Future of Heartland Park (and KS Nationals) in jeopardy (1 Viewer)

LAst time i was at HPT(2008) the pedstrian bridges HAD 2 poles on each side(maybe 3-4 foot tall) so NO large vehicle COULD go over it! YEs they did have 'gold cart" traffic and was rather UNSAFE' for the pedistrians IF a golf car was ON the bridge at the same time!
Hoep this race PROVES it is worth the expense to KEEP(so long as there is track management that has MORE then a coupel races a year at the place)
My first trip to TRP was the grand opening in 1989,was PSB class a few years later!
AT that time the first 290 MPH was run by Gary Ormby, then in 1996 the FIST 4.50's By Amato and Blaine Johnsone, John Force same evening ran a 4.88 first flopper 4.80's!
The need to bring ehr back to the betetr days with a track that has the OLD TEETH!
Clipper

I'm staying at the track tonight, and I just went over and looked at the bridge and wow was that insane. The driver of that truck was very lucky he wasn't injured.

Last edited:
I'm staying at the track tonight, and I just went over and looked at the bridge and wow was that insane. The driver of that truck was very lucky he wasn't injured.

How's the weather out there Eugene? Deciding wether or not to make it out this weekend. It looks pretty grim :/

Topeka city workers carry out drag strip and fire hydrant repair at Heartland Park

As with all Topeka Capital-Journal articles; come for the story...stay for the comments

Registered member said:
City of Topeka employees have been repairing fire hydrants and cracks in the drag strip at Heartland Park Topeka as it prepares to host the NHRA’s 27th annual Kansas Nationals, which runs from Friday through Sunday, city officials said Tuesday.

“Heartland Park is still city-owned property and we have an obligation to ensure public safety,” said Doug Gerber, the city’s director of administrative and financial services.

Topeka’s governing body voted May 5 not to proceed with a financial arrangement that included the proposed buyout of Jayhawk Racing LLC’s more than $2 million in reversionary interest in the Heartland Park track. City attorney Chad Sublet said the city owns Heartland Park but isn’t capable of selling it because it is “mortgaged up.”

An average of six employees of the city’s street department recently spent three days doing crack sealing and crack repair work on Heartland Park’s drag strip, said Doug Whitacre, the city’s public works director.

“There were some major cracks we had to repair, but the rest we sealed with liquid tar,” he said.

Whitacre said the repairs were carried out primarily to ensure the safety of participants and spectators.

The work was done just to get the track through this week and isn’t intended to be permanent, Whitacre said.

No material cost estimates for the repairs were available Tuesday.

The city’s water department has worked the past several days on two broken fire hydrants and two broken water valves at Heartland Park, said Doug Gerber, the city’s administrative and financial services director.

He said the city wanted to ensure Heartland Park maintained a functional water system that could provide adequate fire protection for the NHRA event.

The water system work, including the full replacement of both fire hydrants, cost $4,450 in materials, Gerber said.

He indicated a wooden pedestrian bridge at Heartland Park collapsed Tuesday morning under the weight of a city-owned, 1-ton dump truck, which was carrying a load of dirt as part of efforts to ensure the water system worked properly. No one was injured.

A seven-member Shawnee County Jail work crew spent five days mowing and trimming the grass areas around Heartland Park’s grandstand, according to Gerber. He said the service came at no additional cost to the city because it already contracts with the Shawnee County Department of Corrections for use of the jail crew.

The Kansas Turnpike Authority mowed large lots at Heartland Park estimated to encompass about 200 acres, Gerber said.

Soooo . . . was the plan for city employee to dump topsoil from the bridge onto the track to fill cracks? - ;) Disclaimer: I have no idea where the bridge is (was) - this is a joke! That having been said, this sounds pretty scary unless city employees have experience in repairing a drag strip. Cold patch and a plate compactor probably ain't gonna work.

I'm still here contemplating coming out, when you read "major cracks in the racing surface" you just have to wonder what the hell is going on over there. This quite possibly will be the 'Nightmare Nationals'

They let you back in the country? ;)

Hope you can make it out West at some point.

Your country just seems to love me haha. This time I was in and out in two minutes tops. Would love to see you buddy, but the closest west I'm getting is probably LA and that isn't 110% certain. I'm meant to be heading out to Dallas tomorrow to meet Greg and head down with Lori and Sarah to Topeka, but this weather and talk of track repairs is very off putting.

Soooo . . . was the plan for city employee to dump topsoil from the bridge onto the track to fill cracks? - ;) Disclaimer: I have no idea where the bridge is (was) - this is a joke! That having been said, this sounds pretty scary unless city employees have experience in repairing a drag strip. Cold patch and a plate compactor probably ain't gonna work.
The bridge is to the east of the tower and it spans a section of the road course. It is part of the walkway between the west side grand stands and the east side grandstands and pits. It was never meant to handle anything other than pedestrian and/or golf cart traffic. 4 or 5 tons on the rear axle of a full sized truck would have likely damaged it even when the bridge was brand new. I'd like to know who told the dump truck driver that it would be okay for him to drive over that bridge, if in fact someone actually told him that!

The dirt in the dump truck was not for use on the racing surface. It was to be used to fill holes that had been dug to check out sections of the water main lines on the property.

Stars of NHRA rooting for Heartland Park survival

Registered member said:
Every racer in the National Hot Rod Association’s premier Mello Yello Drag Racing Series is aware of the dire situation facing Heartland Park Topeka and realizes this could be the final visit to a track that has produced some of the biggest accomplishments in the sport’s history.

HPT has been closed through the early portion of the 2015 season and after a proposed deal for the city of Topeka to purchase the track recently fell through, the facility could be headed for permanent closure after this weekend’s Kansas Nationals, which are being run by the NHRA.

To a driver, the NHRA stars enter this weekend hoping against hope that there is a future for the facility, which hosts its 32nd national event this Friday through Sunday.

“No. 1, I love racing,” said drag racing legend John Force, who has a track-record nine Funny Car victories at HPT. “I would race every weekend if I could. It’s just what I do. I love it and I hate the thought of ever losing Topeka. I believe that somebody will put (a deal) together. It’s too valuable of an entertainment spot and it’s right in the middle of the country.

“We can’t lose a key marketplace like Topeka. Somebody’s got to go to work and they’ve got to fix this thing.”

Force, the winningest driver in NHRA history, said some people may not realize how valuable HPT is to the community and the city’s economy.

“We’re coming in there and we’ll rock and roll in the town and we’ll bring money into the city,” he said. “That’s what it’s all about, to put on a show for the fans and entertain them, but also to bring revenue back into that marketplace — to the hotels, to the eateries. It’s a loss for everybody if we lose it and I just can’t believe that we will.”

Funny Car veteran Ron Capps, who has won three times in Topeka, echoed Force’s thoughts.

“It would be a travesty,” Capps said. “I tell some of these guys who came into the sport later on that when that place was built and we held two races there, every national record, every speed and ET (elapsed time) record was broken and re-broken every time we showed up there. That’s how good that track is and how much history there is there.”

Capps added that Topeka has always been one of his favorite stops on the Mello Yello circuit because of the way the series was treated by fans, restaurants, hotels etc.

“When we come to town it’s always felt like there was a Super Bowl going on and I’ve always loved that about that place,” Capps said. “Every time I read about what’s been going on it breaks my heart so I’m hoping that somehow, some way they can figure it out. I hope somehow it gets resolved.”

Three-time world Top Fuel champion and two-time Topeka winner Larry Dixon recalls the first time he visited the track.

“I’m probably showing my age, but the first time we rolled in there you have all this flat ground that you’ve been driving miles and miles and miles of and then you roll up on this track and the facility is beautiful,” Dixon said. “There’s a lot of great memories for me going there and not just as a competitor, because we’ve won there a few times, but as a fan of the sport.

“I’ve seen a lot of racetracks go and you hate to see them close up because the chances of re-opening, it makes it more difficult as time goes on. You hope it doesn’t happen. You hope somebody comes in that has a business plan and a model to make it make sense for somebody to take it over. It’s a great facility, it just needs to be used. It can’t sit and hopefully (a deal) will happen and we’ll keep coming back. If it doesn’t I definitely have some great memories from there.”

Four-time world Pro Stock champion Greg Anderson, a four-time winner at HPT, has been coming to the track since it opened in 1989, first as a crew member/crew chief for Warren Johnson and then as a driver.

“We’ve had a lot of great times at that racetrack and a lot of fun at that racetrack,” Anderson said. “I remember when it first opened up it was the coolest place I had seen. It’s a great Midwestern track. I grew up in the Midwest (Duluth, Minn.) and it was right up my alley.

“I’ve liked going to that track ever since we’ve had it and have had a lot of great memories there and I hate for it to end.”

In fact, Anderson is convinced there is a future for HPT.

“I personally believe something’s going to happen,” Anderson said. “Everything you think about and hear about and talk about seems gloomy towards the future, but you know what, we keep banging back. We keep bouncing back and things happen and things don’t seem to die.

“I’m not giving up. I believe we’re going to be back there going as strong as ever.”

Here's one of many reasons why HPT should stay open for many years to come. Records set in every Pro category this happens just about every year. Not sure about Sportsman but almost a guarantee there will be great racing and I hope there be good fan attendance despite all thats been going on lately. Pray someone will come in and save this great facility.

Attendance seemed really good Friday and Saturday, especially considering the weather forecast and all the legal issues that surround HPT. Funny car really put on a show Saturday with four 3 second runs. Then, as predicted, the rains came and washed away Q4.

If I were to buy that facility (yeah, right), I'd turn the track around and make it run south to north. Put the staging lanes where the the sand trap currently is and demolish the current timing tower and build a new one on the south end. That way the bleachers can run parallel to the track and the pro pits will be right behind the bleachers. The way it's set up right now is hideous. JMHO

If I were to buy that facility (yeah, right), I'd turn the track around and make it run south to north. Put the staging lanes where the the sand trap currently is and demolish the current timing tower and build a new one on the south end. That way the bleachers can run parallel to the track and the pro pits will be right behind the bleachers. The way it's set up right now is hideous. JMHO
When the track was being designed they were thinking on making track run South to North but it interfere with Forbes air base when planes approaching runway.
With all the tracks closing like KCIR we are just thankful for having a place to race no matter how its configured.

Don't know how land based race cars would interfere with an air base, but thanks for the info. I didn't know that.

aren't there issues with Bracket in Pomona now? they are saying that's why the top end grandstands are closed.

Airfield? Might be that it looks too much like a runway? Not sure if anyone has heard, but more than once in the last couple of years, large passenger jets have landed at the wrong airports. Kind of scary when they have all those electronics, radar, control tower communications, and modern jets still find a way to put their wheels down on the wrong piece of tarmac.

Last edited:
aren't there issues with Bracket in Pomona now? they are saying that's why the top end grandstands are closed.

I think it's been discussed. I know that sometime in the 80's they started dropping the score (timing) boards at half-mast and would close the last grand stand until later in the weekend, then the boards would go back up and the grandstand would open. It never seemed to be the same from race to race. A few folks are rather sure it's done now to squeeze the fans in to look good on TV and be able to claim that it's been sold out. Who knows. Someone could call Bracket and straight-up ask. Perhaps someone with press credentials asking for an official statement? Grassy Knoll/Grey Alien types want to know....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back