NHRA Official Qualifying Changes (1 Viewer)

What do nascar, Indy, F1 and such do?

F1 uses 3 sessions on one day. 1st session slowest 16-22, 2nd slowest 11-15, 3rd session the fastest 10 shoot it out for the 1-10 positions.

The 1st session is pretty boring, the fast guys make a few laps to get a good enough time to get to the next session only. 2nd session is a little better and strategy starts to play a little. the 3rd session is the payoff with a lot of timing and strategy going in to making the fastest lap as late as you can in the session and on good tires and burning off just the right amount of fuel to be fast at the end etc. etc.

And like last year they had one team member hold up his teammate in the pits getting tires so he missed his chance at a faster lap. Lots of controversy.

I would think that in the above scenario that the 12th place car does not get bumped out but bumped down to 13th and the next 3 quickest would fill in the remaining spot. If he got bumped out in this situation, he/she would have to requalify as one of the 4 quickest on Saturday. That's just not right. The provisional guarantees the top 12 unless at least 5 cars run quicker than the 12th car on Saturday. Only then does that car have to be one of the quickest 16 to remain qualified. I could go into more scenarios but I think you'll get it.

You're exactly right and I stand corrected. I just had a conversation with Anthony Vestal and he was able to get the details through my rock-hard brain.

Part of the reason "provisional" is being used is that 1-12 are going to have an advantage. Their best Friday time will stay with them, while any 13th or below at the start of the final day starts from scratch.

I was under the impression that a minimum of four "slower" cars would be brought in on Saturday and that's not true. Four cars will indeed be brought in, but it's possible that all of them run quicker than the previous twelve. In that case, no "slow Saturday" cars make the cut.

Anthony offered a good way of thinking of it. On Friday, we're looking at a qualified field of 12. Starting the last day of qualifying, we now have a 16 car field and the 13-16 positions get filled from the quickest cars who aren't already in. Since the sequence of passes is in reverse order, after the first two pairs on the last day we will then have a qualified field of 16 and everybody fights it out from there.

One thing he mentioned is that all of us (the original press release included) have sort of confused things by referring to Friday, Saturday, etc. The real issue is that the field doesn't go to 16 until the final day.

He also stated that if, for instance, weather washed out the final day completely the 16 quickest existing times would be used as in the past.

Hope this clarifies instead of generating more confusion.

Last edited:
Yep, NHRA's Countdown To Qualifying.....just another gimmick. It's for one reason, to sell more tickets. I too can't wait for the drunken "Rulebook" sitting behind me to explain it to his buddies. Bah. Wonder if NHRA consulted with any racers before they dropped this cow patty on em?

So if I run 4.59 and 4.60 on Friday and it's only good enough for #13 spot, then on Saturday I only muster a 4.80 and 4.79 and the other guys who were not in the top 12 all run 4.70 I'm **** out of luck not racing on Sunday ?

This is crap. What's next ? Provisional starts for guys who have 4 cars entered in one class ?

That pretty much sums it up. You can be one of the 16 quickest cars on the grounds, and still go home before 1st round. :mad:

Here's how I look at it. Everyone gets the same chances to run the same sessions, whatever the schedule may be. Run well and your in. Run like a slug, well that's too damn bad. You had your chance, and blew it.

So now, with this new "rule", you get a second or third chance to take out someone who had their chit together previously, and all while running worse than they did.

Why don't we just draw straws for starting positions? That would be fair, and would save the teams the expense of even running during quals. Come to think of it, why even race? Someone might win, and that would be unfair to others, and we sure as hell can't have that, can we?!

This is BS; life doesn't work this way, and it's nothing more than pure unadulterated PC crap...

Drag racing used to be so straight forward and simple...

Sorry for the rant, this kind of stuff just steams me. :D

Unlike the countdown ,at least this attempts to fix a problem that needed fixing. I'm for anything that eliminates the Saturday smokefests, at least now crew chiefs won't be pressured to go for a big number that isn't there. I would have rather seen them run at later times on Saturday but at least this is a step in the right direction.

Unlike the countdown ,at least this attempts to fix a problem that needed fixing. I'm for anything that eliminates the Saturday smokefests, at least now crew chiefs won't be pressured to go for a big number that isn't there. I would have rather seen them run at later times on Saturday but at least this is a step in the right direction.

Tell me how this will eliminate the smokefest?? It will allow or could allow someone to qualify even with a horribly slow time during the smokefest but this really hasn't done anything to address track conditions, the time of day qualifying is run or the weather. I still don't see a reason why I should risk buying Saturday tickets anymore. Right now all I see is that I may be able to see a guy go 700ft smoke em shut it off run 6.53 and quailfy.....not really something that making me reach for the ole wallet.

I understand their attempt to not make it a one chance shot to get into the show but they seem to have missed on this one. But you know what Tom, if you listening, I'll trade ya, drop your countdown and I'll let ya keep your new qualifying format:D

Apparently this was at the request of some teams regarding the situation where if you didn't make a good run Friday night you missed the show.

Let's just make our sport that much harder to understand for people who don't have a clue.

That'll help our TV coverage a TON...

I think that the key piece of information missing from the NHRA's release is that after Friday Qualifying is complete, all elapsed times for those not in the "Provisional 12" are discarded.

YEAH..I WAS LOST ONCE I READ THE WORD PROVISIONAL!!! But, makes sense...(kind of) now! Should be fun on Saturday's with good weather conditions.

so, we can still have a bump-a-thon on satursdays... or, if the conditions a poo, 13-16 are open season, because 13 to 16 times from friday are thrown out? and if ya can run better than anyone on friday night's time, you bump into the field accordingly...

Say 16th ran a 4.785, 15th ran 4.783, 14 ran 4.776, 13 ran 4.764 on friday night, saturday, the best 4 are 4.85 to 4.83... and 13 tru 16 can only run high 80's, so they get bumped????

just using flopper as an example...

d'kid
Again Nero is fiddling while Rome burns, there was nothing wrong with the old format, it made you bring your A game to all sessions. I say this having been with V when we missed Friday night ran good Saturday and packed up and went home without playing on Sunday. More artificially generated reality TV drama. Bread and Circuses trash.

S/F
D

Here's how I look at it. Everyone gets the same chances to run the same sessions, whatever the schedule may be. Run well and your in. Run like a slug, well that's too damn bad. You had your chance, and blew it.

So now, with this new "rule", you get a second or third chance to take out someone who had their chit together previously, and all while running worse than they did.

My view as well, Steve. Stated perfectly.

That pretty much sums it up. You can be one of the 16 quickest cars on the grounds, and still go home before 1st round. :mad:

Why don't we just draw straws for starting positions? That would be fair, and would save the teams the expense of even running during quals. Come to think of it, why even race? Someone might win, and that would be unfair to others, and we sure as hell can't have that, can we?!

This is BS; life doesn't work this way, and it's nothing more than pure unadulterated PC crap...

Drag racing used to be so straight forward and simple...

Sorry for the rant, this kind of stuff just steams me. :D

Scott....

Please see this link for those who share your frustration...I believe there is gonna be a support group after the season starts up...;)

NHRA points System Petition

:cool:

why not simply say... After 1, 1 tru 12 times, all others no time... after 2, 1 to 12 times, all others no time

All times count Q3 and Q4 and been done with it...

I'm getting tired of the WWE-NHRA...

d'kid

I can`t wait to listen to the drunk `know it alls' in the stands, trying to explain how this works. Saturdays are gonna be fun again!

I'm buying 1st round in Vegas Chris.....Let's Be "THAT GUY"!:eek: Even better we can get Pauly sauced again, and with his accent....it'll really throw people off!!!;)

two ideas/questions while I was putting wash in...

top 8 cars on friday on one side of the ladder... (friday's top 8 don't 'need' to run saturday)

top 8 cars on saturday on the other

idea # 2... Pomona only... 1 st round Qualifying pairings... who gets Mike's spot in flopper and who gets Melanie's and Whit's spots in T/F? Does Melanie get Mike's spot in Flopper or does she come out early as a 'rookie' in the class?

d'kid

I can`t wait to listen to the drunk `know it alls' in the stands, trying to explain how this works. Saturdays are gonna be fun again!

Cool Chris, I'll try to explain it after 3-4 Beers!

I remember at Houston a couple of years ago during the First Saturday session, and it was a Smokefest! The temps were around 80 or so, and nobody was getting down the track. This Husband and wife who were sitting next to me asked me if they were just playing around since they got in last night? I tried to explain the Track temps and all, but it's obvious they weren't impressed!

Makes we wonder if these guys use Saturday sessions just to experiment with tune-ups? Cause they sure don't win over many fans with 8-9 sec. passes.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back