Bruton Smith: "90% chance" he will move track out of Concord (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
CONCORD --
Lowe's Motor Speedway owner Bruton Smith now says there is a "90 percent chance" he will move his track out of Concord for another site around Charlotte.

And if he leaves Concord, Smith said, he will raze the track and sell the property piecemeal.

Smith's comments to the Observer on Monday are the latest twist in an episode that began when the city of Concord moved to stop work on a $60 million drag strip on speedway property.

After the City Council's Oct. 1 vote to rezone the property to ban drag strips, Smith threatened to move the track. Last week, the city reversed its position on the drag strip and started talking about offering incentives to help reduce noise from the drag strip, a concern among neighbors.

If he moved his speedway operations elsewhere, Smith said, he would bulldoze the turns at the track instead of using it as a testing facility, then sell the property off in pieces.

He also said he would feel obligated to buy back the 52 condominiums at the speedway from their owners.

"If I move, I'd have to do the moral thing," Smith said.

He also said the one regret he would have is the impact a move would have on the businesses near the track. "You'd rather go through life not hurting anybody," Smith said.

A final decision on the move won't be made until after the Concord City Council revisits the issue Oct. 24, Smith said.

Local officials are continuing to try to persuade Smith to stay put. Several state lawmakers approached him at Saturday's Bank of America 500 race, telling him how much they appreciated his being in North Carolina, said state Rep. Linda Johnson, R-Cabarrus.

John Cox, chief executive officer of Cabarrus Economic Development, also has talked with Smith over the past few days.

"I think the message is getting through that we care about him, and we care about this project, and we will do everything in our power to retain (the speedway)," Cox said.

The speedway is paying more than $1.7 million in city and county taxes this year. Last year, the track generated $169 million in tourism spending for the county.

Smith declined to encourage speculation that he was considering a move to Rock Hill, saying he has not disclosed where he is looking to move. He did say he was considering about 20 sites within an 18-mile radius of Charlotte/Douglas International Airport.

"I'm committed to staying in this market," Smith said. "I'd say there's a 90 percent chance we will (move out of Concord and) build somewhere else. This has gone down the road a long ways."

He said he received a call from Gov. Mike Easley on Saturday morning, and that the governor was supportive of the track and of keeping it in Concord. Smith said he would hold off commenting on whether he is interested in financial incentives to stay.

Last Thursday, the Concord City Council voted to ask city staff to come up with a tax-incentive package for the drag strip and for improvements Smith has mentioned for the track. Smith has said he had wanted to spend about $200 million on improvements.

Smith also has said he is willing to spend $350 million to abandon the Concord track and build another elsewhere in the Charlotte area.

The council also asked Concord's Planning and Zoning Commission to consider amending the speedway's zoning to allow drag strips on the property -- the use the council had banned the previous week. The zoning board plans to address the issue at its meeting tonight.

"We've put them in a bad position, and I apologize for that," Mayor Scott Padgett said.

CONCORD --
Lowe's Motor Speedway owner Bruton Smith now says there is a "90 percent chance" he will move his track out of Concord for another site around Charlotte.

And if he leaves Concord, Smith said, he will raze the track and sell the property piecemeal.

Smith's comments to the Observer on Monday are the latest twist in an episode that began when the city of Concord moved to stop work on a $60 million drag strip on speedway property.

After the City Council's Oct. 1 vote to rezone the property to ban drag strips, Smith threatened to move the track. Last week, the city reversed its position on the drag strip and started talking about offering incentives to help reduce noise from the drag strip, a concern among neighbors.

If he moved his speedway operations elsewhere, Smith said, he would bulldoze the turns at the track instead of using it as a testing facility, then sell the property off in pieces.

He also said he would feel obligated to buy back the 52 condominiums at the speedway from their owners.

"If I move, I'd have to do the moral thing," Smith said.

He also said the one regret he would have is the impact a move would have on the businesses near the track. "You'd rather go through life not hurting anybody," Smith said.

A final decision on the move won't be made until after the Concord City Council revisits the issue Oct. 24, Smith said.

Local officials are continuing to try to persuade Smith to stay put. Several state lawmakers approached him at Saturday's Bank of America 500 race, telling him how much they appreciated his being in North Carolina, said state Rep. Linda Johnson, R-Cabarrus.

John Cox, chief executive officer of Cabarrus Economic Development, also has talked with Smith over the past few days.

"I think the message is getting through that we care about him, and we care about this project, and we will do everything in our power to retain (the speedway)," Cox said.

The speedway is paying more than $1.7 million in city and county taxes this year. Last year, the track generated $169 million in tourism spending for the county.

Smith declined to encourage speculation that he was considering a move to Rock Hill, saying he has not disclosed where he is looking to move. He did say he was considering about 20 sites within an 18-mile radius of Charlotte/Douglas International Airport.

"I'm committed to staying in this market," Smith said. "I'd say there's a 90 percent chance we will (move out of Concord and) build somewhere else. This has gone down the road a long ways."

He said he received a call from Gov. Mike Easley on Saturday morning, and that the governor was supportive of the track and of keeping it in Concord. Smith said he would hold off commenting on whether he is interested in financial incentives to stay.

Last Thursday, the Concord City Council voted to ask city staff to come up with a tax-incentive package for the drag strip and for improvements Smith has mentioned for the track. Smith has said he had wanted to spend about $200 million on improvements.

Smith also has said he is willing to spend $350 million to abandon the Concord track and build another elsewhere in the Charlotte area.

The council also asked Concord's Planning and Zoning Commission to consider amending the speedway's zoning to allow drag strips on the property -- the use the council had banned the previous week. The zoning board plans to address the issue at its meeting tonight.

"We've put them in a bad position, and I apologize for that," Mayor Scott Padgett said.

Sounds like Bruton has them where he wants em.

"He did say he was considering about 20 sites within an 18-mile radius of Charlotte/Douglas International Airport."

Just thinking out loud here, but if a huge ass circle track would fit into one of those 20 sites, wouldn't a drag strip? I guess he's already started the Earth
moving process at the Concord site, but building the drag strip in a remote location with respect to the circle track would solve a lot of the political problems and shunt the image he's creating for himself as a colossal bully.

The toes you step on while you're climbing up are attached to the asses you'll be kissing on your way back down.

Brian

"He did say he was considering about 20 sites within an 18-mile radius of Charlotte/Douglas International Airport."

Just thinking out loud here, but if a huge ass circle track would fit into one of those 20 sites, wouldn't a drag strip? I guess he's already started the Earth
moving process at the Concord site, but building the drag strip in a remote location with respect to the circle track would solve a lot of the political problems and shunt the image he's creating for himself as a colossal bully.

The toes you step on while you're climbing up are attached to the asses you'll be kissing on your way back down.

Brian

Think about it from his point of view. Given he is running a business with the primary purpose of making money.

He has invested millions of dollars into the site bringing approximately $169M into local business area over the last year. Plus all of the city taxes that they can use to improve the public services and areas.

He decides to invest another $60M to build a drag strip which will bring millions more into the business area and the city say NO!! Give me a break.

I hope he keeps it in Concord for all of the local business owners sake. The city screwed themselves as far as I am concerned.

... The city screwed themselves as far as I am concerned.
You got that right!

This is another perfect example of politicians doing what they think is right for their political career rather than doing what is right, period!

At least the politicians in Concord, NC are willing to eat a little crow and reverse themselves... unlike the pinheads out here in Sonoma County where Infineon is located. They bend to the whims of a handful of influential residents that live within a few miles of the facility instead of allowing it to operate up to it's maximum potential.

This statement is so pathetic it's almost laughable. The only reason they care now is because he's threatened to take away their cash cow. They didn't seem to care too much before he decided to tell them where they could stick it when he told them he'd just move the entire place somewhere else.

Could the city be any dumber.. Boy did they play into Bruton hands. Now not only will the Gov & others want him to stay put and give him tax brakes and other perks. By the time this is done the city will end up spending more money on this than they ever dream of. Wait till he starts with his list of demands. Local goverment is in big trouble now....

I say he's bluffing--but boy I wouldnt want to call that bluff! ;) Think about --lets say the dragstrip was fine with the town from day 1. Would you start construction on a property your "going to raze+ sell off piecemeal"? Once the town blinked, he saw how quick they were willing to kiss his wealthy behind. Now he wants the state + everyone else to start kissin' too. Anyone ever know of Bruton of keeping grand plans a secret? If he had plans of moving it in next 20 years it would have been announce with big flash drawings.
Remember the covered drag strip? How about putting a roof over Bristol speedway? :p

I say he's bluffing--but boy I wouldnt want to call that bluff! ;) Think about --lets say the dragstrip was fine with the town from day 1. Would you start construction on a property your "going to raze+ sell off piecemeal"? Once the town blinked, he saw how quick they were willing to kiss his wealthy behind. Now he wants the state + everyone else to start kissin' too. Anyone ever know of Bruton of keeping grand plans a secret? If he had plans of moving it in next 20 years it would have been announce with big flash drawings.
Remember the covered drag strip? How about putting a roof over Bristol speedway? :p
That's just it though - he didn't have plants to bulldoze and raze anything when he started construction. He started grading before the town changed the zoning to stop the construction. He was already planning on spending $60M to build the dragstrip, so it's not inconceivable that he would spend another $290M to start from scratch. Particularly because a new site would come with a lot of incentives. Generally speaking, the local government will shell out to get this type of a cash cow because they make the money back and then some. It would totally be worth subsidizing the cost of construction and land acquisition in exchange for $1.7M in property tax and a $169M per year injection in to the tourism economy.

Greg is right on the money on this one. The politicians where trying to advance their political careers and it's come back to bite them in the ass. I have no doubt that Concord never intended to actually stop Bruton from building the dragstrip, they just wanted to give the impression that they care about the 20 people who whined about the noise.

Quote by Brent--------Concord never intended to actually stop Bruton from building the dragstrip, they just wanted to give the impression that they care about the 20 people who whined about the noise.

And there you have it.Nailed it.

I think someone was on vacation when the city council announced their
position opposing the drag strip. some dumbass, never held a job in the
private sector, politician led the charge on this, while his counterpart,
some retired executive was at his/her 2nd home in the bahamas, came home
to find out what had happened and quickly went to work on damage control.

Bruton would make one heck of a good poker player. Whether he's bluffing or not, he's playing with the best hand on this deal.

I guarantee you that ole' Bruton has no intention of closing that track and they should know that. However, they should also approve the drag strip project.

its a bluff that bit Bruton in a good way with all the new offers...... strip will be built.. but where and what else will be done..moving or not is yeat to be seen...

On a side note....

And i laughed my ass of at Brutons comment about the concern for local businesses...lol.. not gonna say what i know i will let some one else look into it.. but go by the Speedway.. and at the light at the top of the hill is a store and small shopping complex..... go find the owners of the property and ask them what they think of Bruton.....lol...

Oh he's definitly got the strip going some where soon... he's got crews tearing out the backstrait stands at Rockingham Speedway.. which he just sold.. that 20,000 seat grand stand is headed to the new strip.... was told by a worked tha as soon as it is all down they will start putting it right back up.. but they don't know where yet....

Billy

its a bluff that bit Bruton in a good way with all the new offers...... strip will be built.. but where and what else will be done..moving or not is yeat to be seen...

On a side note....

And i laughed my ass of at Brutons comment about the concern for local businesses...lol.. not gonna say what i know i will let some one else look into it.. but go by the Speedway.. and at the light at the top of the hill is a store and small shopping complex..... go find the owners of the property and ask them what they think of Bruton.....lol...

Oh he's definitly got the strip going some where soon... he's got crews tearing out the backstrait stands at Rockingham Speedway.. which he just sold.. that 20,000 seat grand stand is headed to the new strip.... was told by a worked tha as soon as it is all down they will start putting it right back up.. but they don't know where yet....

Billy

I'm not saying Bruton cares for local business, I am saying that his track being there brings a lot to the local businesses and that has a positive effect on the community.

i know.. i was just commenting on Brutons take of how HE cares for them.... no worries... i just thought it was funny...;)

no denying what he does impacts the surounding community or their busines'..

Billy

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back