Safety concern (1 Viewer)

My son has been on the starting line with T/F & F/C's for 27 years and has yet to have any incidents. Sure, there can always be unforseen things that happen, but these kids are professionals....it's what they do for a living. The new guys get instructions on what to and not do on the starting line.

As has been previously posted, drag racing, like any form of motor sports, has it's dangers. That's why many guys love it so much. But, imho they know the risks and accept the challenges.

just a few years ago, backing tf'rs out from under canopy was common
before firing, providing fans even closer proximity to engine; now this practice
seems to have ceased.

anyone know if this was a safety concern? and if so, recognized by who?

I seem to remember that when they quit doing it, it was because a T/F motor's throttle got stuck, and the engine blew. Right after that incident, they (This was in Brainerd.) started putting the push cars between the fans in the pits and the cars when they warmed them up. This was back when the fuel car pits still lined up along the last straightaway and turns before the main straightaway (Drag strip.) Since then, they turned the pits 90 degrees away from the way they used to park.

Brain85028.jpg

Yep! You used to be able to get a LOT closer to the cars at Brainerd before they changed things. I miss that a LOT!!:( This was taken JUST NORTH of the entrance bridge over the road course at Brainerd in 1985.

BTW, Joe always had some SHARP looking cars, didn't he???:)

I am a lot safer on the starting line at a race, then i am after the race, traveling from race to race. One of my fellow crew members would probably feel the same way except he died laying next to me on the 10 freeway between Pomona and Phoenix.

If the NHRA stops allowing pushing/pulling cars on the starting line, then they should also stop:

Wiping tires after the burnout
Lifting/lowering funny car bodies after the burnout
Adjusting the idle while running
Reaching under the body to arm data acquisition equipment
Reaching under the body to turn on air bottles
Adjusting wheelie bar height before staging
The use of centrifugal clutches since the driver can NOT disengage them with his foot if RPM raises above idle
Etc

All activities mentioned above are just as dangerous as pushing the car in my opinion. Where do they draw the line?

MR. Okeefe, I agree with all your points. A car should be prepaired in the pits, not on the starting line. While we're at it, get rid of the "back-up" guy too. Or at least get them off the racing surface, put them over the wall.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back