Future of Heartland Park (and KS Nationals) in jeopardy (1 Viewer)

Chevy Nick

Nitro Member
There was a massive blow to the future of Heartland Park Topeka (HPT) last week. A "concerned citizen" was able to gather enough signatures for a petition to halt the sale of Heartland Park to the city of Topeka. It has been reported that the operator of HPT will be foreclosed on Feb 28, 2015 by CoreFirst Bank & Trust. There will likely be an election on the purchase of HPT in April, 2015, but there will be little left to save at that point.

Registered member said:
The petition drive sought to overturn the city governing body’s Aug. 12 vote to purchase the financially troubled Heartland Park racing facility and expand its redevelopment district. The Aug. 12 vote was among steps required to carry out the city’s plan to buy Heartland Park and solve a problem regarding Sales Tax Revenue (STAR) bond debt.

The problem developed after the city council voted in 2006 to issue $10.46 million worth of STAR bonds to finance improvements at Heartland Park. Plans called for those to be paid off using sales tax revenue from the track.

But Heartland Park’s STAR bond revenues have consistently fallen short, forcing the city to use property tax revenue to make up the difference. City manager Jim Colson said the moves the city proposes to make would enable the city to break even on the arrangement while using sales tax revenue instead of property tax revenue to cover about $8 million in STAR bond debt on the property. City government officials intend to find a buyer for the track or, if they can’t accomplish that, contract with someone to manage it.

Imming, who led the petition drive, has been acquisitions manager since 2010 for Midwest Housing and Equity Group Kansas, and previously spent more than 20 years with the Federal Home Loan Bank in Topeka.

He questioned whether the purchase was a good idea, and suggested Topekans should be able to vote on it.

http://cjonline.com/news/2014-10-13/petition-drive-regarding-heartland-park-topeka-succeeds

The group closing down HPT has a facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/heartlandparkpetition

I voiced my opinion to them.

Sucks for the race fan. In order to maintain the peace and harmony of the Mater, I will make no further comments on the political group that seemingly is involved in this matter...:rolleyes:

From what I reported in August they have taken over with intention to complete improvements on track and surrounding properties. They are planning to keep racing for 2015 and on. For now they looking for group run track with intentions to find a new buyer. No plans to close facility.

Boy ... I don' know Jesse. Things seem to have changed in Topeka since that August report. This goes right to the power of the people. It has been discovered that taxpayer revenue (Sales Tax) has been being used to cover financial shortfalls coming out of that property and the people don't like that. This got the voting publics attention and they obtained twice as many signatures as they needed to force this to become a ballot question in the November elections.

IMO ... all bets are off once this gets on the ballot. Could go either way, but the voice of the people will be heard. I hope I am wrong ... losing racing facilities is not a good thing.

I too hate to see another race track close, even though I personally had a very bad experience with the Kansas Dept of Revenue and would never set foot inside Heartland Park again. I can understand the problem a taxpayer would have with the local government owning a race track, even though I understand their intentions. I know the NHRA event has a positive impact on the local economy, but I also wonder what the actual impact really is. I have read several articles about state and local governments giving manufacturing facilities so many tax breaks to move to their locale that it was actually a money losing proposition for them. I wonder how much the empty seats we are seeing at most facilities are really impacting the tax generation of a national event. I also wonder something else. Back in the day, most race teams stayed at local hotels, ate at local restaurants, etc. but now virtually all come in motorhomes. I know when we go camping, we come prepared with all the food and supplies (usually much more than we need) needed for our trip. Makes me wonder how much this also effects the local economy.

Boy ... I don' know Jesse. Things seem to have changed in Topeka since that August report. This goes right to the power of the people. It has been discovered that taxpayer revenue (Sales Tax) has been being used to cover financial shortfalls coming out of that property and the people don't like that. This got the voting publics attention and they obtained twice as many signatures as they needed to force this to become a ballot question in the November elections.

IMO ... all bets are off once this gets on the ballot. Could go either way, but the voice of the people will be heard. I hope I am wrong ... losing racing facilities is not a good thing.

You're right none of this was mention about how taxes were being used and about the people wanting the right to vote on the issue. I have a personal interest in this I spent some time form my business in the mid 80's helping to promote this facility, I hope the people realize the asset this race track has and the City of Topeka work out a resolution that works for everyone concerned.

If Bruton takes it over perhaps he can run a 4 wide shuttle from the spectator stands to the pits. A shuttle could cut about an hour off of that hike. Or as an alternative provide binoculars and sun shades for those sitting in the pit side stands. Not a very fan friendly layout.

i've always wondered why the scca moved their headquarters to topeka...does anyone know...just seems this isn't a town of people that think racing anymore...just curious?

Reader's Digest version: City of Topeka is moving to have petition stopping the sale of HPT declared invalid. Topeka citizens seem very upset.

Your daily HPT update: Topeka city council members share opinions on Heartland Park situation

My favorite quote, from Karen Hiller.
“The issue may be moot if there is a delay.

The STAR bond expansion, though Secretary George approved it based on the August agreement, is not likely to carry forward if there is no business to support. With no clear transition to the next season, races and racers that have not already left told various people long ago they would likely make other plans for the next season. Various long-expected bankruptcy and foreclosure actions are likely to proceed. With all of that, the business will likely end and it will be too late to pull things together under another structure for the next season.

[QUO TE=" soccer Nick Sc ott, post: 335252, member: 8l]Reader's Digest version: City of Topeka is moving to have petition stopping the sale of HPT declared invalid. Topeka citizens seem very upset.

Your daily HPT update: Topeka city council members share opinions on Heartland Park situation

My favorite quote, from Karen Hiller.[/QUOTE]

I think Karen HIller is speaking for what she wants to happen, she doesn't have a clue. I know a lot of racers and they are looking for the quick 32 series, division races and the Nationals there schedule hasn't Changed, of course the racers are concerned about people like Karen HIller.

When the public gets involved, it's pretty much 'sayonara' for race tracks, drag strips in particular. Billy Meyer once offered the deal of a lifetime to the city of Grand Prairie, TX...the city council was all for it - the new facility would have been located between GP and Dallas basically in the middle of nowhere - but the voters ran Meyer out of town. Can't have all that noise (how loud would it be 5 miles from the closest subdivision?) and all those nasty, thug DRAG racers that are out on our streets killing people.

This one sounds like it also has financial implications but I promise you if the public can rid itself of HPT, they will.

Or, maybe it would be a great place to race like Vegas, Sonoma, and Bristol is, and how Charlotte will be after he fixes he problems there.

Well of all the tracks I have been to, Topeka is the least convienient to get around! The Pits are past the finish line, it's bad enough walking to the pits on the Pitside, for the fans on the Spectator side, a royal PITA!

nascar will not race here; you will never find bruton or a similar buyer interested in this facility. let the track die.
it would make more sense to add a dragstrip to the kansas speedway property that nascar currently runs at.
they have plenty of room there.

If money was invested to repave the road course, I could see an IMSA race or even a Truck series race at HPT; both have happened in the past.

NASCAR ain't coming back, and Sports Car races (with very few exceptions like Sebring and Road Atlanta) are rarely money makers. Those events operate like a divisional race, all the money comes from small sponsors and entry fees. Some events are even propped up manufacturers like Porsche.

I hate it for the racers, fans and D5 ... But it sounds like the people of Topeka have spoken, and they have said no tax money for HPT. I hope someone comes up with a viable solution between now and the end of the year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back