Great Service DJ Safety Equipment (1 Viewer)

RAPID

Nitro Member
I started out with all Simpson gear. Then Joe with DJ safety came on board and has been a longstanding advertiser in the magazine.

I keep all my gear in one of those big army duffel bags when it isn't hanging in the race trailer. So over the winter, the trip to Virgil's, then back to the shop all in the bag.

We went to Eddyville for the first test, and no DJ boots. I had to use my old Simpson's. It slipped my mind, and when I remembered on the following Wed nite race car night, I looked everywhere and couldn't find them.

I called Joe on Thursday, said man you are going to be mad but I lost my boots, and I had them in the shop fitting things on the car this winter. Now these are the boots he had just freshened up for me to take to Virgil's race. He laughed, said something about I suppose you need them yesterday? I said I had a race on the weekend but knew he couldn't get them to me in time and I would get by.

The next morning, the UPS truck delivered a new pair to me in time for the weekend!!!

Great service and a classy move on his part. Buy something from him if you can. Tell him Rapid or the mag sent ya!

Rapid

If anyone has time. I would like a pm to know why this was moved to the Nostalgia section? DJ makes safety equipment for the Big Show cars as well??

I am not mad or anything,,,but I don't see why it was moved.

Thanks for your time,

Rapid

Got one of their dash-20 suits last year and love it. I just wish they would make some of those new funny car boots with the soles in them.

Sean D

Dj is making some great stuff at great prices.
About the best out there for full lines of safety products. They have good customer service, they re-cert, they have great stuff. Why ever buy something that would start with an "S" ever again? (Well, except for SRP. They are great too!)

Randy, you're right about DJ Safety!

My middle son Dave, decided he wanted to drive a racecar like Buzzz and Paul so we purchased a Spitzer car less engine/trans/components and he and I built it over the past few months. For his Christmas this past year, knowing this was coming, we contacted Jennifer Ledon at DJ and had him fully outfitted.
The price was great!
The products were first rate!
The pants were long enough! (never happens to those of us over 6'3".
The shipping was quick!
The service has been superb!
I'll never need to go elsewhere!
Thanks DJ Safety!

Bobby - you have to be careful dealing with Jenifer at DJ's. She is just so darn sweet on the phone that you forget why you called in the first place.

Last edited:
Hey! It's a Virgil sighting! Welcome home buddy! You are absolutely correct about Jenn. She is not only sweet but well informed about her products. Thanks to you starting CIFCA we became good friends as she worked with Jim Maher for a few years and traveled with his crew so we saw her often at those races. Don't be a stranger Virgil!

Bobby....Virgil did not start CIFCA......he made money off other racers in CIFCA...

Bobby, listen to Terry as he knows his sh*t. The first meetings weren't held on my patio, I didn't pay Wyatt Radke to design and draw the logo, I didn't book the races for the first two years, pay the administrative costs, and I sure as heck didn't pay racers like Sue Spencer out of my pockets to travel great distances to be at our events to make sure we had full feilds.

During that time I did provide a service where I would buy complete operations and sell parts to complete cars to other racers. Not all of them belonged to CIFCA, then or ever, and I don't think anybody complained about the price they paid, at least not to me.

People like Terry, are part of the reason I, along with many others, will no longer help racers help themselves by organizing groups. And their stupid statements are a reason I don't post on this board more than I do anymore.

Once again Terry steps in with foot placed firmly in his mouth to see just how low he can take his personal stock. I'd say you hit rock bottom with this failed attempt to discredit Virgil but I also read your response yesterday to our favorite Brit's latest round of USA bashing and realized that there is even a lower level I wasn't aware of. I can't say I've ever met someone like you before and will openly profess my disappointment in most everything you post.

Virgil I'm grateful for all you have done and continue to do for our sport. I happen to know the facts and won't be persuaded to believe otherwise as a result of such a cheap, yet below-the-belt remark from such a person as Mr. Jones. I also owe you a debt of gratitude for all you have done for CIFCA.

Virgil/Bobby....Jim McClure and Gene Addison are acknowledged as the first two that got the CIFCA funny car movement going in 1983/84..Virgil was president in 1985/86...
Frank Larrabee was mentioning CIFCA long before your son was steering a car in CIFCA....
Virgil....You along w/ Andy/Rankin/Mauriello and Gaynor got it going but don't take credit w/ out mentioning the others....and Maher is the reason for it's current success...
Some of those above mentioned will save their hides and not post what they have mentioned to me of your ways back then...

Hey..how about that DJ Safety Equipment??

Terry..for someone that is so connected..it just appears that all you have to pass on is dirt..or things going on us mere mortals aren't privvy to.

And you can't seem to do it without pissing in someone's water bowl.

Bobby,
Those facts are not backstabing or blindsiding...Those are the facts...call Gaynor or Maher....I concurred w/ both of em...

I don't suppose Bobby or Randy can point me in the right direction for these companies or this girl you mentioned?

I need a pair of boots, gloves, and a new jacket for Pops.

I am sorry for the interruption of the thread about the great service and products at DJ Safety, but I have to correct a few statements made by Terry.

We all know that Jim and Gene did a match race in Phoenix for Charlie Allen to fill out the 32 funny car field and that was the inspiration for CIFCA. And that Frank was running a car at the time in the brackets. And that Jim did a good job with CIFCA, but it was good for him and his business also. Now the rest your facts are a little off. Gaynor provided some contacts and sold a lot of us parts but seldom had a car involved himself. Andy, if you are talking about Andy Anderson, was a competitor who seldom helped in any organizing. Pete was there, didn't finish his car for a few years, mainly took video. We ran a motor out of the Rankin and Wheatland boat late our first year on the request of our neighbor in La Verne, Engine Dynamics. I ended up trading an Arrow funny car, which I had bought from Gaynor the year before for the motor and Dave started competing in the second year. I wasn't president of the group until a few years later when I was asked by Jim to come back because of some legal problems that were going on at the time. Richard was president the first two years. Some other people that should be mentioned for their help at the beginning are Gary Farrish, Dave McDaniel, Van Heskett, Mike Cotter, Olin Teves, and Howard Buggs. My memory is being stretched here and there are others that lent a helping hand, and some that caused more problems than help, and I am sorry for not mentioning all of them.

The people you are getting your information from don't mention the first organizational event that was held prior to any meetings or discussions because they weren't there or involved. It is with pleasure that I see the original concept has withstood the test of time.

Now back to DJ Safety.

Virgil,
Thanks for the clarification but for those of us who have been a part of CIFCA for over a decade have enough actual information to know what you just explained is true. Credit has been given over the years where it has been due and that's the reason I thanked you for all your contributions to this great little organization. It started out club sized and never got too big for it's britches. There have been those who insisted we needed a faster class to "Evolve" with the sport but they either moved up to other interests or died out after they blew their stuff up a couple times and ran out of money. The 7.50 concept has been a real winner for this group and it has stood the test of time since shows are still being booked as we speak.
Again, I thank you for all you did on behalf of everyone who's had the pleasure of racing in an affordable Funny Car series. It's perfect for my family and budget!

As for your need to answer Mr. Jones' allegations:
You have no more responsibility to do so than you would to answer a drunk yelling from the stands since many of us are already informed as to your role in CIFCA.

This is not to say Mr. Jones is a drunk - only to reference what I believe to be the intent of many, if not most of his posts. Pull up his name in the member list and read all his posts and you'll see what I mean. You weren't the sole target here. He appears to love conflict and somehow "gets off" on angering others. You were his target for the day and I'm sorry he did so. Please continue to share yourself here on the Mater.

Bobby...I was only responding to your post in regards to Virgil 'starting' CIFCA...The Hartmans were a huge part of CIFCA and many were/are thankful...
Talk to Maher/Gaynor or Mauriello/Tyron on the facts and you'd be puzzled and dissapointed on some of the past acts by some that were involved...

And if correcting or challenging someone gets them angered then that individual has a weak temper as there is nothing you/anyone could say about me to cause a wink of concern....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back