Respirators/gas masks (1 Viewer)

... the Nitro Fumes you can simply walk a few feet away if it's bothering you... It's not like the 'brown cloud' follows you through the pits.

If you're wearing a GAS MASK but wanna be "CLOSE TO THE NITRO" isn't that a bit counter productive???

Just curious, Tim, do you say that to team members that wear them during warm-ups? I mean really....what's the difference between 3' from the motor and and 10' away? It's not like the air quality changes a whole lot between the motor's exhaust and the end of the canopy.

Most of the spectators that wear them in the pits are also the ones who get right up front facing the direct exhaust blast and the ones that don't learn that lesson quickly.

You're right though, if it bothers you...move away. Most people after getting "the initiation" quickly figure out that they don't like choking or getting watery eyes to the point that they can't see and a small percentage of them choose to protect themselves so they can still be very close to the action multiple times a day...more than most crew members who choose to wear them.

No it didn't melt it, but I will have to test that theory with one of my old cel phones. Maybe it doesn't like plastic as much as rubber. It doesn't melt the plastic barrel pump or fuel jugs either. I have never noticed it to do much except taste bad or find a cut if you have one.

its certain types of plastic, blew a line on the fuel pump and the nito trashed the windshield on the funny car I used to work on

Most of the spectators that wear them in the pits are also the ones who get right up front facing the direct exhaust blast and the ones that don't learn that lesson quickly.

I guess I never learnt my lesson quickly. Maybe I'm just use to the stuff.

I've always wondered if the teams actually require the crew to wear the respirators and if so provide them with the required physical evaluations? At my work we have to wear the full face respirators and have annual training, physical and fit test. Just a curiousity thing :confused:
Good question Craig. I don't know about all the teams. But all the teams that I have been with, furnish ear muffs and a mask. It is our choice if we wear them or not. I have did it both ways, but it is a lot easier to set the timing, or check all the other settings when you can breathe and see what you are doing.

Yep, moving away is an option. But I like to stay close and watch what is
going on. That means either choke and cry or wear a mask. I choose the
latter.

As for the lack of the manly factor: whatever. I think I am looking out for
myself when I wear a mask, and as the old saying goes, discretion is the
better part of valor.

My hat is off to those who can stand close and not be bothered, be they
crewman or spectators.

If you see a goofy looking guy with a mask, it might be me. Don't laugh too
hard or my wussy side might be all sad and hurt and not know what to say.

;)

Just curious, Tim, do you say that to team members that wear them during warm-ups? I mean really....what's the difference between 3' from the motor and and 10' away? It's not like the air quality changes a whole lot between the motor's exhaust and the end of the canopy.

A crew member is trying to do a very important job during a warm up. Whether it's the guy setting the barrel, the guy setting the timing, the guy looking for leaks on the left side, or the right, the guy hold onto the chassis, the driver looking at the gauges, they all have very important jobs, that require all the attention and vision possible. Using a mask makes sense.

If a fan wants to use a mask, hey...more power to them.

latter.

better part of valor.

crewman or spectators.

;)

I'm feeling pissy tonight. Take the above with a grain of salt.

latter.

better part of valor.

crewman or spectators.

;)
Tom there is nothing wrong with wearing a mask. There are a lot more fans wearing them now than ever. We have even autographed some masks before. I use to be lax about wearing ear protection until I lost half the volume in my left ear due to nerve damage.

as masks became common among teams; so to with fans.
if teams had not adopted their use, neither would have fans.

hey, if a mask affords you a better experience, then use away.

here's the knuckleheads i see every year though.
- guy/s standing at rope with masks on, pumping fists; then when
motor is off, masks come off guy/s high 5'ing, yelling, feeling really important;
not to mention pushing through crowd as their 'protection' seems
to warrant them a spot 'on the rope'
have seen more than one crew member roll eyes at these likes.

as masks became common among teams; so to with fans.
if teams had not adopted their use, neither would have fans.

hey, if a mask affords you a better experience, then use away.

here's the knuckleheads i see every year though.
- guy/s standing at rope with masks on, pumping fists; then when
motor is off, masks come off guy/s high 5'ing, yelling, feeling really important;
not to mention pushing through crowd as their 'protection' seems
to warrant them a spot 'on the rope'
have seen more than one crew member roll eyes at these likes.

Sounds like and episode of Jersey Shore with nitromethane added in for good measure.

Mike, please be assured that I don't do this. I've been known to step aside for kids who cannot see past everyone else.

Through connections here on the Mater I and my son have been privileged to stand in front of the Bode car and the Densham car during warm ups. We had ear protection offered us (we had our own (me-fingers, son-real ear muffs!)). The fumes were not noticeable in front of the car because they both had a large fan(s) blowing it back on the cheap seats (ropes) :). Now if we are in the pits we usually don't hang around for the Nitro warm ups.

Also someone said if you don't like the fumes then you should back away and watch, but in Pomona if you aren't close you won't see much ... so if you want to watch the action you would have to suck it up or wear a respirator.

I'm digging up an old thread because I'd like some recommendations. I'm looking at possibly buying a half-mask style respirator for the upcoming season so it's easier for me to photo/video. What do you guys recommend and what cartridges do I need?

3M 6000 series Mask though I haven't used it over the last 4 years I would have to dig it out of tool box in trailer to give you the correct filter cartridge #

Ooops, these are full face respirators. You want a half mask. The full face respirators are expensive - I paid over $300 for mine.

Hmmm, just found this on the DOW Angus website:
Organic vapor canister gas masks should never be used for protection from nitromethane vapors.
But the 3M PDF shows Organic Vapor as the recommended filter. I guess I'm going to have to call 3M.

I think if I was around it all the time, I'd wear one, that's for sure! I'd also go for the full face respirator, it's 5 times as effective as a half mask.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back