Warming up on methanol before transitioning to nitro (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
Why is it that some funny cars warm up on methanol before transitioning to nitro and others don't? Also, from what I have seen so far, TF/Ds do not so this (though A/Fuel dragsters do)

I believe that Eugene went thru the warm up procedure very well, I have always warmed up on alkiy or even gas from an old pressurized soda can to build heat in the motor ,check for leaks and the norm. Then turn over to fuel to set idle and other variables and to set the clutch. It has changed some but for the cost most still warm the old fashond way.

Why is it that some funny cars warm up on methanol before transitioning to nitro and others don't? Also, from what I have seen so far, TF/Ds do not so this (though A/Fuel dragsters do)

If you do not warm an A/fuel car on something other than nitro you will blow it up.

Yes, Eugene indeed gave a nice explanation of their warm up procedures.

I know that an A/Fuel car has to be warmed up before switching to nitro.

I should have left A/Fuel cars out of the question as they cloud the picture.

My real question is why do some funny cars warm up on alky before switching to nitro and others don't? And why do top fuel dragsters not do this at all?

It is more economical, plus the Methanol is nice through the blower and the oil sees less dilution. On the down side because you take the motor to a target temperature on Methanol the heat soak through the engine can fool you if you have a distribution problem. Often when you make a run you are in the staging lanes for sometime and the motor has to come up from being cold on Nitro. The spread between rich and lean cylinders is wider than if it was warmed up first and allowed to soak.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back