Support the Charlotte Dragstrip! (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
Support the Charlotte Dragstrip!

There will be a special town council meeting, open to the public, regarding the new drag strip Bruton is building on Monday, October 1st at 5:30 pm at the Concord (NC) Municipal Building, 26 Union St. So., Concord, NC 28025

The public is invited to speak and I hope local racers and fans come out and show support.

From today's Charlotte Observer:

Charlotte Observer | 09/28/2007 | Fast track to court for drag strip?

Thanks,

if you don't have an area address don't expect to be allowed in or speak...

i understand some of the complaints... mainly the noise one... hard for Motels to keep guests with cars running at night..

but the one that throws me.. are the "FUMES"...lol...

Billy

if you don't have an area address don't expect to be allowed in or speak...

i understand some of the complaints... mainly the noise one... hard for Motels to keep guests with cars running at night..

but the one that throws me.. are the "FUMES"...lol...

Billy

That is probably so. However, showing up will have an impact. Fans and racers. Racer wearing their uniforms. Several pro teams are going.

When the message goes out for Englishtown's problems, the people are overflowing the building. It means a lot.

Dout it will effect this one... more to this one than is in the open...

i would keep an eye on David Poole... writes great stuff.. good and the bad ... he lets it all out.. to pleasure or the dismay of those affected.....no matter what side of the fence anyone is on....

Billy

i would keep an eye on David Poole... writes great stuff.. good and the bad ... he lets it all out.. to pleasure or the dismay of those affected.....no matter what side of the fence anyone is on....

Billy

hey BW, think they could lay down a slab of 132 for us?? lol :D

I already fired off an email this morning to the Concord City Council.

Explained to them the financial windfall they will receive beside the fact that the exposure for their area on a national level besides NASCRAP (didn't put that in the email) will be beneficial for the city.

It can't hurt for us to express our opinions to them and let them know that we are a factor. Look at what happened with Ashley F. in the voting for the AOL thing. The racing community blew everybody else out.

Somebody get "Beserko Bob" to take a jar of Nitro fumes to the meeting and let them smell those "fumes."

Last edited:
Bruton has added a lot of fuel to the fire. He is already grading the drag strip, was out there yesterday. It appears that the strip is well below grade. I also didn't realize there were houses so close to where the grading is taking place. What Concord polititicians are in a tizzy about, is that he is grading the site, before he even presented tha case to them, actually, judging by how far the work has progressed, even before he announced it. This is not the first time that Bruton has gone about doing what he wants and paying the consequences later. Much cheaper that way, I would expect.
Read David poole, if you can. For being in the heart of NASCAR, he does follow drag racing.
Art

This is not the first time that Bruton has gone about doing what he wants and paying the consequences later. Much cheaper that way, I would expect.
Art

As the old saying goes "Sometimes it is easier to beg forgiveness then ask for permission"

Billy

Won't hurt to try. Nothing has ever been accomplished with 'doubt it'.
Whereas much has been accomplished with moving ahead in spite of doubt.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Work continues at drag strip site.

Work continues at drag strip site
Firm has permission to do some grading but not for strip itself

SHARIF DURHAMS
[email protected]
CONCORD --

Who cares if Bruton Smith doesn't have the green light from officials to build a drag strip in Concord? One team is already making plans to race there.
At least one racing team has reserved hotel rooms in Concord for Sept. 11-14, 2008, betting that Lowe's Motor Speedway's new drag strip will be hosting a national drag racing event on those dates.

But Concord officials are still trying to decide whether Smith, the speedway's owner, should be allowed to build the $60 million facility.

City workers took pictures Friday of grading work being done on the planned site. Concord officials said they learned about the grading work when an Observer reporter told them about it Thursday.

The City Council called a special meeting for Monday after some residents charged that the drag strip would bring noise and polluting fumes to hundreds of nearby homes.

But Smith has already moved forward.

The National Hot Rod Association, the organization that sanctions the nation's top drag racing series, has an "inaugural" race event scheduled for Sept 11-14. The location is listed as to be announced.

Several sources have told the Observer, however, that the date is definitely being held for a Concord event. NHRA officials have visited to look at the grounds, and crews have marked off the site with stakes.

As of Friday, Speedway Motorsports still had not applied for city and county permits to start grading work on the drag strip, though it has permission to do grading for other purposes on the property, officials said.

But Smith said this week the construction work is for the drag strip. He said the facility could start hosting events in April.

For Monday's meeting, city staffers have drafted changes to an ordinance that would shut down work on the drag strip.

The ordinance allows Speedway Motorsports to build auto racing facilities on the property.

The proposed amendment would add the words "except dragstrips."

Smith blasted City Council members this week after learning about the proposal, saying he wished he had never had his speedway property annexed into Concord. The council ought to get on board with his project, Smith said.

City workers and council members said they've supported motorsports, but they want details about how engineers could design the drag strip to deaden noise.

Speedway Motorsports spokesman Jerry Gappens said the facility would work to reduce noise, but he did not provide details, saying he wanted city officials to hear them first.

Doug Stafford, managing partner of hotel management firm Griffin Stafford, said a drag racing team called this week to reserve a block of rooms.

"What they're doing is, they're hedging their bets so they're not left out on the street," said Stafford, whose Wingate Inn and Suburban Extended Stay hotels have a total of 194 rooms about a mile from the speedway.

Stafford, who used to work for Speedway Motorsports, said a drag strip would be good for business.

NHRA spokesman Jerry Archambeault said any guess that the organization is holding the open date for Concord would be speculation. But he said the organization has a strong relationship with Smith and his company.

The NHRA sanctions events at Speedway Motorsports-owned facilities at Bristol Motor Speedway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway and Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif.

"There's no doubt Bruton does a great job. He builds beautiful facilities for us," Archambeault said.

Staff writer David poole contributed.

To contact the city of Concord, NC, sited as "a city meeting the future" on their logo.

City of Concord

Physical Address:
26 Union St., South Concord, NC 28025

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 308 Concord, NC 28026-0308
Fax Number: (704) 786-7068

Annette Privette, Public Information Officer
(704) 920-5204
[email protected]

Keep it civil.... angry, malicious and mean spirited communication, will only further whatever prejudice (as in their proposed amendment stating 'except drag racing") they have against 'drag racing' .

Last edited:
this one is going to be fun to watch.....

No it is not against Drag racing persay...even though worded as such .....they are against Mr Smith and his busines practices... he's been allowed to do what ever he feels in the area.. and the new batch of city and area leaders have had enough... Bruton said himself in the article above... he wished he had never allowed the area to be annexed in.. well he allowed it because area leaders at the time were in his back pocket for what he needed at the time.. now those people are gone....and he as well as us the drag race fan are suffering...

with the noise.. they have a legit gripe.. the oval for all its testing and schools has a sound barrier.. the grandstands around it .. the drag strip will not.. and it does back right up to several houses and motels...

i'm not against what he is doing...just being realistic to the times and what all forms of motorsports have to deal with....

Most if not all towns love the idea of new tax revenue... but they don't want the additional problems that come with it...noise, crowds, trash, etc....

this could be great for drag racing growth if it is allowed to be be finished... but we have to wait and see....

Billy

Maybe a little background on this Concord deal. Charlotte Motor Speedway is physically located in Harrisburg. When Bruton built the Speedway Club, for the high rollers, Harrisburg was dry and he could not get a liquor license. As Concord was wet, annexation is an easy thing to accomplish here, he annexed the speedway grounds to the City of Concord to get his liquor permit. As far as I know, the speedwas grounds do not physically touch the Concord limits, but who really knows. The cities/towns down here, annex land that is unincorporated, but is tax producing.
An example. Bob lives maybe 5 miles down the road. he lives in Charlotte. I have a Charlotte mailing address, but live in an unincorporated area of Mecklenburg County. However, the zoning laws are the same as Mint Hill, the closest city, not the county. They will annex me soon, as they are building 100 or so houses down the road. Couldn't happen up North, but I am not there.
Art

So, Billy, the roundy round track generates no trash? We live about 8 miles away and sitting by the pool at night, we can hear the stock cars running. We can hear the dirt cars running. If we can, don't you think these houses and motels, which by the way, will probably be filled during NHRA week, can hear them also? The view from Richmond county must be really clear. LOL

David if you read what i said it was a generalization of the situation... for most areas... Not just Concord...

For all those that love the area (Concord) and what goes on in the surounding area.. many dont and never have...

the area around Lowes Motor Speedway has grown greatly due to the facility and its busness indevors and the comunity has profited great from it.. even though some narrow minded from the area believe it would have happened with out the Oval... those same people do not want more of what the already have... i know plenty of people from the area.. on both sides of the fence...i know a couple that work their ..but moved over an hour away to be away from the noise in the off time...lol.. which cracks me up they only get like 6 weekends off a year...lol

i spent over 10 years in oval racing... mostly short track dirt oval and asphalt.. and with the BUSCH Series....and drag racing selling race fuels.... when the Dirt oval was built it was allowed to operate only on certin weekends and and have only a certin amount of events...because of the potential noise.... i know we had a dirt latemodel at the time... and we looked forward to the dirt oval because we knew what it could be for the dirt oval racers in the area.... but we were disapointed when we heard it would be limited scheduling.... which sinse then it has changed greatly for what ever reason.... for the better of the local dirt racers

the Drag strip could do the same...not just for Concord.. but for drag strips across the carolinas and all the drag racers....

i know how the sound travels.. i grew up 8.6 miles form the oval and the strip here.. and we could here the Cup cars and we heard the TF cars at the strip even better....lol wished i lived closer so i could go catch more testing.....lol

Nosie is the biggest item that many people use to argue against the building or maintaining of a motorsports facility... not just the Concord situation... and as history has shown it is part of a winning arguement in most cases.. regretfully

hope fully things can be worked out ..but its gonna be a battle i believe...

Billy

Last edited:
like i said .. i understand the noise part of their arguement.. but the "FUMES" part is from left field.....lol

Billy

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back