NHRA Official Qualifying Changes (1 Viewer)

Why don't the moderators just rename this site from nitromater.com to bashnhra.com?

All you keyboard critics ought to just go out and start your own drag racing series and see how you fare?

I find myself visiting this site less and less for the simple reason that most of what is posted here is NHRA bashing.

so, we can still have a bump-a-thon on satursdays... or, if the conditions a poo, 13-16 are open season, because 13 to 16 times from friday are thrown out? and if ya can run better than anyone on friday night's time, you bump into the field accordingly...

Say 16th ran a 4.785, 15th ran 4.783, 14 ran 4.776, 13 ran 4.764 on friday night, saturday, the best 4 are 4.85 to 4.83... and 13 tru 16 can only run high 80's, so they get bumped????

just using flopper as an example...

d'kid

sounds exactly right to me and I think it's fab. totally.

Reason #1 why they should have a constant scoreboard at the events showing all qualifying positions real time and where they stand.

It's already confusing enough as it is for newcomers to try and keep track on who's in and who's out. A scoreboard would be a welcome addition.
I suppose. Drag racing is no where near as simple as the uninitiated would think. DO think. But where is this huge dangerous scoreboard going to go?

I think the complexity of it makes it all the more interesting.

Scott....

Please see this link for those who share your frustration...I believe there is gonna be a support group after the season starts up...;)

NHRA points System Petition

:cool:

We all know how well the petition worked.
1204.gif

All you keyboard critics ought to just go out and start your own drag racing series and see how you fare?

I was thinking the same thing. The NHRA can do no right in some peoples eyes, boo hoo the countdown sucks and the new qualifying is horrible
014.gif
. Clearly there was a problem with the old system with qualifying coming down to one shot in most of the summer races. The NHRA has done something to help fix that problem and actually make Saturday's qualifying mean something to the race and I applaud them in their efforts.
604.gif

I really don't care about specifics, as long as it eliminates the Tiresmoke Fests that a lot of Saturday sessions have become...:confused:

But it won't do that, if its hot, humid and the track is greasy on Saturday, this new "format" isn't going to cure that and the crew chiefs are still going to run the cars on the edge so they can have a baseline for race day. This is going to be as confusing to the casual/new fan as the super classes.

S/F
p.s. I'll hit the post office Saturday

Last edited:
Hey, somebod's thinking OUTSIDE the envelope!

Neat!

Nuthin wrong with a little drama- after all, Pro DragRacing IS show biz- so far without the elephants!

Why don't the moderators just rename this site from nitromater.com to bashnhra.com?

I find myself visiting this site less and less for the simple reason that most of what is posted here is NHRA bashing.

this is a discussion board about the NHRA and we are discussing a change the NHRA is proposing about how racers are going to qualify for a race. Several of us aren't exactly happy with what is proposed and are voicing our opinions about it (freedom of speech and all that). There have been postings on this thread that are positive about the changes as well.

If you aren't happy with the content that is posted here, then start your own message board where you can sing praises to the NHRA all day long.

Ok so 1-12 on Friday qualifying have a for sure spot for Sunday...
Everyone in 13th spot on has their times erased...

Saturday everyone but 1-12 battle out for 13-16 spot..

I can see pros and cons to this...Friday will be interesting because its just like before...everyone fighting for a spot...

How boring it might be for Saturday qualifying if 12 cars decide, aw the hell with it we are already guranteed a spot lets not make a pass (and with money being tight in a lot of camps i see this happening)...

We'll assume that the field is pretty close on Friday night..this could come to bite a bunch of people in the ass like already mentioned (13-16)...

Then again, it gives 4 people a chance to get in on a different day BUT somedays Saturday qualifying changed everything around and made the show that much better so its not going to be any easier coming out Saturday to fight for 4 spots when you came out on Friday trying to fight for 16 spots and couldnt get in the top 12. hmmm..

This is the way I understood it, correct me if Im wrong and I probably am!:rolleyes:

Okay, on second reading and ignoring some of the wishy-washy language, here's what I think will happen:

After Friday qualifying is completed, the top twelve will keep their times and the rest will have their times erased. Saturday qualifying will requalify those who are not in the top twelve - and anyone can still move into the top twelve if they can run a number good enough to do so.

That would be the simplest way to implement the new procedure, which means it's probably wrong, but I hope not because I've got to translate this into software that matches whatever NHRA implements.

Surely this still doesn't address the importance of Friday quals. I though this was to take the pressure off of needing to do a good run in the primo night conditions. I guess I have missed the point?

Tell me how this will eliminate the smokefest?? It will allow or could allow someone to qualify even with a horribly slow time during the smokefest but this really hasn't done anything to address track conditions, the time of day qualifying is run or the weather. I still don't see a reason why I should risk buying Saturday tickets anymore. Right now all I see is that I may be able to see a guy go 700ft smoke em shut it off run 6.53 and quailfy.....not really something that making me reach for the ole wallet.

I understand their attempt to not make it a one chance shot to get into the show but they seem to have missed on this one. But you know what Tom, if you listening, I'll trade ya, drop your countdown and I'll let ya keep your new qualifying format:D

My thinking was take for instance Chicago last year where the bump was a 4.59 now the crew chiefs won't have to go for a mid 50 when there's no way the track will hold that kind of number. I'm not thrilled with this format (I would have preferred a late afternoon/early evening Saturday session) but it's better than giving provisionals to the top 10 or averaging the four qualifying runs together. The other point I was making was that at least there was a problem with the qualifying format that they are trying to address, whereas there was nothing wrong with the points system. I guess when it comes to Glendora I've adopted the theory expect the worse and when you get anything less it seems better than it really is.

I think it stinks.

The pussification of drag racing continues...news at 11.

Yeah - what T said. I just don't understand why there can't be a Saturday night session. If you have a problem on Friday, this should even things out.
I'm happy for all of you have this figured out, because it looks to me that this opens the door for more "interpretation". It's probably fully explained in the Policy Manual - which is not available to NHRA members or racers.

I think it stinks.

The pussification of drag racing continues...news at 11.

I wonder now if this was a direct result of what happened at Indy this year. Lets call it the Litton-Zizzo rule. We wouldn't want those guys from the other side screwing up our COUNTDOWN.

Assuming the provisionals are set after the 3rd Q at Indy...

13-16 were Litton, Zizzo, Bradshaw and Millican. Out were Bernstein, Bazemore, Todd, Kalitta and others. If this were in place then 13-16 would have ended up Millican, Bazemore, Kalitta, Hartley and out were Litton (career best 4.57), Zizzo (career best 4.57) and Bradshaw. Millican who ran just slower than his #16-4.59 at 4.61 actually would have moved up by running slower. That whole scenario just ain't right. To say after 3 shots at Indy you get a new life cause the weather got warm is crap. Everyone gets the same chance.

Here's a philosophy for ya if you are a "budget" team; sit out Friday and take your shot in 2 attempts on Saturday for 4 remaining spots. Great idea if there are only 12-13 "good" cars and the rest are of lesser or equal ability to you.

I could rant more but it won't do me no good here!!!!!!

Just reread it again....

The top twelve are not locked in... Primo weather on saturday and it's business as usual... that may come into play early and late in the season... heat of the summer or a one lane track, we might just have the first 5 pairs running for the last 4 spots... still think we're going to have as many smokers and surprise dnq's as last year, maybe even more...

d'kid

Just reread it again....

The top twelve are not locked in... Primo weather on saturday and it's business as usual...

d'kid

That's true! But in the case of Indy last year after 3 rounds of Q the track and weather deteriorated on Sunday and those "insert big name" cars that couldn't figure it out after 3 would have gotten in with this rule and those that ran exceptionally well (not just OK) in the first 3 would have gotten bumped. That's wrong.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back