Safety question (1 Viewer)

Am I the only one that thinks they should BAN the pushing back a car that lost reverse??? (Albalooshi Rd 1 ). To me placing several people in front of the rear tires of a car is an accident waiting to happen.

The rules already say the car & driver must stage on their own power. If ya can't back-up, ya can't stage, GAME OVER.

Must we wait till a car lunges forward running over several crew before we stop this???

What do you think gang???

I don't think a helmet would do much good while yer layin on red hot header pipes. Those wings just in front of the headers would take yer feet out from under you and you'ld be roasting on the pipes.

I know Paul. I was just joking because of the helmet discussion a few weeks ago. In my opinion, if they were gonna push alBalooshi back, I wish they'd have pushed him all the way back to pro-mod.

But seriously, it's all dangerous though. Where would the line be drawn?

Let 'em push it, you sissies....

The starter knows how long to let someone sit in the other lane. If the delay becomes excessive, he'll send the other guy. Ask Eddie Hill how he knows this.

The rules already say the car & driver must stage on their own power.

That would be my thought. Probably should eliminate when the crew push the car to stage too.

I always thought the crew guy standing in front of a FC holding the body up is in a tough spot too. So much could (and has - see T Ped) go wrong there. But what do you do, not let them play with the settings before a run? Maybe - I think Jim Dunn used to only take the throttle stop of Hofmann's car before staging (don't know what they do now).

Would you rather them let the car sit out there in the way and have to shut the other guy off? This sport is already getting pussified, don't make it worse.

Am I the only one that thinks they should BAN the pushing back a car that lost reverse??? (Albalooshi Rd 1 ). To me placing several people in front of the rear tires of a car is an accident waiting to happen.

The rules already say the car & driver must stage on their own power. If ya can't back-up, ya can't stage, GAME OVER.

Must we wait till a car lunges forward running over several crew before we stop this???

What do you think gang???
Great post Paul !! Agreed 1,000 % ... once it is running, NO MORE TOUCHING !!
  • If it can't go in reverse, drive it off the top end.
  • If its broke, get the driver over the wall.
  • If a car stops in a bad spot, shut the other car off until the track can be cleared.
Too many people touch these cars while they're and moving. It's only a matter of time until someone gets seriously hurt (or worse). A while back, someone started the trend of pushing a running car up into the water box stating it saved wear on the clutch. Now many teams do that. Then it was decided that if a crew person starts pushing the car as it starts to back up from the burnout, less wear on the clutch too. Now several teams do that also.

Where does it end? The Karamesines incident at Charlotte should be an eye opener. That crew person is very lucky to be alive and not the victim of a fatal head injury. Lessons learned can reduce risk.

If there is a serious on track incident involving a crew member or event worker, the impacts on NHRA would be devastating. I don't want to hear BS comments like "Sissies" or "Everyone knows the sport is dangerous, people make their own choices". If people want to apply that thin logic to a driver, fine. For crews, event workers, or fans ... no freakin' way!

Did people see the Balooshi crew guy's shirt blowing up around his ears? Close enough to the headers for you? If he contacted a header, trust me he would have reacted to the searing pain in a manner that put himself (and others) further in danger. Not a pain that can be ignored.

This sport has extreme danger at every opportunity. On the track, in the pits, and even in the stands. We have two 12+ member crews all hovering over each car, pushing, making engine adjustments, scrubbing tires, reaching underneath, adjusting wheelie bars, and turning on computers.

Scary if you ask me !!

Would you rather them let the car sit out there in the way and have to shut the other guy off? This sport is already getting pussified, don't make it worse.
:confused:Pussified? Really Mike. Are you sure you would feel the same way if a family member (Spouse, child, etc), friend, or employee of yours was injured (or worse) in an accident involving your car while you were in the drivers seat?

Would you be able to simply shrug it off as "They knew the risk and should have been more careful"?

This thread is a shining example of what is wrong with this site, the unknowing trying to dictate what they perceive as dangerous and wanting it to be made illegal.

This site has become a embarrassment to drag racing.

This thread is a shining example of what is wrong with this site, the unknowing trying to dictate what they perceive as dangerous and wanting it to be made illegal.

Finally some one makes some sense!

While I disagree that this site is an embarrassment ... I do agree with your first statement. I think the NHRA crews starting line safety record is pretty outstanding all things considered.

The way I see it (as one of the unknowing ... so take it with a big grain of salt) the teams should be given every opportunity to get the car down the track. If they have to push the car back after a burnout, and they can do it in a reasonable amount of time, then they should be allowed to push it back. If the Funny Car guys need to lift the body to make final adjustments, I have no heartburn with that either. The crew guys or the starter will know when something isn't right and react accordingly. Just because something looks dangerous from our couches doesn't mean it necessarily is.

Great coment. How about one crew member runs out to the car hooks a rope to the car and the crew pulls the car back. Kinda like tug-o-war. Orrrr maybe that all tracks are required to to have a incline so they come back to the line by gravity.

Many times you simply rock the car or close the blades a bit the car will go into reverse.

Just off the top of my head, I can count 6 times that I have pushed a running fuel car back to the starting line and never once have I feared for my safety. Why? Because I have faith and confidence in the person that is driving and the people I am working with. If I didn't, then I wouldn't be there. That being said, when I hear the motor start, whether I am in the car or next to it, I know the risks that I am taking and I accept them. I have seen first hand the ugliest side of this sport. If you guys only new how many precautions are taken so that things DON'T happen, you would be amazed!

Last edited:
...... I always thought the crew guy standing in front of a FC holding the body up is in a tough spot too. So much could (and has - see T Ped) go wrong there....

All of the guys under the FC body concern me.

I saw the T-Ped incident at Indy live and it frightened the crap out of me. Those guys are so vulnerable should the car lurch forward.

Just off the top of my head, I can count 6 times that I have pushed a running fuel car back to the starting line and never once have I feared for my safety. Why? Because I have faith and confindance in the person that is driving and the people I am working with. If I didn't, then I wouldn't be there. That being said, when I hear the motor start, whether I am in the car or next to it, I know the risks that I am taking and I accept them. I have seen first hand the ugliest side of this sport. If you guys only new how many precautions are taken so that things DON'T happen, you would be amazed!

^^^This. (OK, except the part about pushing a running fuel car :D)

Everyone on a team has situational awareness. That doesn't mean accidents won't happen, it just means all the team members are conscious of their every move.

As a driver, I will not move until my crew chief has looked me in the eyes and told me to do so. I don't want to ever misinterpret a hand gesture.

I tell people that are at the track with me for the first time, "never turn your back on a running race car."

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back