroll, expenses, etc.) just like a company boss or owner would do. A sponsor is pretty much the same person you call "boss" at your place of employment. Occasionally, people get fired by their boss and sometimes for no good reason. The disgruntled former employee usaully then goes off in a tizzy about what an as*hole the boss is, or "I hate that company", or "they really screwed me", and so on. They announce this to anyone who will listen and in general, most onlookers are sympathetic to the one voicing their opinion. I'd guess the reason is because most people have been in that situation or know someone who has. They can relate to the frustration and can be supportive of this person. Maybe it's hard for the fans here to understand why Shirley said what she did simply because you have never been in her position. One can only wonder how some here might handle news like she received.

It looked like this topic was started simply because Shirley outed some back-handed actions by a company that wronged her - and she responded. It looks like this topic has turned into yet another Shirley bash-fest and I just can't figure out why. Why do some people dislike her so much? I just can't believe it has only to do with some alleged unpleasent autograph encounter. Is only signing one item totally unrealistic when her autograph line is usually two miles long? I went to a Richard Petty signing at an auto parts store around 15 years ago. The line went on FOREVER!!!. They had signs up all over the place stating "Due to the large crowd, Mr. Petty will only be able to sign one item per person". Nobody had a problem with that, they were just happy to see Richard Petty, get an autograph, take a picture, or get a handshake. All I saw were smiles on the fans faces. If you want something signed by Shirley and you can't get it done at the Drag Strip, send it to her. I'm sure she would be more than happy to take care of it (just make sure you send a SASE). Now that a solution to the autograph issue has been given, what's up with the rest of you? What is the real reason behind all the ill will expressed here towards Shirley? Could it have anything to do with something somebody else said about her? Something said by somebody from, I don't know, maybe kalitta's? If you only knew what went on there, you'd sh*t. The movie didn't and couldn't come close. Or maybe the Shirley haters are in love with tobler? The great tuner, the king of dropped cylinders, the man who cheated on his wife, the crew chief who could have prevented Shirley's horrible accident - if he would have just paid a little more attention to detail? Or could it be these Shirley haters are just a bunch of women haters in general who just can't live with the fact that a woman kicked ass in Drag Racing? Maybe some feel that she is a threat to their man-hood. Or maybe these guys just can't deal with the fact that Shirley is a hundred times tougher than they are.

Finally, we are still obsessed with the fact that Angelle Sampey is an emotional lady. There has been an ongoing complaint here that Angelle cries too much. Are you kidding me? Is this the best you can do when you talk about Angelle. Years ago, my Mom would cry a lot about things the preacher said in church. She asked him why he thought she cried so much. The things he was saying were not sad, they were good things and nice stories. The preacher told my Mom that people who cry when good or bad happens shows they have a good heart - they are a good person. I'd say the same applies to Angelle. I've never spent any great deal of time with her but I'm pretty good at reading people. Angelle is a good person with a good heart. She has gone through a lot of crap in her life that many don't know about. Have any of you clowns ever had your spouse put a loaded gun to your head? If Angelle cries and it upsets you, things must a little messed up in your world. Everybody shows emotion in their own way - deal with it.

Grow up kiddies,

Dave

P.S. After I read about this idea of a reality show for Angelle and Shirley - you gave me an idea. I've been working on trying to put a deal together for Shirley's team and this reality show gave me a good thought. To go Top Fuel Drag Racing, you need some big dollars behind you - I think I'll give Donald Trump a call. He's got some good connections to folks with deep pockets. Thanks again for the idea!!!

"Or maybe the Shirley haters are in love with tobler? The great tuner, the king of dropped cylinders, the man who cheated on his wife, the crew chief who could have prevented Shirley's horrible accident - if he would have just paid a little more attention to detail?"

That's about as low as I've seen it around here, Dave. Geez.

There is a difference between any of us slamming the Guard on this relatively obscure message board ... and Shirley outing Guard Colonels on an industry website.

Does Shirley have the right to say anything she wants? ABSOLUTELY. Does Shirley have the right to say that a company has wronged her? ABSOLUTELY. My only point in this whole thread is that from a BUSINESS PERSPECTIVE, that may not be the smartest thing to do, especially if she still has desires to get funding for a fuel team.

Just because we COULD do or say things, doesn't always mean we SHOULD do or say things ...

That's about as low as I've seen it around here, Dave. Geez.

X2! The way I look at it Rahn is still in the business tuning to drivers to championship contention while the ex. is still bitter he moved on and decides to drag him through the mud. Sorry, but Shirley reminds me of an old bitter lady that's mad at the world.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back