Safety concern (1 Viewer)

Do we have to wait till something goes wrong to take action?? This practice of pulling fuelers into the water and pulling them back after a burnout is an accident waiting to happen. One slip or trip and we lose a crewman. Does anyone else see this???

Do we have to wait till something goes wrong to take action?? This practice of pulling fuelers into the water and pulling them back after a burnout is an accident waiting to happen. One slip or trip and we lose a crewman. Does anyone else see this???

Yep, accident just waiting to happen.

i equate it someone who works a lathe, or drill press, or any type of heavy machinery.....of course there is potential for an accident, there are in many types of work, but these people are professionals who know what they are doing around these cars and that is part of their jobs

Yer right, 8 months ago it was talked about yet still no action by nhra.

...and GUESS WHAT ZAPPY... You're not going to see any action. So to answer your question... "SOMEBODY WILL HAVE TO GET HURT FOR CHANGE TO OCCUR..." Based on history, I'd say the answer unfortunately is yes.

We should just make all drag race vehicles remote controlled..... that's the best way to prevent any future tragedies. :rolleyes:

As mentioned, the guys on the line know what they're doing, and are there because they want to be. Just like sky divers, scuba divers, ski jumpers, etc, etc.... or should we stop all those sports too?

That's it, from now on, ALL SPORTS where there might be even the slightest potential for injury should be banned. Better to prevent any future tragedies!

I agree for the most part the guy's on the line do know what they are doing.
BUT malfunctions happen. KB's crwe knew what they were doing, yet they managed to get run over. Same with T Peds crew at Indy a few years back. They knew what they were doing yet two got hurt and burned.

There is always risk involved, sometimes things suprise you, but come on gang, Stevie Wonder can see this comming.

These guys pulling the cars are (A) behind the drivers line of site, and (B) right in front of the rear tires. If one falls and the driver hits the throttle....

Fatal car accidents happen every day but I still drive on the road. Should we all stop driving our cars because we might get killed in an accident?

Garlits' former crew chief Herb Parks was killed in such an accident, and that was over 15 years ago! Nothing was done then, and nothing will be done after the next guy dies.

Brian's remark is just dumb.

I'm going to ask the obvious new guy stupid question. Other than an extraordinary circumstance, why is it being done in the first place? Seems to me that as long as the car is working properly and under its own power, no one should push/pull/other for any reason and would be one of those "driver competency" kind of things. Just asking....

Good question. To me there is no good reason for this. If fact I believe there is something in the rule book about a car having to do everything,(burnout-stage) under its own power.

I agree for the most part the guy's on the line do know what they are doing.
BUT malfunctions happen. KB's crwe knew what they were doing, yet they managed to get run over. Same with T Peds crew at Indy a few years back. They knew what they were doing yet two got hurt and burned.

There is always risk involved, sometimes things suprise you, but come on gang, Stevie Wonder can see this comming.

These guys pulling the cars are (A) behind the drivers line of site, and (B) right in front of the rear tires. If one falls and the driver hits the throttle....

You forgot the guy who is down track when they do the burnout! I'm sure if he saw something happen he would flag the driver.

Have you ever heard of the inherent dangers of the sport? ;)

Brian's remark is just dumb.

Brian is around a nitro car all the time, from the time they pull the ground 'till the time it takes off, he is right there. I don't think it was dumb at all.

As someone said earlier, Herb Parks was killed in 88 and he had been around enough cars to know what was going on. It just goes to show accidents can happen at any time.

You forgot the guy who is down track when they do the burnout! I'm sure if he saw something happen he would flag the driver.

Have you ever heard of the inherent dangers of the sport? ;)

Yes but, when we see something wrong should we not try to prevent trouble?? Dragsters have been pulling forward under their own power just fine for years. Why now, with 8,000+ HP do they all of a sudden need help.??

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back