Nhra Releases Findings (1 Viewer)

Anyone think that NHRA is being a little more forthcoming about this incident because they know the public will have access to the reports from the NJ State Police?

I don't think so. My opinion is that NHRA knows that the organization is on the hot seat and it would behoove them to start looking at additional ways to improve the safety for the racers.

It's a start.

Anyone think that NHRA is being a little more forthcoming about this incident because they know the public will have access to the reports from the NJ State Police?

Absolutely ! :mad:

If there being more forthcoming because their honest then where is the report on Darryl R.

Last edited:
Absolutely ! :mad:

If there being more forthcoming because their honest then where is the report on Darryl R.

That report is probably buried in the shutdown area of Pamona Fairplex. I think they know the heat is on, and the truth WILL come out this time. Their best bet is to be proactive

I'm I reading too much (or too little) into the details outlined by the NHRA release?

They mention the catch net pole, then the television crane. Does this mean that indeed the car vaulted the concrete wall?

Whatever the reason is, I am happy the NHRA is looking at ways to make the cars safer. After what happened last weekend, it would not bother me at all if the NHRA slows the cars down dramatically. I was always for keeping them around the current performance levels, but I have since changed my mind.

The catch net on carriers can stop a f-18 without injury to pilots, I don't know what a f-18 weighs but I would think it would be 2 to3 times what a tf/funny car does, With reajustments to the water turbines for weight difference it should work well. I know the cost to install this at all tracks would be very expensive. If this system was made to be taken from track to track and every track just had to install concret bases in the ground with the same mounting holes ( I know this suggestion has allready been e-mailed to the NHRA by someone else as I type this ) I know I would feel much safer as a driver

Last edited:
I'm I reading too much (or too little) into the details outlined by the NHRA release?

They mention the catch net pole, then the television crane. Does this mean that indeed the car vaulted the concrete wall?

yes it did.

Regardless of the reason they did release it and at least at this point nobody forced them too so that is a good thing and I thank and commend them for that.

The additional video will greatly help their reconstructing of the accident and hopefully give them the full story of what went wrong and more importantly how to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Good Job NHRA, for passing along some info and what is planned for the future.

Bobby, as always, thanks for the info and link. :)

Rapid

Well Im impressed...gave alot more details then I thought they would.
Hopefully the changes and research continue!

I applaud the NHRAs forward action and press release on this despite the reason they did it. I believe this particular incident has more questions to be asked than answers will be given.

I have one concern. It appears from everything I've seen that there was no driver manipulation beyond the explosion such as brakes locking and bouncing, fire systems being deployed, etc. Is there a chance Scott was unconscious during the down-track events that took his life and if so, how will measures be put in place for the next such accident. I also applaud the all encompassing catch-net idea as a great start.

The catch net on carriers can stop a f-18 without injury to pilots

that is only if the plane does not hit the stanchions that support the catch net. From what I have read, it appears that the car hit a pole that the net was attached to and from what I have seen in the footage of the wreck, the car also hit the JLG boom lift that was being used as a remote camera platform.

Is there a chance Scott was unconscious during the down-track events that took his life and if so, how will measures be put in place for the next such accident. I also applaud the all encompassing catch-net idea as a great start.

I would think there is a good chance that he was unconscious Bobby. I am very interested in seeing if the ear-bud sensors from the Ford blue-box can provide any useful data in that area.

This is a nice move in the right direction from the suits in Glendora, and I applaud them. Keeping the solid obstacles that Scott hit during the crash out of that area of the facility will be the easy part, but I'm glad they're taking a serious look into slowing the machines down a bit.

I'll still stick to my idea of adding electronic sensors at the finish line to automatically deploy the chutes and cut-off the fuel to the many other things that are bound to be implemented as a result of this.

Sean D

The catch net on carriers can stop a f-18 without injury to pilots, I don't know what a f-18 weighs

An F18 weighs somewhere in the area of 25,000 pounds, according to Wikipedia. So if the military nets will stop an F18, they surely will stop a racecar. And from a cost standpoint, perhaps the NHRA purchases said net, and carries it with them from track to track??

Whatever the reason is, I am happy the NHRA is looking at ways to make the cars safer. After what happened last weekend, it would not bother me at all if the NHRA slows the cars down dramatically. I was always for keeping them around the current performance levels, but I have since changed my mind.

My Dad & brother have always said since the cars have been in the 4's and 300 mph consistently that it was beginning to become too fast. Not just for the driver's safety, but spectator safety, and facility safety. Granted, these are my opinions as a fan that loves the sport. One who does work in the racing industry, and one who has lost a personal friend through an auto racing related death.

What needs to be accomplished for safety sake is what really needs to be thoroughly investigated, and not knee-jerked band-aided. Other forms of motorsport have made changes to slow cars down, reduce costs, and increase safety. Can't keep throwing weight to the cars. It's harder to slow 2500 lbs at 300 mph than 2250 lbs. I have a few more ideas, but no one cares to hear them from "just a fan".

We as fans need to ask ourselves a few questions. Do we want to see the nitro cars push the envelope of speed ? Do we want to keep watching 1/4 mile racing ? Can we watch cars race at 300 mph instead of 320 -335 ? Do we want to watch side-by-side racing ?

I can keep rambling questions. Everything needs to be addressed. I'm not going to speculate on the cause of the accidents or deaths of those who have perished in recent years.

I'd be happy watching nitro cars running 4.70's to 4.80's at 290-300 mph, side by side, and running 100 % nitro. As my brother said he enjoyed the nitro racing just as much when 5.90's- 6.0's at 240 were the norm.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back