Racing May End at 'KCIR' (1 Viewer)

FABMAN

Nitro Member
Thursday, Nov 3, 2011
Posted on Wed, Nov. 02, 2011
KC may buy drag strip for new park
By LYNN HORSLEY The Kansas City Star

Kansas City has taken a preliminary step toward buying the Kansas City International Drag Strip in the Little Blue Valley so it can be converted into a park.

The city council’s Planning and Zoning Committee today authorized the park board to purchase the 93-acre property at 82nd Street and Noland Road from NP3 Racing LLC for an undisclosed price. The measure goes to the full Council Thursday for approval.

“It has been a long time coming,” 5th District at-large Councilwoman Cindy Circo said, noting that neighborhoods in her East Kansas City district have tried for years to acquire the property for a regional park. She said the owners finally reduced the price to a point where the city could afford it.

“It was a priority, and there was money available for it,” Circo said.

Assistant City Attorney Ted Anderson said the price won’t be disclosed until late this month, after the deal closes. He said the money will come from a parks development fund and from public improvement sales tax dollars available for the 5th Council District.

A city fact sheet supporting the purchase said that, over time, a 90-acre “sea of asphalt” will be replaced with grass and pervious surfaces that should reduce flooding and increase water quality.

Dan Porrevecchio, past president of the Little Blue Valley Homes Association, said his neighborhood group had been trying for a long time to relocate the racetrack, which was noisy. He said the new city park will be adjacent to the county’s Little Blue Trace Park and will become part of a regional park complex that can feature softball and soccer fields and trails.

“It’s a boon to the Little Blue Valley, for the peaceful environment of the homeowners in the area,” Porrevecchio said, adding that it could be the linchpin for more residential development.

Porrevecchio said the community is also working with the racetrack’s owners to find a larger, better and more accessible venue within the city for the drag racing operations.

I am sad to hear this. KCIR is where I first got my introduction to drag racing.

I bet the people that are complaining about the noise moved into the neighborhood knowing full well there was a noisy track nearby.

Despite this bad news, at least people in the western Missouri/eastern Kansas have Topeka to get their drag racing fix.

Porrevecchio said the community is also working with the racetrack’s owners to find a larger, better and more accessible venue within the city for the drag racing operations.

Yeah.......:rolleyes:

Right.......:rolleyes:

As soon as the cotnracts are signed, it'll be "Excuse me, NP3 racing who????"

I grew up in Independence Mo, and spent a lot of time out there.

Sad. :(

I am sad to hear this. KCIR is where I first got my introduction to drag racing.

I bet the people that are complaining about the noise moved into the neighborhood knowing full well there was a noisy track nearby.

Despite this bad news, at least people in the western Missouri/eastern Kansas have Topeka to get their drag racing fix.

True. It's about an hour's drive. Not bad. better than the two hours it takes to get to Brainerd from here.

The council has voted and KCIR is done. The city has no intention of helping to find a new property. I've been going there since it opened. Sad day for sure.

Yeah.......:rolleyes:

Right.......:rolleyes:

As soon as the cotnracts are signed, it'll be "Excuse me, NP3 racing who????"

I grew up in Independence Mo, and spent a lot of time out there.

Sad. :(

Like Greg posted it is a done deal. Watch when spring comes around and the High School kids have no place to race (a lot of H.S. programs at KCIR) will start street racing and result in someone getting severely hurt or killed. Bad Deal Council!

From what I've read, KCIR had no viable choice except to sell. The city was going to condemn the property and shut them down if they didn't accept the city's offer to buy the property. KCIR was willing to take less money for the property if the city found a place for them to build a new facility. Apparently, that never was the city's intention. They just wanted the place gone, and now it is. :(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back