HAVE yall considered lung protection? (1 Viewer)

One thing as you mentioned the "OLD GUYS" had what size pumps on the cars and fuel volumes........ BIG difference THEN and NOW!

If I'm going to be around taking pics or video in the pits I'll carry my respirator with me. I have a 3M half-mask style respirator with acid gas carts and it works great. I went with the half-mask style so it didn't interfere with getting the viewfinder up to my eye.

The same friend of mine who has a nostalgia funny car I crew on also has an exhibition nitro car. It’s got a blown 392 Hemi on 80%.
The zoomies come out under the doors of the car.
Last week he let me sit in the driver seat and fire the car. I had the driver side door cracked a bit in case I needed to bail out real quick. While the engine was running, it was filling the cockpit with nitro fumes.
My eyes were watering and I started coughing. But, it hurt so good.

I see a thread on ear protection....also a concern is Protection for thew Lungs!
I can hear the goans and guffaws now BUT it can be importand especially the HIGH VOLUME nodays at the NHRA events!
As a person with lung problems(i feel it is NOT due to the Nitro fumes) but consider that when a Nitro car buns Nitromethane it DOES create 'Nitric Acid" as well as displacing the O2 in the immidiate area!
I learned way back in 2006 i had issues as for 20 minutes i hacked and coughed and puked a few times(was not pretty at all). So i headed to Ebay to find a full face respirator for me. Found a North and did reasearch on filters and found"ACID GAS" cartriges work the best and have been happy since! MAny a timer people back away and im smug a video the warm-ups as close as they allow!
I have on numerous ocassions seen people gaging and coughing back then and up to 2008 the Topeka NHRA race(cannot imagine what it is like NOW DAYS) people gasping and soem reports of people 10 minutes later DROPPINg from lung issues(unable to brethe).
So for me AT the track(my local Blown Alky /Nitro alterds and FED cars) i have the mask handy and sue it!
Just be SAFE about how close to get to the fumes and be mindful of otehr whom(maybe think they have iron lungs or something) and get to close and have troubles.
Hearing as well as lung issues do happens and im a reminder of that!
thank you and be SAFE at the track!
Clipper
I think it's a legitimate question.
I LOVE nitromethane! The sound and the smell.
But I learned unfortunately by accident, trying to escape through a crowded pit row at Maple Grove as a teenager in 1991.
I couldn't escape the fumes as both rows had multiple cars warming up before 1st round.
Once I got to the grandstands, I passed out. Scared my dad. Had medics come get me and treated me.
Heart rate was sky high, and I puked big time in the ambulance. Once I got my bearings back to me, I was OK the rest of the day.
It was the first time I saw my dad cry as he thought I was dead. I had no knowledge of why I wasn't sitting in my seat. Diagnosed with a seizure. Never had one before that day, or one since.
But to this day since then, I make sure I have an escape route when the nitro fills the air. I get my snort, clear the nose, burn the eyes and throat, and I'm good.

So, it's not about being wimpy or needing to stay inside. It's about having sense.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back