Olsen wants 90% in '08 (1 Viewer)

Unbelieveable! His major crucade in saving these guys $$$ last season was the move to 90%. And now it's '08??? What a Bureaucratic mess NHRA has become!:confused:

Joe, I can imagine there is a lot of things they have to work out before enacting a new/old rule. One is getting the suits to agree with him.

90% COOL BEANS!!! Can't wait to hear the popping and banging. Too bad not this year. Haven't been there to know, does the valley amplify the sounds at Bristol?

Lee
Nitroclovers

Joe, I can imagine there is a lot of things they have to work out before enacting a new/old rule. One is getting the suits to agree with him.

Samuel, NHRA made the change to 85% in one race after the Darryl Russell Tragedy, it didn't take an entire year! Why does it take a whole year to jump back to 90%? I guess Dan Olson has as much imput as Ray Alley didn't...

I don't think we'll ever see 98% again (the other 2% was just a stabilizer I believe) because if they did allow it, racers all over would be "pulling a Doug Herbert." (Sorry about that, Doug)

With six races in a row, teams don't have time to test a new combination and throwing in a new fuel combination just in time for the countdown would make it a real "rock, scissors, paper" game.

If you were a crew chief, on a team other than one which had the funding, welcome developing a new tune-up in the middle of the season? I suggest making the rule effective Pomona 1 '08. Larry's right on...

The teams are having to run more blower and compression at 85% which is killing crankshafts and everything else. 90% will mean cutting back on both and saving a ton of money.

I think they have figured out how to run as much nitro through the motors as they did in 90% days except the 15% of alky they are required to run is in the way.

With 85% crankshafts are lasting no more than 3-4 runs for most teams. If I order one from Sonny Bryant right now I would be lucky to see it in September and they are about $3,500 each. I just got the word that Gates Belts are 6 weeks out for 8MM and no one has any (RCD, Littlefield, etc.). Because of overdrive and higher cylinder pressure the belts are taking a beating. Taking a look at the slo-mo's on ESPN2 it looks like the TF cars throw a belt off almost every run. Sooner or later someone is going to run out. It's not uncommon to see 8 rods and pistons in the trash after one TF run, either. The suppliers are having a hard time keeping up with parts orders and these parts are extremely expensive. Throw in a 6 week string of events along with the IHRA schedule and the suppliers are overwhelmed.

I know it's hard to believe, but 85% is killing a lot of teams. Their dream come true would be a return to 90%.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

It's just like when TA/FC was changed from 125% overdrive to 92% overdrive. It was supposed to save us money because it dropped the boost, but in the long (and short) run it's cost a ton of money. Now a perfect blower is very critical. High RPM's are a must. Valve train is taking a tremendous beating. Diverters in the injector, coated rotors, etc., etc. Our dream come true would be a return to 125% overdrive.

RG

Last edited:
Did the NHRA give the teams more blower overdrive after making them go to 85%? And if so, will they take it away if the go back to 90%?

With six races in a row, teams don't have time to test a new combination and throwing in a new fuel combination just in time for the countdown would make it a real "rock, scissors, paper" game.
Hi Larry,

They will be, or can, run 90% this weekend at Bandimere. This is right in the middle of the 6-race marathon. Why not for the rest of the season? Seems to me the tuners could adjust very quickly to 90% at non-altitude tracks if they can adjust to 90% at an altitude track for just one event...

See ya in Grand Bend (if Canada will let me in!) :)

I don't think we'll ever see 98% again (the other 2% was just a stabilizer I believe) because if they did allow it, racers all over would be "pulling a Doug Herbert." (Sorry about that, Doug)

There wasn't any stabilizers added to Nitro , 100% has other trace chemicals in it from the manufacturing process. In the days of one vendor (before Grace & Chinese) !00% had around 4% other chemicals. The first Chinese was very poor qualitly, some batches I had tested were only 93% pure with 3% water. Grace built a new plant with one more distilling level than Angus, that raised their purity to over 98%. Angus then raised their's to over 99%. Now the Chinese also are making high quality product.

Doug's bomb came from ignition failure (the 44amp mags were new) . People ran 100% for many years before ,and after Doug's one of a kind blast.

Lab testing by Angus and others showed that after 94% Nitro becomes much easier to suffer compression ignition (hydraulic is a slang term). Thats why NHRA went to 90% instead of 95%.

Unbelieveable! His major crucade in saving these guys $$$ last season was the move to 90%. And now it's '08??? What a Bureaucratic mess NHRA has become!:confused:

Maybe they are saving money running the parts and combination they have instead of changing a bunch of gear in a moments notice (fire drill) also causing shortages of parts to the lower funded teams. (large orders 1st)

NHRA has always made last minute rule changes in regards to equipment(tires, blowers, gear ratio's), not giving anyone a chance to R&D next seasons gear (or the next combination to go down the track).... this gives many a running start at 2008 from right now ....

testing later in the year could have 90% in the tank???? at a track near you???? will see .....

I don't see what the big deal is...change it to 90% max and the teams that want to stay at 85% can do so if they choose.

Joe,
Dan Olson has had extensive discussions with most of the front line crew chiefs on the switch back to 90%. Although the change to 85% was implemented "overnight" that was a knee jerk reaction to the situation at the time. In the ensuing period the teams have changed a lot of components to compensate for the lesser percentage and going back to more latent heat as in 90% will require several component changes. With the current shortage of hard parts and the lead time for the teams to restock their inventory waiting until 08 sounds like a good plan.
I was talking to one of the leading F/C crew cheifs last night and he said that the 85% rule is costing all of the teams a huge amount of money as component life (crank, rods and pistons) is dismal at this time.

Roo

About time! Those things sound so damn neutered it's pathetic and the poor engine parts are being beaten to death. Hearing the A/fuelers again this weekend makes me realize how good a nitro motor can sound.

Joe,
Dan Olson has had extensive discussions with most of the front line crew chiefs on the switch back to 90%. Although the change to 85% was implemented "overnight" that was a knee jerk reaction to the situation at the time. In the ensuing period the teams have changed a lot of components to compensate for the lesser percentage and going back to more latent heat as in 90% will require several component changes. With the current shortage of hard parts and the lead time for the teams to restock their inventory waiting until 08 sounds like a good plan.
I was talking to one of the leading F/C crew cheifs last night and he said that the 85% rule is costing all of the teams a huge amount of money as component life (crank, rods and pistons) is dismal at this time.

Roo

Knee jerk reaction? NHRA doesn't make knee jerk reactions :rolleyes: Just ask the Buell teams :p

About time! Those things sound so damn neutered it's pathetic and the poor engine parts are being beaten to death. Hearing the A/fuelers again this weekend makes me realize how good a nitro motor can sound.

You should check out a Nostalgia FC race near you. Just like the good ol' days.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back