Sampey/shirley (1 Viewer)

I probably shouldn't stick my .02 cents worth, but here I go:

She is not the first, nor the last, person that has been approached then had the deal be pulled back, it happens too many times.

My issue is her public rant that gives the appearance of lack of professionalism and may hurt any future prospects. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see too many businesses want to be associated with someone with type of attitude.

So it is Rick Hendrick's fault? Any of you guys in this thread that are throwing him under the bus know him personally? Any of you ever done business with him?

Rick is one of the nicest, kindest people I have ever dealt with, and he has a huge heart.

If you think the National Guard won't get more exposure from being associated with Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr, then you are smoking something.

I'd love to see Angelle out there driving, and if Shirley was part of that, even better.

I am not saying what the guard did was right, especially if it went down the way Shirley says it did, but you are not facing reality if you think they would get more exposure from Shirley and Angelle than they will from Jr., the most popular driver in the most popular series in the country, and Gordon, who will probably be 3rd on the all time wins list by the end of the year.

This is just more proof of how hard it is to market this sport.

Re: Muldowney-Sampey deal

I have been sitting on this for several months now, and was asked to keep a lid on it. But I was given the okay to talk about what was going to happen.
Her son John was going to be the crew chief. Along with several members of her past teams. Her ex Rahn Tobler was not the sole one responsible for her wins. He may have assembled the parts on the engine stand, and ran the day to day operations, but long before Rahn, it was John that made the calls.
He set up the combinations that provided the foundation that began the long winding road to success. Using the skills he learned from his father.
His ability to read track conditions is second to none.
Unlike Rahn who knows how to make lots of power, but often smokes the tires in the first or second round. The other team members were to be Dana Kimmel , who along with Darren Capps produced the career best runs on the last pass tour.
The point being ..... The Muldowney - Sampey team had a very solid background. Great tuning ... and car setup, Great Driving skills with Sampey,
And the First Lady as Coach.

She has been hanging ... waiting for what was the shoe to drop.
Shame on the National Guard for putting a half dozen people through this.

Remember they called her. And strung her along.

Considering we haven't heard both sides, I don't think anybody can argue that it appears Shirley took a MAJOR league screwing. I'm bummed sitting here right now thinking about it, and how bad it must suck to have someone, especially enlisted servicemen who took an oath representing your COUNTRY to lead you on in a cruel way, just to welch on their word. Like I said, I love Shirley. Her sharp tongue and bad attitude is what makes her Shirley.. I want to see her back.
But, before she unleashed, she needed to back away, calm down and ask herself a couple of questions.
What is the priority, and what is best for my people?

Was the priority to name names and dump all over the Guard for breaking their word, or was the priority to fire up the car with her son wrenching, a full crew and Angelle in the seat with sponsorship?
If the powers at be at the Guard's advertising office did break the deal with Shirley, then Karma will take care of those boys for sure.
If the goal was to race, and to make this team a reality, then she should have just punched a wall full of holes in private, and then she should have further built on what they have already organized.

The Sun always comes up in the morning. Why pull the shades down?

Last edited:

I took my wife (at the time) and two year old daughter to the 50th World Series of Drag Racing at Cordova. It was the first drag race that either of them had been to. My wife had taken my daughter to get "Cha Cha" to sign a poster. She signed it, and my daughter wanted a second. Then, Shirley ran off at the mouth that she only got one and needed to let the other "fans" have there turn. Luckly, one of the track works was kind enough to get my daughter the second autograph she wanted. I've hated Shirley ever since. A two year old, I mean, REALLY? Now, I enjoy all the kind words that my pal Tommy "T-Bone" Keane has to say about her, on and off the mic!

While finishing the Shirley/Sampey story at Comp Plus, I noticed this contextual ad placed at the end of the article.

imgad

(Sorry. I'll get my coat...)

Ah children, children - what is the world coming too? Shirley Muldowney has made her feelings known and it's just too much for your little ears to handle. As I always preface these comments, everyone is entitled to their opinions however make sure you recognize the overall scope of things before forming your opinions.

You have to realize that the National Guard people approached Shirley, not the other way around. To lead somebody on like they did - and then to turn around and dump the whole deal is just classless in my opinion. This is not how to treat people - esspecially Shirley Muldowney and Angelle Sampey. It has to do with your integrity. You just don't do this.

There have been several compairisons made here between Kenny Bernstein's approach to sponsors and Shirley's approach to sponsors. True, Kenny Bernstein has done some remarkable things in bringing sponsors to the sport and keeping them satisfied. But so has Shirley - you may recall some of the sponsors she had over ther years: English Leather, Fredricks of Hollywood, Pioneer Stereo, and Chrysler/Mopar - to name a few. And let's not forget the Zantrex / Strivecten deal. They approached Shirley after she had retired from driving. They begged her to come back but she said no. So what did she do? Shirley gifted the sponsor (which included a pretty big check) to the kalitta team. The Zantrex / Strivecten people agreed to go with kalitta only if Shirley would be involved with the team. The bottom line is that THE SPONSOR WANTED HER!!! Trust me, Shirley knows how to work with sponsors and I have seen her work with them. I was a guest of hers up in the Strivecten Suite up in the tower at Joliet in 2006. It was a wonderful time and I must say, the wine and hors derves were fantasic. As I'm sure you're aware, the Zantrex / Strivecten people have left Drag Racing and I'm told they are never coming back. I can only hope their departure had nothing to do with how they were treated by the team they got involved with.

Did any of you consider that the way Shirley handled the National Guard was maybe a warning to other potential victims. Both Shirley and Angelle have been lead to believe they've had sponsors in the past only to get screwed by them. Does anybody remember the clowns from PetroMoly? Or how about that RC car company that screwed Angelle when she was with George Bryce? There have been several Race Teams that have been led to believe they had a sponsor and actually began ordering parts. Only to find out there was no deal. Shirley is probably doing other team owners a favor by letting everyone know the who, what where, and when.

I feel that the National Guard has made a major mistake. This would have been a wonderful opportunity to target females to sign up for the National Guard. Both Shirley and Angelle are great role models for young women. They have both dealt with adversity and struggles in their personal and public lives yet through hard work and a never give up additude, they succeeded. That's one hell of an example for young women of today and it would have been a perfect fit for the National Guard.

You people are so quick to dump on Shirley because she speaks the truth. In today's world that is so over blown with all of the politically correct BS, I find it refreshing to here the truth from somebody. You will ALWAYS get the truth from Shirley. I would much rather hear the truth than some canned load of crap about how everything is so wonderful even though you've just been screwed royally. Maybe that's part of the problem with the world. Nobody has the balls anymore to stand up and speak the truth, they just go on believing all is well.

The fact that the National Guard decided to give more money to Rick Hendrick than to a Legend in Drag Racing really speaks volumes of how poorly the image NHRA and the sport as a whole is perceived. Honestly, the fact that the National Guard would rather get in bed with a convicted felon, than support a no BS figure like Shirley Muldowney is beyond me. And by the way, why they hell did one of our former Presidents pardon Hendrick anyway?

I have read some comments about why Shirley is now supporting Angelle rather than another female driver. Someone mentioned why it appears that Shirley was no longer interested in supporting Hillary Will's drivng efforts. Shirley was right there to help Hillary in any way she could. I was there, I saw it. The trouble in this situation is when the student feels that they have aquired enough knowledge and the help from the teacher is no longer wanted. It is sad how it turned out but I guess it falls under the catagory of live and learn. Or maybe it's live, learn just enough, and then lose your ride - but hey, what do I know.

There is a sponsor out there for Shirley's team, it just has to be found. Now that it's out there that Shirley and Angelle have teamed up, I doubt the sponsor hunt will take much longer.

Bring it on!!!

Dave

Well said Dave, She let me know about this last year. And has been waiting and planning, along with the rest of the team. The Shirley trashers posting here have no clue, as to the work that was put in preplanning the team.
A car was located, a full team assembled, shops located, all on hold for months. Everything had to be ready to go. A half dozen people put thier lives on hold ...... waiting. Lots of time and money. Countless phone calls.
So when after all that, they just pull the plug, she is more than a bit upset.

My wife had taken my daughter to get "Cha Cha" to sign a poster. She signed it, and my daughter wanted a second. Then, Shirley ran off at the mouth that she only got one and needed to let the other "fans" have there turn. Luckly, one of the track works was kind enough to get my daughter the second autograph she wanted. I've hated Shirley ever since. A two year old, I mean, REALLY? Now, I enjoy all the kind words that my pal Tommy "T-Bone" Keane has to say about her, on and off the mic!

And of course, if your wife and daughter had been waiting in line for an autograph and the driver had to leave before your turn, you'd probably be upset that the driver had signed two and three autographs for other people instead of signing one for everyone who was in line.

Having worked with a Nascar driver, I know that no matter what they do, someone gets mad at them.

Jim

Ah children, children - what is the world coming too? Shirley Muldowney has made her feelings known and it's just too much for your little ears to handle. As I always preface these comments, everyone is entitled to their opinions however make sure you recognize the overall scope of things before forming your opinions.

You have to realize that the National Guard people approached Shirley, not the other way around. To lead somebody on like they did - and then to turn around and dump the whole deal is just classless in my opinion. This is not how to treat people - esspecially Shirley Muldowney and Angelle Sampey. It has to do with your integrity. You just don't do this.

There have been several compairisons made here between Kenny Bernstein's approach to sponsors and Shirley's approach to sponsors. True, Kenny Bernstein has done some remarkable things in bringing sponsors to the sport and keeping them satisfied. But so has Shirley - you may recall some of the sponsors she had over ther years: English Leather, Fredricks of Hollywood, Pioneer Stereo, and Chrysler/Mopar - to name a few. And let's not forget the Zantrex / Strivecten deal. They approached Shirley after she had retired from driving. They begged her to come back but she said no. So what did she do? Shirley gifted the sponsor (which included a pretty big check) to the kalitta team. The Zantrex / Strivecten people agreed to go with kalitta only if Shirley would be involved with the team. The bottom line is that THE SPONSOR WANTED HER!!! Trust me, Shirley knows how to work with sponsors and I have seen her work with them. I was a guest of hers up in the Strivecten Suite up in the tower at Joliet in 2006. It was a wonderful time and I must say, the wine and hors derves were fantasic. As I'm sure you're aware, the Zantrex / Strivecten people have left Drag Racing and I'm told they are never coming back. I can only hope their departure had nothing to do with how they were treated by the team they got involved with.

Did any of you consider that the way Shirley handled the National Guard was maybe a warning to other potential victims. Both Shirley and Angelle have been lead to believe they've had sponsors in the past only to get screwed by them. Does anybody remember the clowns from PetroMoly? Or how about that RC car company that screwed Angelle when she was with George Bryce? There have been several Race Teams that have been led to believe they had a sponsor and actually began ordering parts. Only to find out there was no deal. Shirley is probably doing other team owners a favor by letting everyone know the who, what where, and when.

I feel that the National Guard has made a major mistake. This would have been a wonderful opportunity to target females to sign up for the National Guard. Both Shirley and Angelle are great role models for young women. They have both dealt with adversity and struggles in their personal and public lives yet through hard work and a never give up additude, they succeeded. That's one hell of an example for young women of today and it would have been a perfect fit for the National Guard.

You people are so quick to dump on Shirley because she speaks the truth. In today's world that is so over blown with all of the politically correct BS, I find it refreshing to here the truth from somebody. You will ALWAYS get the truth from Shirley. I would much rather hear the truth than some canned load of crap about how everything is so wonderful even though you've just been screwed royally. Maybe that's part of the problem with the world. Nobody has the balls anymore to stand up and speak the truth, they just go on believing all is well.

The fact that the National Guard decided to give more money to Rick Hendrick than to a Legend in Drag Racing really speaks volumes of how poorly the image NHRA and the sport as a whole is perceived. Honestly, the fact that the National Guard would rather get in bed with a convicted felon, than support a no BS figure like Shirley Muldowney is beyond me. And by the way, why they hell did one of our former Presidents pardon Hendrick anyway?

I have read some comments about why Shirley is now supporting Angelle rather than another female driver. Someone mentioned why it appears that Shirley was no longer interested in supporting Hillary Will's drivng efforts. Shirley was right there to help Hillary in any way she could. I was there, I saw it. The trouble in this situation is when the student feels that they have aquired enough knowledge and the help from the teacher is no longer wanted. It is sad how it turned out but I guess it falls under the catagory of live and learn. Or maybe it's live, learn just enough, and then lose your ride - but hey, what do I know.

There is a sponsor out there for Shirley's team, it just has to be found. Now that it's out there that Shirley and Angelle have teamed up, I doubt the sponsor hunt will take much longer.

Bring it on!!!

Dave

Dave, have you ever seen Shirley blow up at the fans? I have....and you don't forget stuff like that. I bet if these sponsors you mentioned ever saw that they'd have a different impression of her, that I would bet on!

I hate it when the pics of Cougars are young enough to be my daughters. Aren't Cougars supposed to be approaching middle age?

-90% jimmy

Having worked with a Nascar driver, I know that no matter what they do, someone gets mad at them.

Jim

This is a very good point ... they could sign autographs for 2 hours straight, and as soon as they say "That's it ... gotta go in the trailer" or whatever, the next few people in line are going to bad mouth them no matter what.

A lot of people in the roundy-round world complain about Tony Stewart not stopping in the garage to shake hands, take pictures or sign autographs. Usually he won't even speak, just keeps his head down and keeps walking. BUT, as soon as he stops, the people swoop in from all angles and he is stuck. So for Smoke, it's better to not even get it started and piss off 1 or 2 people than it is to stop and piss off many.

And of course, if your wife and daughter had been waiting in line for an autograph and the driver had to leave before your turn, you'd probably be upset that the driver had signed two and three autographs for other people instead of signing one for everyone who was in line.

Jim

That is true, but some in both NASCAR and NHRA seem to want to be pri*ks even when there is not a long line. I personally witnessed this in Pomona. I also witnessed the funny car world champ be very gracious to a long line of fans, even though he was pressed for time. I stood and just watched him for 10 or 15 minutes and left proud that we have this young man to represent our sport. There will probably never be a driver in NASCAR more revered than the "King" Richard Petty and our NHRA version John Force. Both thoroughly understood that it is the fans that actually drive the sport and provide them with the chance to live out their dreams. Fans buy tickets to races and products that are advertised on race cars. Take this away, and all you have are guys just running their jalopies for trophys (ala 1950). I am sorry, but it is hard for me to feel sorry for a NASCAR millionaire wheel jockey that thinks its too big a hassle to sign autographs and shake hands with his adoring fans. Betcha most saturday night dirt bowl drivers trying to squeaze another hundred out of the family food budget so he can fix his race car would trade places with him in a heartbeat. Also a little hard for me to feel sorry for a drag racer that probably would not be recognized at the local Burger King down the road from the drag strip. I know the general public can get on even the most patient person's nerves---I work with them every day and some days I just want to throw up my hands and scream. But I also realize that were it not for them, I would have to go get a real job. And so would those drivers. Adoring fans are just part of the job. Dont like it? Then do something else.

So it is Rick Hendrick's fault? Any of you guys in this thread that are throwing him under the bus know him personally? Any of you ever done business with him?

Rick is one of the nicest, kindest people I have ever dealt with, and he has a huge heart.

If you think the National Guard won't get more exposure from being associated with Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr, then you are smoking something.

I'd love to see Angelle out there driving, and if Shirley was part of that, even better.

I am not saying what the guard did was right, especially if it went down the way Shirley says it did, but you are not facing reality if you think they would get more exposure from Shirley and Angelle than they will from Jr., the most popular driver in the most popular series in the country, and Gordon, who will probably be 3rd on the all time wins list by the end of the year.

This is just more proof of how hard it is to market this sport.

This guy makes some very valid points.

FYI, the average age for an NHRA fan is 42.2 years old.....I have a little personal knowledge of the National Guard and how this deal all came about and Im not going to expound on it here. The National Guard would make a great addition to NHRA Drag Racing...and vice-versa....their goal isn't JUST about recruiting boots on the ground. They are more looking at being part of a community involvement initiative and giving back to the communities at large in order to form the opportunity for better citizen/soldiers in the future.

I picked Angelle to drive one of our cars over a year ago, I think she has what it takes to be a competitive TF or FC pilot. Time will tell if my instincts are correct.

I am sorry, but it is hard for me to feel sorry for a NASCAR millionaire wheel jockey that thinks its too big a hassle to sign autographs and shake hands with his adoring fans.
Are you saying every NHRA professional racer signs every autograph asked, and does that with a smile? You really think that?

Are you saying every NHRA professional racer signs every autograph asked, and does that with a smile? You really think that?

Absolutely not--although I only encountered one who was a jerk this past weekend. I wont name any names. All I am saying is the autograph signing comes with the territory and is a small price to pay to get paid living your dream. I am not even taking just the NASCAR guys to task--there are plenty in all walks of life to more than go around. Its just hard for me to hear a sport figure in any sport who is getting paid to play bit*h about the fans or be rude to them. I know they have lots to do in a short period of time, but there is a right and wrong way to do everything. Bear Bryant once said he told his assistant coaches, it dont cost anything to be nice and you never know when it might pay off for you. Like I said in the post, this comes with the territory. If you cant take it, get out. Just my 2 cents worth and probably overpriced at that.

Last edited:

Absolutely not--although I only encountered one who was a jerk this past weekend. I wont name any names. All I am saying is the autograph signing comes with the territory and is a small price to pay to get paid living your dream. I am not even taking just the NASCAR guys to task--there are plenty in all walks of life to more than go around. Its just hard for me to hear a sport figure in any sport who is getting paid to play bit*h about the fans or be rude to them. I know they have lots to do in a short period of time, but there is a right and wrong way to do everything. Bear Bryant once said he told his assistant coaches, it dont cost anything to be nice and you never know then it might pay off for you. Like I said in the post, this comes with the territory. If you cant take it, get out. Just my 2 cents worth and probably overpriced at that.

I agree, but we know not every driver takes that opinion to heart! I could name a few...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back