HAVE yall considered lung protection? (1 Viewer)

kansasnitro54

Nitro Member
I see a thread on ear protection....also a concern is Protection for thew Lungs!
I can hear the goans and guffaws now BUT it can be importand especially the HIGH VOLUME nodays at the NHRA events!
As a person with lung problems(i feel it is NOT due to the Nitro fumes) but consider that when a Nitro car buns Nitromethane it DOES create 'Nitric Acid" as well as displacing the O2 in the immidiate area!
I learned way back in 2006 i had issues as for 20 minutes i hacked and coughed and puked a few times(was not pretty at all). So i headed to Ebay to find a full face respirator for me. Found a North and did reasearch on filters and found"ACID GAS" cartriges work the best and have been happy since! MAny a timer people back away and im smug a video the warm-ups as close as they allow!
I have on numerous ocassions seen people gaging and coughing back then and up to 2008 the Topeka NHRA race(cannot imagine what it is like NOW DAYS) people gasping and soem reports of people 10 minutes later DROPPINg from lung issues(unable to brethe).
So for me AT the track(my local Blown Alky /Nitro alterds and FED cars) i have the mask handy and sue it!
Just be SAFE about how close to get to the fumes and be mindful of otehr whom(maybe think they have iron lungs or something) and get to close and have troubles.
Hearing as well as lung issues do happens and im a reminder of that!
thank you and be SAFE at the track!
Clipper

I wears full face respirator if I have it in me, or I just walk away if it gets to thick. It's bad enough that I smoke, no need to add nitric acid fumes to the mix

I know it stinks but I've never heard of any negative effects from people who have been around it longer than dirt (Connie, Dunn).

Interesting. The MSDS for nitro says it's a carcinogen. I guess these guys are made of tough stuff.

And yet I know of two very healthy people who died in their late 40's/early 50's of lung cancer but never smoked a day in their lives and lived and grew up in smoke free homes.

When I was young, my family lived in a house for two years that backed right up to a busy freeway WITH high-power lines nearbye. As much as I tried to convince her that she had one, my sister never developed a third eye. Though I do still chuckle at A-type fitness freaks that preach secondhand smoke warnings then don their $300 running shoes or jump on their $3000 bicycle to go tail cars during their workouts.

Last year, my wife and I took our sportsman dragster to Famoso to make a couple of hits and a couple of nostalgia funny cars were there. At that moment, she was enduring a massive allergy attack. One of the funny cars parked next to us warmed up and sent a load of nitro our way. My wife stopped in her tracks as the nitro cloud floated by us. She looked at me and said her allergies just disappeared. After about an hour they came back. She then waited for another car to fire up and walked over to the car. She turned, smiled and said her allergies went away again.

omg, is this guy serious??? Better just stay at home then with the doors and windows closed with the air on!
stupid%21.jpg

I see a thread on ear protection....also a concern is Protection for thew Lungs!
I can hear the goans and guffaws now BUT it can be importand especially the HIGH VOLUME nodays at the NHRA events!
As a person with lung problems(i feel it is NOT due to the Nitro fumes) but consider that when a Nitro car buns Nitromethane it DOES create 'Nitric Acid" as well as displacing the O2 in the immidiate area!
I learned way back in 2006 i had issues as for 20 minutes i hacked and coughed and puked a few times(was not pretty at all). So i headed to Ebay to find a full face respirator for me. Found a North and did reasearch on filters and found"ACID GAS" cartriges work the best and have been happy since! MAny a timer people back away and im smug a video the warm-ups as close as they allow!
I have on numerous ocassions seen people gaging and coughing back then and up to 2008 the Topeka NHRA race(cannot imagine what it is like NOW DAYS) people gasping and soem reports of people 10 minutes later DROPPINg from lung issues(unable to brethe).
So for me AT the track(my local Blown Alky /Nitro alterds and FED cars) i have the mask handy and sue it!
Just be SAFE about how close to get to the fumes and be mindful of otehr whom(maybe think they have iron lungs or something) and get to close and have troubles.
Hearing as well as lung issues do happens and im a reminder of that!
thank you and be SAFE at the track!
Clipper

If your worried about Fumes, maybe you should find some other form of entertainment!

Because I am afraid of my own shadow, I attend the drags dressed in my full HazMat uniform with sound suppressing ear pieces, clean air generating back pack, with shock absorbing shoes. I won't use the upper floor in my trailer to transport the car because someone might fall off the lift gate, we don't start the car for fear of damaging the motor, won't make runs for fear of crashing, etc. , etc..

Maybe staying at home with windows closed and the air conditioning (with air purifier) on isn't such a bad idea. But what if I fall in the tub? Or an errant motorist crashes their car into my house where I am sitting? Oh dear, what should I do? What should I do?

The above is sarcasm in case you didn't get it. By all means if you have trouble with your lungs wear a respirator. Ear problems, wear noise suppressing head phones. Nitro will make you puke, it is your body's way of saying move away from the irritant. Nitro will irritate your eyes (makes them water), just do not rub them and it will go away quickly. A nitro motor will make your body rumble and along with the other things mentioned is why we get so addicted to the sport and nitro powered vehicles.

To each his own. I get wearing a gas mask in the pits, but in the stands, part of the experience for me is to get whiffs of nitro, racing gasoline, racing alcohol, and burnt rubber.

Not pleasant to the experience would be getting gassed if you happen to be downwind from the one in 2 chain smokers in the stands as well. I've been gassed more by packs of Marlboro's way more then anything coming off the race cars.

I'll never get the appeal of repeated direct nitro blasts during a warm up. It's something to surely experience at least once, and here and there. But I guess I'd rather be in the stands watching the sportsman racing anyway.

I'll never get the appeal of repeated direct nitro blasts during a warm up. It's something to surely experience at least once, and here and there. But I guess I'd rather be in the stands watching the sportsman racing anyway.

Yeah, the suit-up types that stand in the cloud defiantly while the crowd scatters always had me shaking my head too. "You're soooo cool."

Lots of byproducts in gaseous form tend to bond with oils in your skin as well. You are a walking chemistry set after a good solid dosing. Best bet is to wipe the areas around your mouth, nose and eyes thoroughly if extra sensitive. Seldom do I get to use another nitromater post as a link, but this one is worth a read.

http://www.nitromater.com/threads/reaction-formula-for-nitormethane.25852/

I can't remember who told me, but I trusted them enough to commit it to memory. It's always been by understanding that one of the most irritating byproducts of burning nitromethane is formaldehyde.

The Greek.

Frankly, some of the most healthy 60-80 year olds you will see are the old timers at the track. I don't know if it is the chemistry (nitro, methanol, VHT, c-16, tire smoke) or the engagement in a really fun activity. Most of the old goats at the track seem to be in much better shape than my retired teacher pals.

Sammi,

That's because those "old" guys use the act of racing cars to stay active. Many I'm sure use to drink lots of Coke or beer, eat hamburgers, use aerosol cans to paint and clean things and so on.

As the saying goes, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion."

AS usual MAKE FUN of something that CAN BE DEADLY SERIOUS!
I am nut a wuss and i have my fulface mask with me at the track all the time now!
yes there are a lot of people that have been in the sport and ill bet IF ya ask em IF they have breathing issues youll get some interesting answers.
Some people learn the hard way some NEVER learn... smart ASS answers was NOT what i intended to read here...... BUT the usal deal............ if one stays long enough at a plave with nitro fumes do you hear the hacking, couching and people backing away some even throw up( i saw this back in 2008)
CArry on and dont mind me next time ya geet too much a snoot ful and cannot catch yer breath......
Checked the filters i use and also protects against Hydrogen Sulfide and chorine besides acid gasses.....

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back