NHRA Review Panel upholds Schumacher findings, fine (1 Viewer)

That looks NOTHING like Eckman and Orndoff, Wayne County (ALLEGEDLY) or even the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS....:rolleyes:

But, I do see your point... Breaking rules is very bad... WHEN YOUR INTENT IS TO ACTUALLY BREAK THEM. I however believe this pic best describes the situation:

Timmah!
Proud supporter of the SITH!
A: Intent (or ignorance) of rules in not reason for appealing violations.
B: Knowing that you have 1. Unapproved Nitro or 2. Illegal shot bags in the cockpit, would hardly be considered has not having intent.

If the rules spell out that no metric nuts were to be used, and someone screwed on a #10 on a fixed part, that is not having intent. Storing unapproved nitro or tossing shot bags to make weight, well, that is a different story.

The rules were pretty explicit, especially in light of the Homeland Security rules.

But, please, don't let that stop anyone here from making this a "NHRA is foolish" thread.

Last edited:
Could it be the Nitro that was delivered to the DSR pits was delivered to early?.
DSR has stated that they were to use the nitro in question on Monday.Who ever was storing the Nitro got mixed up on dates? Could happen. Nobodies perfect but a $100k fine, oh please get real.
Lets put this in perspective:
A wife borrows her husbands boat to go read a book out on the lake (boat is full of fishing equiptment)
While reading her book in a secluded cove a game warden comes by and tells the lady that its illegal to be fishing in the cove. She is breaking the law.
Lady states that she is not fishing but reading a book.
Game Warden dosn't buy the story, what with all the fishing equiptment on board.
Lady tells game warden to go and write up a citation but when she gets back to shore she is going to file rape charges against the warden.
WHAT are you talking about lady, I never touched you?
You have all the equiptment don't you?
There are two sides to every story.
SURE DSR had inproper Nitro in their pits but did they use it?
How many times have you seen cases of beer in the pits. I for one have seen many a case of beer. Isn't beer in the pits illegal?
I wonder who ratted out the Don on the delivery of the Nitro? Someone with a grudge for sure.
I could agree with the fine IF it was proven that the Nitro in question was used at the event.
As far as the ballast, They got caught.
I would be willing to bet that most teams have bent the rules now and then.

I know many of you don't remember, but this crap all began in the 60s with the fuel ban, then they got rid of Modified Eliminator, then Top Gas... And on and on.

No one loves em, but have you noticed? No one leaves them either.

If you are expecting a Don boycott, think again.

Maybe Don Schumacher can have Evan Knoll help him with his appeal, Mr. Knoll probably has a lot of time on his hands.
I agree with Greg Moon, if anyone, racers, fans, or owners, don't like the NHRA, go watch or participate in the IHRA. Don't they have 8 car fields and a 10 race schedule? Or is it a 10 car field and an eight race schedule? The racers better brush-up on their French language too, because they'll be spending a lot of time in Canada.

Screw NHRA! And yes I have put my money where my mouth is. I no longer attend NHRA events. Or IHRA for that matter. I will stick with the ADRL and the independent nostalgia scene.

It's hard to disagree with Greg Moon on this one.................

The statement posted on NHRA.com is pretty stupid, why even bother posting that until the final appeal draws a verdict, it just keeps letting worms out of the can.:cool:

This comes as no surprise, they start making waves showing some change in attitude and now this. I'm sure Don S, won't take this setting down, the other issues that will be coming out and this bogus charge i think will bring the roof down on Graham L.

Bobby, here's my order,

1 -- XXL
2 -- XL
2 -- L

Forget Larry Morgan, I think I will print some shirts.

Pro Stock Trucks
Nitro Shortages
Heat Treated Tubing
Steve Johnson's loss/win at Indy
Official Fuel Supplier
etc. etc. etc.

PM me with your favorite NHRA debacle.

You forgot:

Countdown v.1
Countdown v.2
Revised Qualifying
Official Tire Supplier

Well done, Doc.

EDIT: oops sorry PJ, didn't see your post

Last edited:
My issue isn't with the rules..my complaint is the way it was handled.

During the broadcast..interviews & statements. It was just lame the way it came across.

Maybe Don Schumacher can have Evan Knoll help him with his appeal, Mr. Knoll probably has a lot of time on his hands.
I agree with Greg Moon, if anyone, racers, fans, or owners, don't like the NHRA, go watch or participate in the IHRA. Don't they have 8 car fields and a 10 race schedule? Or is it a 10 car field and an eight race schedule? The racers better brush-up on their French language too, because they'll be spending a lot of time in Canada.

Maybe the ones that believe in the tactics that NHRA takes to pad there pockets should leave and start their own organization ....H.....A....... let them fill in the dots.

Forget Larry Morgan, I think I will print some shirts.

Pro Stock Trucks
Nitro Shortages
Heat Treated Tubing
Steve Johnson's loss/win at Indy
Official Fuel Supplier
etc. etc. etc.

PM me with your favorite NHRA debacle.

I've actually kicked around the idea of starting a little company or something making racing themed shirts. Ideally hooking up and providing teams items and actually having a one stop internet shop of course in addition to that I would have some lets say shirts with some bite to them. I like the list you have there and have a similar one that I've been thinking about for awhile

I am w/ Greg w/ this one...Pay the fine and move along--they broke the rules, simple as that. He was not the first, just the first to get caught.

I have a question, did by chance NHRA ever like give Don a verbal warning and if not have they giving one to any other fuel teams that may have some unauthorized nitro? I agree, pay the fine and move on, but the fine is just too big in my opinion, unless they had warned him previously. Anybody know anything about that?

The rumor from the nitro pits was that DSR was only purchasing a low percentage of the total volume of fuel required to run the number of laps that the DSR cars were making. Satisfactory answers were not given when asked about this and that brought about the discovery of the fuel and the fine. Again these were only rumors and may not be worth the effort I just expended to key this in. Someone said the whole story has not been told and I do think that is true. I don't think anyone actually involved in this has clean hands.

The statement posted on NHRA.com is pretty stupid, why even bother posting that until the final appeal draws a verdict, it just keeps letting worms out of the can.

Perhaps they read the Mater and wanted to update people on where the case is? :p

I agree that people who break the rules should be held accountable, and it's hard to argue that DSR didn't have the nitro. The way NHRA handled it was pretty sad. Light on TV -- why do that? Should've been a private matter. And the 1.3.1 rule they violated is all about "participant conduct" -- like disparaging the sport or NHRA, that kind of thing. What's that about?

But all in all, hard to say the rule book should apply in some cases and not others. That's what the appeals process is about. Perhaps we should let that take its course?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back