Bruton Smith: "90% chance" he will move track out of Concord (1 Viewer)

I have a question for someone local who would know this:

If the construction had begun on the drag strip, that means a building permit had already been obtained from the municipality, correct? If the same municipality that issued the permit had a council vote to change the zoning disallowing his continuance, wouldn't he definitely have one heck of a case for suit against the municipality? I can understand his frustration and desire to move away from the buffoons completely.

Keep in mind, if he negotiates with the economic development of yet another municipality to erect his new facility there he can also negotiate tax breaks, incentives and fee structures that could greatly enhance the long term relationship with a new location. My clientèle do this day in and day out.

There's more to this than just throwing your weight around. Keep in mind that all the perks will accompany his new location plus the revenue from a major law suit for the council's mindless mistake which is all but a slam dunk.

Doc, I could be wrong, but I think I recall reading that he actually started the groundbreaking on his property but with no permit. Billy will probably know for sure.

There's more to this than just throwing your weight around. Keep in mind that all the perks will accompany his new location plus the revenue from a major law suit for the council's mindless mistake which is all but a slam dunk.

Oh no, it's not that it is good business decisions and the point that a bad "environment" may exist here.............Bruton is just a bully and likes to throw his weight around..........oh yea.........and start million dollar construction projects without prior approval :rolleyes:

In his interview on XM144 He said that they had already started "excavating and grading the sight" and it was mentioned that He didn't have a permit, I can't recall what His exact response was but He didn't seem to concerned about not posessing one, I think He said they were in the "process of obtaining all proper permits for building, wiring, plumbing ect". In fact He was somewhat arrogant in his response, kinda like...How dare you ask me that question. Also I've read that another city or suburb of Charlotte was willing to give SMI 400 acres to build on, which is pretty good incentive right there, plus tax incentives, utility breaks and all the perks. When I heard His interview I was thinking "hell yea, go get em' Bruton, the World needs another first class drag racing facility". One thing He did say was that He really liked the idea of building a new racetrack, I think he wants to build a monster, king kong racing facility unlike any other one and has outgrown the current one, LMS is a real nice racetrack but I think Bruton wants "THE" racetrack, and an airport too.

Oh no, it's not that it is good business decisions and the point that a bad "environment" may exist here.............Bruton is just a bully and likes to throw his weight around..........oh yea.........and start million dollar construction projects without prior approval :rolleyes:

Make that sixty million:)

I guarantee you that ole' Bruton has no intention of closing that track and they should know that. However, they should also approve the drag strip project.

It sounds like there is a VERY good chance that he will be moving the track. He might as well because if he was already planning on making improvements and adding a drag strip he might as well maximize his profits. He can get BIG tax breaks, a new circle track, a new drag strip and a LOT of publicity. Also I bet he will sell the old land for enough to buy the new land.

If the construction had begun on the drag strip, that means a building permit had already been obtained from the municipality, correct? If the same municipality that issued the permit had a council vote to change the zoning disallowing his continuance, wouldn't he definitely have one heck of a case for suit against the municipality? I can understand his frustration and desire to move away from the buffoons completely.
They didn't actually start construction, they started grading and were in the process of applying for the permits when the council struck. COncord knew what was going on and had already had conversations with Bruton about the new track. Concord claimed that SMS never provided the information they requested before the meeting where they rezoned the land.

I guarantee you that ole' Bruton has no intention of closing that track and they should know that. However, they should also approve the drag strip project.
Don't be so sure. There are quite a few towns that are putting together some pretty attractive packages to get him to move. He very likely could end up with free land and subsidized or at least very favorably financed construction costs if he moves. Plus of course he would build a top notch motorsports complex like no other current track. Also, keep in mind that the land LMS is on now should be worth around $30-50k per acre. I couldn't find the size of LMS anywhere, but I would guess that its at least 300 acres, which would put the value of the land at least at $10-15 million. I really hope he stays since the track is about a 15 minute drive right now, but it is not a slam dunk that he will stay. Concord is going to pay through the nose for their mistake if they manage to keep him.

Suposedly he started without a permit......but Bruton said he had a permits before grading...... but.. hasn't produced a copy of the paper work to the media...... so.. Who knows....

if it was me and i HAD a permit.. i would take out full page ads in the local paper to show it..... but thats just me...

look at all the reports.. one of the links posted has Brutons comments on having a permit before hand... after meeting with the city and showing them what he wanted to do...

it is what it is.... and there is so much more to this issue than what is printed... this whole deal is not about a drag strip.. drag racing is just taking the brunt of the attack.... IMO... which SUCKS...

Billy

Suposedly he started without a permit......but Bruton said he had a permits before grading...... but.. hasn't produced a copy of the paper work to the media...... so.. Who knows....

if it was me and i HAD a permit.. i would take out full page ads in the local paper to show it..... but thats just me...

look at all the reports.. one of the links posted has Brutons comments on having a permit before hand... after meeting with the city and showing them what he wanted to do...

it is what it is.... and there is so much more to this issue than what is printed... this whole deal is not about a drag strip.. drag racing is just taking the brunt of the attack.... IMO... which SUCKS...

Billy

I guess I am missing something here. I see this as a great thing for Drag Racing and for that matter ALL Racing. Bruton has the power and the $$$$ to make it happen and I hope he makes the best NHRA track yet and the best NASCAR facility on the same grounds. They will help all of us to have a better sport in the long run.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back