Respirators/gas masks (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
How many people wear a respirator/gas mask during a warm up? I do, simply because I got "gassed" real bad one year. I've seen a few others at the tracks I have gone to that wear a mask, but there are so few that wear as mask that I feel out of place....

For those that do wear a mask, what do you use? I went a little overboard and bought a 3M 7800 series mask.

How many people wear a respirator/gas mask during a warm up? I do, simply because I got "gassed" real bad one year. I've seen a few others at the tracks I have gone to that wear a mask, but there are so few that wear as mask that I feel out of place....

For those that do wear a mask, what do you use? I went a little overboard and bought a 3M 7800 series mask.

Are you a nitro crew member??? If not.... Man card please... ;)

Your comment reminds me of the deaf guys today - who called those of us pu$$y's for using hearing protection in the 70's.

If nitro fumes don't feel right, wear a respirator.

"In spark-ignition engines exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine whose fuel includes nitromethane, contains nitric acid vapor, which when inhaled causes a muscular reaction making it impossible to breathe, and people exposed to it should wear a gas mask." according to the MSDS for Nitromethane.

BTW, I still have most of my hearing.

I wear a full face and ear muffs... a habit I got into from warming up the alky car in the shop.... there's something about the smell of nitro today that's different from 40 years ago... but it could just be that it's in a confined space.

then again, my hearing is shot, Have a ringing 24/7, and I have been sensitized to polyisocyinates, which makes breathing a little harder.

still, there are times I don't pull the straps completely tight;)

d'kid

I worked on a fuel car for five years. We would get a laugh at the jackasses that thought they were proving their manhood by standing next to the car with no gas mask or ear plugs.

Tim, Could you type louder I can't hear a word you're saying:D
You young "kids" should know better than to stand around listening & breathing in those fumes, look at some of the old guys running around the races.:eek:

I wear one so i can get as close as i can when a fuel car warms up,but i don't waste my time on cars that don't wack the throttle.

i'm with chris - travel light........sunglasses sans mask and plugs.

wind / distance / fingers in ears when close

rite on timmah

I don't wear a mask but I have been known to pull my shirt up over my mouth and nose if it gets to be a little much. :D I always wear ear plugs though because I don't want to have tinnitus later in life (and I love home audio too much).

Last edited:
I always joke with people that I have no idea what they are saying because I stopped wearing ear protection when I was like 5 so Im probably half-way deaf already

I don't wear a mask but I have been known to pull my shirt up over my mouth and nose if it gets to be a little much. :D I always wear ear plugs though because I don't want to have tinnitus later in life (and I love home audio too much).

What was that Brent, can't hear you over the loud RINGING THAT NEVER GOES AWAY... and only gets worst daily... can't hear someone on a cell phone, can't even hear myself talk sometimes...

About 50 % of the time, I'm reading lips as much hearing someone talking to me.

and no, it isn't all from being around race cars most of my life... it's the other things we don't think about.

d'kid

This post is hilarious. I go with the ear plugs, and the shirt over the mouth with sunglasses. Gotta plan ahead though, as mentioned before, just stand up wind if possible. I don't mind getting gassed once or twice a weekend though. Please do wear earplugs or cover your ears though,a whack - even just one could do permanent ear damage.

Your comment reminds me of the deaf guys today - who called those of us pu$$y's for using hearing protection in the 70's.

If nitro fumes don't feel right, wear a respirator.

"In spark-ignition engines exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine whose fuel includes nitromethane, contains nitric acid vapor, which when inhaled causes a muscular reaction making it impossible to breathe, and people exposed to it should wear a gas mask." according to the MSDS for Nitromethane.

BTW, I still have most of my hearing.

And let me guess, GUNS KILL PEOPLE....RIGHT DARR???

You can't escape the noise...even when in the stands...So wear the ear protection always... the Nitro Fumes you can simply walk a few feet away if it's bothering you... It's not like the 'brown cloud' follows you through the pits.

If you're wearing a GAS MASK but wanna be "CLOSE TO THE NITRO" isn't that a bit counter productive???

Under the canopy or next to the motor, behind the wheel or trying to adjust a barrel valve, that's one thing. That's some toxic stuff for certain. But come on... wearing one as a spectator? If the fumes bother you, simple walk back a few feet...and go down wind... you'll still see the action, still "feel" the power.:rolleyes:

It's alot of work to get it all just right; first of all you have to strategicly plan your position according to wind direction. Breathe only through your mouth from the moment the starter motor spins until the driver climbs out of the cockpit. If you let even a slight whiff slip through the nostrils - game over. Worst case, a trick I learned from Dad - extend your lower lip slightly and blow from the mouth, up the face/eyes/nose..... similar to how some people will "blow" thier bangs out of thier eyes. And of course the number one rule and Cardinal Sin.... don't so much as flinch or blink an eye if they hit the throttle. :D

It's alot of work to get it all just right; first of all you have to strategicly plan your position according to wind direction. Breathe only through your mouth from the moment the starter motor spins until the driver climbs out of the cockpit. If you let even a slight whiff slip through the nostrils - game over. Worst case, a trick I learned from Dad - extend your lower lip slightly and blow from the mouth, up the face/eyes/nose..... similar to how some people will "blow" thier bangs out of thier eyes. And of course the number one rule and Cardinal Sin.... don't so much as flinch or blink an eye if they hit the throttle. :D

chewing gum also helps.... ;)

Never, its not as bad as CS in the gas chamber. I stand behind the crowd and let the yellow cloud clear me a spot close to the ropes.:D

S/F
D

Back in the day when you could back the car out from between the trailers for the warm up the masks were not really needed. But the NHRA deemed "safer" start up under the tent and between the trailers created an unbearable environment. Crew-persons should demand a 20 foot zone behind the trailers cordoned off to allow for these activities. Require they remain clear of support vehicles to ensure a clear view for spectators. Forcing crews to endure the concentrated exhaust is inhumane and probably violates a handful of OSHA regulations.

"Top Fuel, how tough can it be"
Fat Wally 1992

Last edited:
I get a kick out of this post,
It is hard to work when you can't see and are trying to set the timing and barrel. Especially with canopies and closed in by the trailer next door. Different deal if you just want a sniff.....lol
Use a mask with nitro. It is much easier
Dale

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back