OH PJ....countdown changes! (2 Viewers)

"designed to build upon the excitement and success generated from last year's inaugural season"

Give me a break, get rid of it. Lipstick on a pig!

Even though I hate the countdown in any way, shape, or form atleast this one is alot better than the welfare system they had.

A much marked improvement...

Indy as the regular Season's end is good
Only One Beheading good
20 extra to the first 2/3's winner good
Top Ten in good
being able to go to 2 of the final 7 races... priceless

Now, all we need is...

MORE $$$$$$$$$$$

sorry

PJ... the Floor is yours

And Thanks for the Hook up on the link Mike... I was just at NHRA.com and didn't see it... have Fun in Orlando, say hi to the Mouse for me...

D'kid

I'd rather not have a countdown, however...this is a change for the better over last year.

I'd rather not have a countdown, however...this is a change for the better over last year.

What he said ^^^^^

Gee, do you think NHRA might have seen some of the comments and suggestions that we had posted?????? Nahhhhhhhh couldn't be....:rolleyes:

I guess if we are going to have the welfare system, this is about the best we could hope for......

What he said ^^^^^

Gee, do you think NHRA might have seen some of the comments and suggestions that we had posted?????? Nahhhhhhhh couldn't be....:rolleyes:

I guess if we are going to have the welfare system, this is about the best we could hope for......

Who will be the first to recalculate the 2007 event results using the 2008 format to see how the final standings would have changed?

Registered member said:
"designed to build upon the excitement and success generated from last year's inaugural season"

Sorry Tom, but what world do you live in? :rolleyes:

I wonder why they moved Pomona2?

I wondered what the racers et al, thought about having Vegas2 and Pomona2 on back-to-back weekends.

I figured when they announced the welfare system, that we'd be stuck with it for at least three years. There's no way with the egos of Compton & Light that they'd get rid of it after one year. It's better than last year but only in a relative sense (let's face it after last year, could the points system have gotten any worse?) The biggest pile of crap was Compton saying we took into consideration the feedback of the fans, if he was so concerned about the fan's take on the countdown why wasn't there a poll on NHRA.com? The DRO polls I saw which may have more hard core fans said that 80% of the people who voted didn't like the countdown, I'll admit those numbers are probably a little high, but the message was loud and clear. Where are all the big non-traditional sponsors that countdown was supposed to attract? In another thread it said there was going to be about 12 or 13 regular cars at every race, so that pretty much means were going to spend the first 18 races eliminating three cars, that reminds me of the NHL regular season 20 years ago where they would play 80 games and as long as you didn't finish in last place you made the playoffs. I watch the races on ESPN classic and they are only about 2 or 3 years old, and I think of how much more enjoyable those were to watch with Marty Reid and the old points system.

imo- it still stinks! last year we had a car with the most points, most wins and most dominant car that did not win the championship. adding 2 cars to the countdown wont fix it. paging p.j! :D

Who will be the first to recalculate the 2007 event results using the 2008 format to see how the final standings would have changed?

I know off the top of my head that with an extra 20 point regular season bonus Rod Fuller would have won Top Fuel, and Matt Smith would have locked up the bike title in the semi finals instead of the final round.

Oddly enough, a lot of the changes look like suggestions that were bounced around here....;)

Good to know that Big Brother IS watching and listening...:D

I'm sorry but based on last year this makes a lot more sense! Atleast now #9 & 10 will get some sort of compensation other than the awards show moments. It's always been the Top 10 anyway. This would have to help some with the TV exposure right?

Are we looking for positives from this? If so, I'll throw one in:
At least, under the new system, one single round of racing will not determine the overall winner like happened in Vegas last year when three of the four finalists hick-upped and lost all hope.

Bobby...one single round loss of racing did not decide the 2007 F/C champion.
Those cars did not perform as well as Tony P and he is the 2007 Champ and he earned it on his own. Hight had a chance but did not seal the deal..
Hired drivers do not impress me as much as grass roots owners who do well..

Although I am not in favor of a "playoff" format, this one makes a lot more sense than last-year's crapshoot and addresses most of the seriously unfair elements - top ten, only one cutoff, and leading the points during the regular season is worth a one-round bonus when the second phase begins. I'd suggest sending everyone else home for the final phase - making it a true "playoff" - but the Torco pullback may take care of that anyway.:D:D

I support this system just like I supported the last system. I do think this new system will allow for at least one mulligan in the Countdown to 1 which I think is a good thing.

I FREAKIN' LOVE IT! As usual, I'm happy with a compromise. :)

My problem was always about the cut-down to 4 drivers with only 2 races left. I'm grateful for the change.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back