Politics forum (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
I think the politics forum needs to be wide open instead if by request only, so if a thread gets heated and moved out of NHRA, for instance, people can go there without requesting access. Keeps NHRA "clean" and allows people spirited debate, or name calling as it were.

I think there was some lessons that were learned during the ole Mater lounge days.
I think the board is "set-up" the best it has ever been right now.
My vote No Change...

I think there was some lessons that were learned during the ole Mater lounge days.
I think the board is "set-up" the best it has ever been right now.
My vote No Change...

My point is that people complain if a thread is moved and they can't access it anymore. That engenders another form of hostility, usually towards the moderators, who don't deserve that

best thing ever happen to this board is when they ditched the politics, or at least put it out of sight. I'll never understand the purpose of coming to a drag racing message board to state your political opinions. 10 billion political forums on the net and a drag racing board is where u wanna get your political rants off your chest, sheesh!

best thing ever happen to this board is when they ditched the politics, or at least put it out of sight. I'll never understand the purpose of coming to a drag racing message board to state your political opinions. 10 billion political forums on the net and a drag racing board is where u wanna get your political rants off your chest, sheesh!

I agree. In this venue, NOTHING good can come from it. Only hard feelings and reduced member participation.

I agree with what people are saying. I don't like politics here, either. But people post that stuff anyway and then the thread gets out of hand, forcing moderators to lock it. I say have the politics forum open and immediately move any political thread there.

Who has done more, top to bottom, for drag racing? Lucas. Like it or not Nitro Mater is a form of media. Once the attack on Mrs. Lucas was allowed, the thread should have never been locked. I could see it being removed completely, but not locked. By locking the thread, you have become just like the main stream media. "My way or no way" and "PC".

although this is a private forum its called 1st amendment, and plenty of politics involving the NHRA suits
are u kidding CA is the biggest liberal state where the suits live

The 1st Amendment does not cover web sites. You have to agree to abide by the rules set down by the moderators. If they don't want discussion of politics, you can't complain about it. Well, you can complain, but it's silly to try.
But, nobody is taking away your 1st Amendment rights.

The 1st Amendment does not cover web sites. You have to agree to abide by the rules set down by the moderators. If they don't want discussion of politics, you can't complain about it. Well, you can complain, but it's silly to try.
But, nobody is taking away your 1st Amendment rights.
I believe the rules are set by the owner of the web site and the moderators are the enforcers of those rules. If they do not want politics that is fine. But why let a political thread go for a few days? Remove it at once, do not let it go. May be they did not like the Lucas supporters posting, so they locked it.

i think it's great when threads get out of hand politically; even in the nhra forum.....so what! it reveals character or lack thereof.
there are statements made here to the left and rite of center that are logical and at the very least are worthy of reading.
there are also ridiculous statements made here to the left and rite of center that provide endless humor :D
the name calling is childish, but i suppose to be expected in anonymous forums.

I've never seen a political forum that functions unless acceptance reigns. There are always loud mouths who can not converse or accept someone elses view without insults, and that generally ruins it or everyone. There are one or two here, as in every forum.
I think those forums should exist and be moderated elsewhere.

Not sure who or why closed it. I had missed the last several post before the close. I had been monitoring it through most of it's life though and even responded to it.

It was political BUT it was starting by a major drag racing personality that could have had ramifications that rippled down to our sport. Very much borderline as it could have gone either way. I suppose by now, everybody should have had their say which is usually when 1 of three things happens. 1) it dies 2) the great rehashing of all things already said or 3) (the most likely) It becomes a pissing contest of why my idea is better than thous.

Not sure who closed it but it was probably the right move. Damn NHRA for having a month break between races right now :)

although this is a private forum its called 1st amendment, and plenty of politics involving the NHRA suits
are u kidding CA is the biggest liberal state where the suits live

Once again, the 1st Amendment ONLY protects your speech from the Federal Government. Contrary to very popular belief, the 1st Amendment does not mean you can say whatever you want whenever you want.

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. I

I am well aware what the 1st Amendment says. That amendment does not extend to what we post on this board, what I say at work/in public or what you say on the mic at the events you do. Next event you are on the mic announce that you think <cause du jour> is an abomination and any who supports it should be <whatever action you deem necessary>, then cover yourself in the American flag and claim 1st Amendment rights and let us know how that works out for you. The Supreme Court has routinely upheld non-state based censorship for years and years. Now if the Federal Government throws you in jail because of what you say on the mic, then you have got a very strong case and lawyers will be lined up around the block to represent you. Otherwise, you are on your own.

Free speech has ALWAYS been intended to be self-policing of and by the people, without interference from the Government. For the most part, I think it is. If you say something in public, whether it is a popular or not, be prepared for the ramifications and understand that people can and usually will respond in kind. This is where people usually get crossed up. They say something, there is backlash and then they try to say they were just exercising their rights ... well, no you weren't in the technical sense (unless it is the Federal Government taking you to task for your speech).

I have taken the long road to say that we are indeed free to say whatever we want, whether others like it or not ... and they are free to respond however they want whether we like it or not. It has nothing to do with 1st Amendment protection UNLESS the Feds get involved, the 1st Amendment only protects us from the government, not from each other.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back