Safety question (1 Viewer)

What wusses.. There was a time when fuelers did not have a reverser and used a pedal clutch.

Those of us crewing back then, would run out after the burnout and push the car back. All the while, the driver is holding the clutch pedal down. Did this hundreds of times. That's why I can't hear today.:D

Also before the reversers, we would push start coming down from the top end. On some of the smaller tracks, the car couldn't make the turn around at the line. Crew jumps out and pushes him back bar enough for the driver to be able to stage.

I agree that's how I got my start in the sport. Maybe since Traxxas got involved they can make all the car operate by RC. Just put the drivers up in the tower to drive the car.

Personally, I'm not worried so much about the crew members as I am the increasingly large numbers of people that are allowed on the starting line. When Steve Gasparelli almost went backwards after going over the wall the first thing I thought about was all those people standing back there with their "all access" credentials. Did anyone tell them where to run? Like I said, just my two cents.

back around 1969 I saw a FC hang the throttle while backing Driver did a helluva job steering it away from the folks at the start line and ended up hitting the ambulance under the tower. I've always wondered why NHRA allows so many folks back there. There should really be a portable gate they could shut after the burnout to keep folks out of harms way. As far as the greeks accident the cure seems simple to me. Put the car on a stand until its running. As far as pushing cars back I'm sure they could design some sort of easily removable push bars that could be quickly installed and removed. Maybe I am naive but I've alway been taught to consider the "what if" When you work in an industrial environment you can't prevent everything but you can take steps to prevent what can be foreseen. Racing is no different.

I follow quite a few top fuel drivers and I've never seen them complain about people being overly safety conscious this or about what gets written on nitromater (Ron Capp's legitimate complaint aside). Who did you have in mind when wrote that? Not a criticism, I'm just curious...

I was speaking in reference to how drivers and crew guys look at the Mater.

People have always gotten hurt and even killed on or around the track. people have even gotten hurt or killed in their own driveway. Life is a gamble and if your not willing to take risks, stay at home.

For the rest of us part of the experience is the danger that comes with be part of an activity. And that's not to say we prefer it to be dangerous.

Registered member said:
NO MORE TOUCHING !![/B]
  • If it can't go in reverse, drive it off the top end.
  • If its broke, get the driver over the wall.
  • If a car stops in a bad spot, shut the other car off until the track can be cleared.
Too many people touch these cars while they're and moving.

QUOTE]

Right on, prepair the car in the pits - not on the starting line.

They must be lurking, because aside from Don Schumacher, Jeff Arend, Bode's guys and a few others, I don't see them post...

When I was employed with JFR, we were asked not to post anything on this site. Most of the reasoning was so that any information we were privy to as far as upcoming car concepts (as far as sponsors) was not released before the boss was ready. Also, it is way too easy to get into pissing matches on here, and that does not look good for a crewmember to be doing with sponsors and potential sponsors looking in. Since I am no longer employed, I can pretty much say what I want!

Registered member said:
NO MORE TOUCHING !![/B]
  • If it can't go in reverse, drive it off the top end.
  • If its broke, get the driver over the wall.
  • If a car stops in a bad spot, shut the other car off until the track can be cleared.
Too many people touch these cars while they're and moving.

QUOTE]

Right on, prepair the car in the pits - not on the starting line.

Sorry, I call BS!!! You do what ever possible to get the car down the track! Do you know how many times parts break towing to the line or on the burnout? ALOT...it is just the nature of the beast. YOU try telling YOUR sponsors why you decided to drive the car off the top end when you could have staged the car after being pushed back...

When I was employed with JFR, we were asked not to post anything on this site. Most of the reasoning was so that any information we were privy to as far as upcoming car concepts (as far as sponsors) was not released before the boss was ready. Also, it is way too easy to get into pissing matches on here, and that does not look good for a crewmember to be doing with sponsors and potential sponsors looking in. Since I am no longer employed, I can pretty much say what I want!

I didn't stop to think about non-disclosure of intellectual property. I don't
know why, I have to keep my mouth shut about upcoming features in our
product. I figured most drivers, crew members, and owners guys were not
posting because of the pissing matches you refer to.

I thank you for chiming in -- I have learned some cool stuff from your posts.

People have always gotten hurt and even killed on or around the track. people have even gotten hurt or killed in their own driveway. Life is a gamble and if your not willing to take risks, stay at home.

For the rest of us part of the experience is the danger that comes with be part of an activity. And that's not to say we prefer it to be dangerous.
What ???? I don't beleive you can find me a single Professional driver that will state he is a drag racer because part of "experience is the danger". Seriously? This isn't Cliff Diving or Sky Diving.:rolleyes:

My point is just as others here have posted ... you cannot predict all scenarios, but you certainly can assess situations and take some action to mitigate risk. As I stated in my original post, over the years crews have grown from 1-2 people to 10 or more now and almost every crew guy is touching or making adjustments on a running car. I understand this is all part of the evolution of the sport. However, if you do not draw a line somewhere ... where does it end?

I agree the record speaks that chances are remote, but does that mean you wait until something bad happens? If the ESPN viewing audience would have witnessed a crew member lose his life at Charlotte as plain as day, what do you think would have happened? I would guess to say sweeping changes driven by the Legal / Insurance entities.

Simply put if at some point Drag racing doesn't make changes voluntarily, someone else (Lawyers, Insurance, Government) will make them for drag racing. Simple. It is how our society functions these days. I don't like it, but I realize and understand it.

Sorry, I call BS!!! You do what ever possible to get the car down the track! Do you know how many times parts break towing to the line or on the burnout? ALOT...it is just the nature of the beast. YOU try telling YOUR sponsors why you decided to drive the car off the top end when you could have staged the car after being pushed back...
I am sure Castrol, AAA, and Traxxas would be eternally greatful for the effort to get the car down the track even though you got run over pushing it back.

That would be a hell of a phonecall.

Team: "Mr. Sponsor, what a race. We had to work our a$$ to get the car staged. Well there was this mishap pushing the car back to the line and, well both Bross's legs are broken. But thanks to Bross we got the win light"

Sponsor: "You tell Bross he is our Hero and we thank him for his loyal service"

I am sure the sponsor would love that publicity. Seriously ??

What ???? I don't beleive you can find me a single Professional driver that will state he is a drag racer because part of "experience is the danger". Seriously? This isn't Cliff Diving or Sky Diving.

Seriously Jim, WTH do you think attracts a guy or gal to get in the seat of one of these machines ??

Yea it is like Skydiving or Cliff Diving, it's the rush, the competition, the G forces, the aspect of doing something well that less than .01 percent of the general population can do.

Really you and Paul S. need to get out and stretch your horizions a bit.

Danger is a driving factor to why humans do what they do for hobby, fun, work, to entertain crowds, etc.

I'll bet the "mod rate" for an employer in the Drag Racing business is less than let's say a roofing company, tree trimming service, sheet metal company, etc

Are you worried about those guys and gals, remember nobody forced them to do it either.

Your turn to take it further --------------

What ???? I don't beleive you can find me a single Professional driver that will state he is a drag racer because part of "experience is the danger". Seriously? This isn't Cliff Diving or Sky Diving.

Seriously Jim, WTH do you think attracts a guy or gal to get in the seat of one of these machines ??

Yea it is like Skydiving or Cliff Diving, it's the rush, the competition, the G forces, the aspect of doing something well that less than .01 percent of the general population can do.

Really you and Paul S. need to get out and stretch your horizions a bit.

Danger is a driving factor to why humans do what they do for hobby, fun, work, to entertain crowds, etc.

I'll bet the "mod rate" for an employer in the Drag Racing business is less than let's say a roofing company, tree trimming service, sheet metal company, etc

Are you worried about those guys and gals, remember nobody forced them to do it either.

Your turn to take it further --------------

Agree...it is the same with working on these cars.

What ???? I don't beleive you can find me a single Professional driver that will state he is a drag racer because part of "experience is the danger". Seriously? This isn't Cliff Diving or Sky Diving.:rolleyes:

My point is just as others here have posted ... you cannot predict all scenarios, but you certainly can assess situations and take some action to mitigate risk. As I stated in my original post, over the years crews have grown from 1-2 people to 10 or more now and almost every crew guy is touching or making adjustments on a running car. I understand this is all part of the evolution of the sport. However, if you do not draw a line somewhere ... where does it end?

I agree the record speaks that chances are remote, but does that mean you wait until something bad happens? If the ESPN viewing audience would have witnessed a crew member lose his life at Charlotte as plain as day, what do you think would have happened? I would guess to say sweeping changes driven by the Legal / Insurance entities.

Simply put if at some point Drag racing doesn't make changes voluntarily, someone else (Lawyers, Insurance, Government) will make them for drag racing. Simple. It is how our society functions these days. I don't like it, but I realize and understand it.

Point taken. With the increase of participants around a machine, there's an increase in possibly someone getting hurt. Hence the guy from JFR who lost his thumb in the blower belt as they were making last minute adjustments.

I'm sure as you know the last thing that anyone is thinking is "Hey this is dangerous, maybe I shouldn't do it." Yes there is a certain rush being that close to the action and a certain amount of seriousness that come with respecting the dangers that come with the activity. Doesn't matter if it's sky diving, climbing communication towers, washing windows on high rise buildings, or doing road work.

For me it's surfing 20+ foot waves. Sure I can surf 3 to 5 foot waves more often, but there is a big difference in the satisfaction that comes with it.

Hi Mark! When's the next outing for the War Eagle?

You don't quit eating chicken because you might choke on a chicken bone, you just eat it a little more carefully. I am a lot safer on the starting line then I am when I'm traveling from race to race.

Last edited:
Hi Gino, we are headed to Denver , May 19th and then off to Pittsburg(IHRA) and then the 50th Anniversary Race at Maple Grove and then Salt Lake City (IHRA), and then a rest ! :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back