OH PJ....countdown changes! (1 Viewer)

So when this year doesn't turn out the way they want, there will be more changes, then the year after that,

10 years from now when someone talks abotu past champs we'll have to try to figure out which year's rules were in play. or much like the now steroid era in baseball is this now the dark ages of drag racing otherwise known as the countdown era.

If they are not going to make it a true playoff then why bother. I don't think any type of contrived BS system is needed. The season best should be the best. But I realize some teams can't hang and need some help, some fans can't pay attention long enough and need fake drama, I get that and if it truely did bring more sponsors in and ratings then I could accept the new fakeness of the championships but at least have the flippin playoff teams actually compete against each other. It would help add some legitimacy to this fiasco

If this were MLB, NFL, or any other major sport on the NHRA model it would mean that 62.5% of the field is in the playoffs. In the 2007 NFL version that would mean losing records Chicago, Detroit, and Carolina would all make the playoffs (*not accounting for conferences just Top 20 records overall.)

I know that the 16 fastest on RACEDAY don't make up everybody in a particular class. But over half a field qualifies for the championship.

Still, there is such a huge gap between the 1st place guy and 10th place guy on a historical basis with the NHRA. Logic would say that this 10 racer rule would always weed out say 7th thru 10th based on performance after INDY. But, there is going to be that one time when somebody shocks the drag racing world.

You know I say all this to make a silly point I guess. I like the system. And think it's much better. I guess this is only my 1 mini complaint.

So when this year doesn't turn out the way they want, there will be more changes, then the year after that,

10 years from now when someone talks abotu past champs we'll have to try to figure out which year's rules were in play. or much like the now steroid era in baseball is this now the dark ages of drag racing otherwise known as the countdown era.

If they are not going to make it a true playoff then why bother. I don't think any type of contrived BS system is needed. The season best should be the best. But I realize some teams can't hang and need some help, some fans can't pay attention long enough and need fake drama, I get that and if it truely did bring more sponsors in and ratings then I could accept the new fakeness of the championships but at least have the flippin playoff teams actually compete against each other. It would help add some legitimacy to this fiasco

How about this? Ten years from now whoever's in charge gets the idea to go back to the exact same system that most of us prefer but, it'll have a new catchy (tacky! LOL) name! They can tout their "new and improved" system while downplaying that it's what they used to have!

This is going to be like the Coca Cola merry-go-round. New Countdown. Old Countdown. The Classic System. :)

How about this? Ten years from now whoever's in charge gets the idea to go back to the exact same system that most of us prefer but, it'll have a new catchy (tacky! LOL) name! They can tout their "new and improved" system while downplaying that it's what they used to have!

This is going to be like the Coca Cola merry-go-round. New Countdown. Old Countdown. The Classic System. :)

If it means there's still a Coke Product at the top of the ledger, I'm in.:)

Only drink Coke if it has Bourbon in it, just like RC with Peanuts, and my Pepsi neat... first two need Something to kill the taste

d'kid

But if they changed their minds about the Top Ten Prize money, let's say:
1st 1,000,000
2nd 500,000
3rd 250,000
4th 250,000
5th-8th 150,000
9th/10th 100,000

I might think about drinkin Coke... (can't find PowerAde in any store I go in)

Only drink Coke if it has Bourbon in it, just like RC with Peanuts, and my Pepsi neat... first two need Something to kill the taste

d'kid

1st 1,000,000
2nd 500,000
3rd 250,000
4th 250,000
5th-8th 150,000
9th/10th 100,000

Aw man! Haven't had an RC or Pepsi with peanuts in it in forever.

By Coke, I meant a big name sponsor up top. For me though, it's always been Sun Drop, and a few incidents with Southern Comfort on the rocks. :confused::confused:

d'kid

1st 1,000,000
2nd 500,000
3rd 250,000
4th 250,000
5th-8th 150,000
9th/10th 100,000

Now THAT is a good payout system, and it makes sense. Which means the NHRA would never adopt it.

By Coke, I meant a big name sponsor up top. For me though, it's always been Sun Drop, and a few incidents with Southern Comfort on the rocks. :confused::confused:

Only drink Comfort 'Pearl' Style...straight from the bottle at room temperature.

But, Like I said all last season (getting back to the subject at hand) I really don't care who wins the championship or how they count points. Drag Racing is exciting in and by itself. This years change makes more sense than last year, and seems 'fairer' to the teams for their year end bonus.

From my seat in the stands, any of a dozen teams could 'win it all' and I'd be happy... I just wish they'd get paid what it's worth...

d'kid

gee Mike, I thought it was 2 oz with a twist of lemon and a XX backer...
(don't mix with anything unless it rot-gut)... but I prefer TaTToo....

d'kid

Jim,
Just trying to Kill the taste of cola, but only use 'cheap' Bourbon to do it....
The good stuff is always Neat...
Old Crow fer parts cleaning, Booker or Makers fer sippin'

d'kid

You had me worried for a minute.

Just don't get the parts cleaner and the Bookers mixed up.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back