Respirators/gas masks (1 Viewer)

I'm one that learned a nitro dose lesson the hard way, and it was completely unintentional. 1991 Keystones at Maple Grove, Sunday morning before eliminations. Those who've been there knows how cramped the pits are WITHOUT people, let alone the hundreds crowding the aisle when it's time to warm up the cars.

Let it be known that I was already a Nitro veteran and not a "newbie". Dad & I simply got caught in the crowd when Force lit his car up. Fighting to get through, Tom Hoover fires his up near Force. Parked opposite was Kalitta and he fires up. I can't remember who else was firing up but there were about 5-6 cars running at once.

I remember feeling like I was going to pass out, and Dad kept saying once we get out of the yellow haze and into the stands, some fresh air would get me better. I walked up two rows, and the next thing I remember is my body jolting and passing out. Then the next thing I remember is being in an ambulance, and puking. An EMT shot me up with something to bring down my heartbeat that was up around 200 beats. I remember watching that come down on the screen. All of this after about 20 minutes, I began to feel better, was released, and didn't miss any pairs of 1st round.

Now what I didn't remember was what Dad told me. Once I passed out, he said I had bit my lip, jaws locked and a guy from the stands did mouth to mouth to get me breathing again. Dad said he used a Bic lighter behind my jaw to pry my mouth open. Dad thought I was dead. However, people reacted quickly to thankfully, save my life.

From that day on, and EVERY national event I've been to, I manage to keep my distance, especially if the crowd if forming around the cars. I still get my nitro fix, and am very careful at how I get it. I always tell this to any new fans to go with me. I always have my escape route planned.

l was told that Nitric Acid is almost the same as Tear Gas. l'm just a spectator, but you try shooting video/photos without a gas mask/ear plugs.

Nitro Alley pictures from cars photos on webshots

That's me wearing an NBC Gas Mask (same as supplied to British Troops - cost £80/$160) in Nitro AIIey at the 2005 Pontiac Performance Nationals, National Trail Raceway, Columbus, Ohio. Believe me you need to wear a Gas Mask when you're shooting video of a crew warming up a Top Fuel Dragster/Fuel Funny Car and yellow clouds of nitro fumes are billowing towards you. Without a Gas Mask nitro fumes are great for clearing your sinuses.

I always wear the mask when we warm our car, but always pull it off a little early to get a whiff after the car is shut off :cool:

It always amazes me when I see other crew guys with no masks during the warm ups. I don't know how you could possibly get used to nitro fumes to the point where you don't need a mask.

l was told that Nitric Acid is almost the same as Tear Gas. l'm just a spectator, but you try shooting video/photos without a gas mask/ear plugs.
I do it every time I'm at the track, without a mask. I'll pull my shirt up over my mouth and nose if it gets to be too much, but I've never worn a mask. I've only been driven away once, that was taping Tim Wilkerson's warm-up at Cordova one year when he was driving the JCIT car. That was the most wicked yellow cloud of nitro I've ever been around! :D

It's not like the 'brown cloud' follows you through the pits.

Are they using different nitro now...such that it forms a brown cloud instead of the yellow I've been accustomed to in the past? Or are ya color blind?See, Tim? That's what breathing all those nitro fumes will do to ya.

I've always wondered if the teams actually require the crew to wear the respirators and if so provide them with the required physical evaluations? At my work we have to wear the full face respirators and have annual training, physical and fit test. Just a curiousity thing :confused:

Never really understood the whole fascination with warmups. I move promptly the other way.

And always wear hearing protection when alky or nitro cars run. I can understand the macho clowns who don't, but parents who don't protect their children should be shot.

Still have tinnitus though... got it in the last six months, and doc says it's just "gettin old". Great.

Are they using different nitro now...such that it forms a brown cloud instead of the yellow I've been accustomed to in the past? Or are ya color blind?See, Tim? That's what breathing all those nitro fumes will do to ya.

I thought it was all those paint chips I ate as a kid....:D:D:D

Out of curiosity, are you from Rhode Island? That is a big deal up here. There has been a long standing lawsuit dealing with lead in paint chips...

hahaha.... naw... just a fan of Tommy Boy.... ;) But.... I LOVE the RED SOX... and my family has STRONG ties to Boston....

I always wear the mask when we warm our car, but always pull it off a little early to get a whiff after the car is shut off :cool:

It always amazes me when I see other crew guys with no masks during the warm ups. I don't know how you could possibly get used to nitro fumes to the point where you don't need a mask.
You mean like Dupey?

A couple years back at the Mile High Nationals my dad and I were waiting for Doug Kalitta to warm up. Doug and Connie come walking back and they both have what appears to be double cheeseburgers. Doug sits his on one of the workbenches and jumps in the car. Connie is leaning against a workbench at about the halfway point of the dragster looking in at Doug. They fire the car and it runs for a little while when Connie decides to take a lap around and check it out. He slowly trots past Doug, then past the headers, past the big slick, to the wheelie bar. He stops and takes a bite while standing behind the car. Then, after a few more seconds, he continues around. Just after passing the tire, and with the headers blasting nitro right into his face, he opens his mouth and takes a giant bite of the burger and keeps on walking. I turn to my dad to see if he just saw what I just saw and we were both laughing. Connie had his face, mouth wide open mind you, and his hamburger right in the path of the nitro coming out of the headers, and he proceeded to take a huge bite and keep on chewing and walking like nothing special had happened. I guess after all of these years it was just a typical Sunday dinner for Connie!

I have tried all kinds of sauces and spices on my burger over the years but I can't say I've ever tried a burger that had been sprayed with nitro methane.

I always hang my mask on the front of the chassis by the fuel tank before the warm up, and one time last year while we were mixing the fuel, a little bit was splashing out of the tank right in to my mask. When we went to warm up I grabbed my mask and put it on, and I can tell you that inhaling unburnt nitro fumes is not as pleasant as burnt nitro fumes. I didn't have time to clean it so I just grabbed a towel and we warmed up. Now I make sure the fuel is mixed before I hang my mask. But last weekend at Norwalk we were getting ready to warm up and I went to put my mask on and it was full again. I looked up and every one was laughing. Bode had poured water in it.

And it didnt melt any of it?...a couple years back we kicked a belt so obviuosly I couldnt back the motor down so the thing was full of nitro so when I pulled my head I got a nitro bath. Well at that time I had my cell phone in my pocket, It literally melted and was stuck to the fabric of my pocket.

And it didnt melt any of it?...a couple years back we kicked a belt so obviuosly I couldnt back the motor down so the thing was full of nitro so when I pulled my head I got a nitro bath. Well at that time I had my cell phone in my pocket, It literally melted and was stuck to the fabric of my pocket.
No it didn't melt it, but I will have to test that theory with one of my old cel phones. Maybe it doesn't like plastic as much as rubber. It doesn't melt the plastic barrel pump or fuel jugs either. I have never noticed it to do much except taste bad or find a cut if you have one.

One time I was down there pushing pistons out, and one of the jugs was full of fuel so I ended up giving myself a fuel bath. It got me where the sun don't shine and that wasn't too pleasant.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back