New NHRA Nitro 'Spec' Engine for Top Fuel and Funny Cars (1 Viewer)

<snip> But look at what works now... turbocharged cars are everywhere, and have been for awhile. <snip>

You summed up in one short sentence why it will NOT work. Many/most people who go to the drags want to see something fantastic, amazing, exotic. The dragsters, the massive engines, the nitro, the huge rear tires, people who rebuild an entire engine in 30 minutes. They want sights, sounds, and smells they'd never see anywhere. That's part of the reason the stands empty when the non-fuel cars run. "Hell, I can do that in my Buick" -- even if they couldn't.

The following is some information from a very reliable source on the situation...Take this information how you want to...

I'm getting feedback from a number of prominent racers that A) They want no part of this particular engine combination because it will obsolete thousands of dollars worth of their existing equipment, B) They don't think it will produce the results NHRA wants and, most importantly, C) There are more than a handful of name drivers who do not want to return to full quarter mile racing for various other safety reasons (such as tracks like Pomona being too short and impossible to change -- and there are others, like Englishtown, Bandimere, etc.).

NHRA management also had some conversations with highly respected engine builders/aftermarket manufacturers about assisting on this program, but in typical fashion, someone from NHRA then called these people and instead of seeking their input as had been promised them by senior management, they were simply informed that "Here's what we're doing." The people who had been asked to assist are super-pissed about being dissed this way.

Eric, Not knocking your opinion or what you relayed-but racers being racers--and crew chiefs being crew chiefs, my guess would be that the teams that have adapted to 1000ft + are running good are the ones that dont want it. The ones with a good billet blown program (and dyno) and the best pumps etc. dont want to give up what they worked hard to come up with.

A) They want no part of this particular engine combination because it will obsolete thousands of dollars worth of their existing equipment,

What-the crank with a 100k warranty? Lets say you have a massive Cruz sized boomer-nothing salvagable. You need to to buy a new crank-pistons-blower-mag-sleeves-block-etc. anyways-no matter what the specs are.

B) They don't think it will produce the results NHRA wants

Ok-NHRA wants them slower-they crews think they'll be too fast for them? Or do they think the cars will be more explosion-prone?

C) There are more than a handful of name drivers who do not want to return to full quarter mile racing for various other safety reasons (such as tracks like Pomona being too short and impossible to change -- and there are others, like Englishtown, Bandimere, etc.).

1320 ft didnt keep any of them from wanting to drive and get into the sport?
Even if they did say something, it was " we need the slow these cars down" not " we need to race them a shorter distance."

Crew chief question (of more than the keyboard type:) ) What would your guess for mph + et to the 1/4 be? Will the 3,50 gears kill the backhalf charge? Would the reduced power cause more tire shake? If you had to start a team from scratch + didnt have to scrap any programs, how much would the difference in price be?

Eric, Not knocking your opinion or what you relayed-but racers being racers--and crew chiefs being crew chiefs, my guess would be that the teams that have adapted to 1000ft + are running good are the ones that dont want it. The ones with a good billet blown program (and dyno) and the best pumps etc. dont want to give up what they worked hard to come up with.

Just to set the record straight...I actually like some of the ideas NHRA are testing and I actually think they will help...I was merely posting what was sent to me regarding the situation... Do I think NHRA will get it right the first time? Absolutely not! Do I think the turbo motor on alky is the way to go? Absolutely not! Am I qualified to make the decisions regarding it? Absolutely not! I do know for a fact that if these cars are not slowed down, there will be no nitro classes in the near future...

>>>" I do know for a fact that if these cars are not slowed down, there will be no nitro classes in the near future..."<<<

I don't know how he can know that, but I believe him!

Thanks to everyone who commented on my ideas. I appreciate the input.

Bill

Thats easy to know...Between the insurance companies and todays tree hugging pc world...It wont last without change, and that even makes me skeptical...

Pandora's box can be nailed shut at any time.

Marketing strategies and business plans are changed every day in the real world.

In reality, who are they marketing to? Not the internet keyboard jockies. From what I gather very few attend more than a couple of national events a year just like I do. A Mater meeting at an event will draw about a dozen members, yet there are thousands of fans in attendance. The majority of the event attendees are the local populance, that doesn't really care what size motor, what gear, how many mags, or size of fuel pumps the cars have. They just want the attack on their senses that supercharged nitro powered vehicles give them. Most would rather watch the pro crews work on their cars and experience a nitro car warming up than to watch most of the classes run down the strip. When I sat in the stands at Atlanta, most of the fans around me were excited when a car went 300 mph, whether it was 300 even or 310 didn't seem to make a difference. No mentions of ets or the 1,000' distance that I heard. Talk about drivers centered around he's cute or she is hot. Nothing about skills or rts. Some talk about the sponsors.

Ban Nitro - NHRA tried it once, other associations have thought about it but tested their plan first with the people that populate their events, and everytime have found that it will not work.

I applaud NHRA for taking the initiative to try something. They have picked the perfect person and team to test their theories. I am sure there will be modifications, just like you have seen with the timing system changes already. But they are doing something, not just talking about it.

Virgil that was a great post, I agreed with all but the sentence "Most would rather see them warm-up in the Pits than watch them go down the track"! As one who's gone to a TON of Natl. events I have to disagree! I like everyone loves that Pit experience of the Warm-up getting my Eyes watered up and my Nose burning. But Nothing compares to that Rumble of two Fuel cars going down the track! ;)

Joe - please read the whole sentence, when you quote some one you shouldn't drop a word or two as it changes the whole meaning.

NHRA made another good decision when they excluded the manufacturers from running the tests. It is easy to direct the results in the direction that best benefits the tester. That is why Wilkerson is the perfect tester. He doesn't work for anyone, so no one will tell him what they want the results to be. He will admit his mistakes without making excuses or putting blame elsewhere. He has no agendas, as he doesn't manufacture anything. And he will speak his mind in a way that doesn't upset others, at least not too much.

I believe NHRA has a set of performance parameters in mind, and they will keep reworking the set up and testing until they feel comfortable with the results and that they will limit immediate future increases in performance. Have you noticed the change from an 8-71 blower to the 14-71 at 15% over? The ignition timing system change? These changes are a result of them listening to crewchiefs and owners concerned with budgets.

Just for information, crankshafts are changed after 4 to 20 runs, rods last from 1 to 15 runs, rear gears are changed after 25 to 120 runs, input shafts 5 to 50 runs, clutch discs 1 to 4 runs, floaters 1 to 4 runs, and pistons 1 to 20 runs. Team budgets determine frequency.

Bill - I didn't comment on your suggestions as I don't feel you really thought your reasons and statements out entirely. Get more realistic and factual, and then it is worth some discussion.

At the risk of boring you all to death with repetition, I'm going to ask that you once again, read this list of fourteen reasons why an 800 cubic inch multi-turbo'd alcohol "Mountain Motor" would be superior to the new "spec" Fuel motor that NHRA may be mandating in T/F and F/C.

Why am I asking this??

Because I can't imagine that you all took the time to read all of it the first time, because the response to it was so one-sided that I can't imagine that there are that many people reading this stuff that could think that the advantages of nitro (more power/more noise/better aroma/more charisma) TOTALLY TRANSCENDS all fourteen reasons why the alky changeover is better for drag racing as a whole.

One more time, in no particular order as to importance:

It doesn't blow up like a Nitro car with potentially driver-killing explosions
It doesn't burn expensive fuel that is fraught with supply problems and politics
It doesn't "launch" superchargers and injection hats into the stratosphere
It doesn't blow up expensive, carbon-fiber F/C bodies like Fuel motors do
It won't hurt drivetrain parts to the extent that Fuel motors do
It will slow the cars down without the kind of de-tuning that the NHRA wants
It will be an 1,800-pound car; (easier to stop)
It will eliminate cookie-cutter cars for awhile, at least
It will add a new dimension (ingenuity in action) that we haven't seen forever
It will eliminate thrown blower belts
It will cut expenses in myriad ways
It will probably eliminate the every-round teardown that requires $$ personell
It will eliminate a lot of "up-in-smoke" runs (less "excessive" HP)
It will eliminate the necessity of running 1,000 feet (slower cars)

All that is trumped by "WAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH"!!!!!!!!

Could be... but, can the sport afford the bill for the noise?

Virgil reminded us that NHRA tried a Fuel ban (in 1957) and it didn't work.

Well; Oldsmobile tried turbocharging (F85 Jetfire) in 1962-'63 and it didn't work, either. But look at what works now... turbocharged cars are everywhere, and have been for awhile.

NHRA had no viable alternative when they banned nitro in 1957; gasoline was their fuel of choice and it wasn't up to the task.

Since then, the technological advancements in power production have "taken up the slack," to a large extent, and while, what I'm suggestion in no way would be as fast as a Fuel car, it would be reasonably close I believe. The turbocharged, big-inch, alky motors on Sonny Leonard's dyno have seen 3,000 horsepower, and in an 1,800-pound chassis could probably run numbers in the high 4's in the quarter mile, I think.

That might just be slow enough to satisfy the insurance companies that are carping about 335mph speeds...

Thank you for your indulgence.

Bill

I'd rather go bowling than watch a turbo drag-car...!!!

RE: "I'd rather go bowling than watch a turbo drag-car...!!!"

I guess that's why they have bowling alleys... for people like you. :)

I'd rather watch a mechanically superior form of forced induction work its magic at the flywheel without all the histrionics of thrown belts and lift-off explosions... just basically, non-parasitic generated boost, and lots of it.

There's a reason that NHRA has traditionally added weight to turbo cars, when paired against Roots-blown cars... they work better. Without the handicapped weight factors, the positive-displacement (blower)cars never stood a chance.

But that doesn't mean much to folks who are only interested in the visceral...

LOL! I do understand... I love the sound and the fury, too.... it's just not the smarter way to go right now; too expensive because of all the reasons I listed, with nitro being at the root of all of it.

But, that's what this board is all about; people voicing their opinion. It's a great sounding board for ideas.

Virgil, thanks for your input; it's always valuable.

Bill

Last edited:
Another $.02

Turbos have their place.. Just that place isn't in TOP FUEL where it's the sound and excitement.. The being on edge of exploding.. OH and yes 330 is fun to see.. BUT after the 1st pair of side by side.. WELL it too in some ways is boring. I personally love the "FREAKSHOW" tire smoking.. in and out of the throttle pedal fests get me on the edge of my seat!!!

My opinion.. Bring back the 12" wide slicks.. Take away the big wings.. Let the drivers drive and the tuners tune...

Did some thinking and decided I needed to validate my rationales by explaining the raison d' etre for some of these radical suggetions I made.

Virgil is right; I need to enumerate a realistic and factual explanation of the impetus behind my list of 14 reasons how and why today's Fuel motors can be replaced with a better powerplant for a changing world.

With regard to the 800 cid alky-fired, turbocharged motor I'd suggested, here goes:

1. It doesn't blow up like a Nitro car with potentially driver-killing explosions

Nitromethane-fueled engines sometimes experience horrific explosions like the one involved in Scott Kalitta's fatal accident. Seems like the non-compressibility of fluids comes into play when the fire goes out in a cylinder, and an explosion-creating phenomenon called "hydraulic-ing" can occur. This is not a rare occurence, and when it happens, catastrophic engine failure can be the least of the problems, with the shrapnel taking no prisoners; fuel systems, steering and braking systems are likely victims, and can leave the driver helplessly riding a 300 mile-per hour, 2,200-pound ballistic missile with no working control systems. Expensive, carbon-fiber Funny Car bodies shred like cardboard under the stress of these explosions, and the bottom line is, the aftermath of such an explosion can be an insurance company's worst nightmare.

Alcolhol engines don't suffer that fate, that I am aware. Or, do they? I've never seen an alky motor explode with the ferocity of a Fuel motor.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that, please.

2. It doesn't burn expensive fuel that is fraught with supply problems and politics

We all are aware that nitromethane has increased in price exponentially in recent years, and the politically-based, total B.S. "shortage" of nitro that was perpetrated around the time of the Olympics was in no way beneficial to any racer ~I~ know of, and could happen again, and again, given the Draconian way NHRA seems to like to dictate policy about anything and everything, (including fuel suply) when they can.

Alcohol is cheap, easy to obtain, and not likely to become a political pawn in a supply-war among chemical companies. It would be really difficult for NHRA to affect the way alcohol is distributed in such a way that racers would be put over a barrell... no pun intended.

3.It doesn't "launch" superchargers and injector hats into the stratosphere

This is not an alcohol advantage as much as it is a turbocharger advantage. A turbocharger is not a closed system like a positive-displacement blower (Roots or screw-compressor-type), and as such, can exhaust the expanding air from an intake-system backfire through the compressor housing without the pressure buildup that occurrs with positive-displacement blowers.
Bottom line, no burst panels would be needed and no worries about airborne sharapnel injuring anyone. I think it's a safety "plus."

4. It doesn't blow up expensive, carbon-fiber F/C bodies like Fuel motors do

Funny Car pilots and owners should appreciate the money they WON'T have to spend replacing bodies that fell victim to nitro engine explosions.

5. It won't hurt drivetrain parts to the extent that Fuel motors do

Nitro motors create such humongous cylinder pressure that, when they finally got wings effective (read "BIG") enough, and tires sticky enough, to contain the torque from a 500-inch Fuel motor, drivetrain parts started taking a terrible beating from these masssive amounts of available torque. The torque produced by an 800-cid alcohol turbo motor is likely to be less than half what a 500-cid Fuel motor generates. If they use the pieces (couplers, clutches, axles, etc.) that are in use with these 8,000 horsepower Fuel motors, they'll probably NEVER break anything in the drivetrain again. They might be able to go back to a 9" Ford-style ring and pinion, but probably wouldn't. Drivetrain breakage should be nil...

6. It will slow the cars down without the kind of de-tuning that the NHRA wants

With only 3,000 hp available to move the car, it's obvious that these cars aren't going to be setting any new records, but isn't that what NHRA wants?

7. It will be an 1,800-pound car; (easier to stop)

Since the available torque will be so much less, the chassis can reflect that in two ways: lighter components can be used throughout, and since the cars won't be going as fast, maybe it would work to shorten the wheelbase up about 30", or so. A 270" car built with smaller-diameter, thinner-walled tubing (hafta be S.F.I. approved for the new motor, of course) would necessarily be lighter. I think an 1,800-pound car is a possibility. A much smaller wing could be used, too. That car, with the 3,000-hp, 800-cid, turbocharged engine on methanol, should run close to 300 mph, I'd think (in 1,320 feet.)

8. It will eliminate cookie-cutter cars for awhile, at least

Nobody is going to have a handle on this new car immediately, so some experimentation will undoubtedly take place. No two cars are likely to look much alike for awhile. HOW REFERSHING!!! NO?

9. It will add a new dimension (ingenuity in action) that we haven't seen forever

I.E. Newly designed fuel systems, streamlining and chassis design will probably be in evidence for several years after this changeover, as first one crew chief and then another discover how to make these things fly. Ingenuity will return to the race track in such a way as we haven't see it since the '70s.

10. It will eliminate thrown blower belts

Turbos only have one moving part and no belts at all; the reliabilty factor should go way up. Throwing the belt (or, breaking one) has to be one of the most irritating ways to lose a race. Never happen with the turbo cars...

11. It will cut expenses in myriad ways

Fuel costs will plummet. Alcohol is cheap!
Between-round maintenance would be minimized and greatly simplified since turbocharged alcohol cars don't have the voracious appetite for parts that Fuel motors do. It might be possible to do the at-the-track maintenance with 3 guys instead of 5... or 6... or whatever it takes, now.
Slicks can be smaller... and cheaper.

12. It will probably eliminate the every-round teardown that requires $$ personell.

The destructive nature of nitromethane has brought about the absolute necessity of scrutinizing and refreshing the motor after every trip down the strip. I am not sure that an alcohol motor would need that much TLC, but I could be wrong about that. The thought of 500 cubic inches producing 8,000 horsepower make an 800 cubic inch engine producing 3,000 horsepower seem almost lazy... so, maybe every-round teardowns might not be necessary.... we'll see. (No, we won't, because this is never gonna happen, but it's fun to think about.)

13. It will eliminate a lot of "up-in-smoke" runs (less "excessive" HP)

Should generate a lot fewer races wherein one or both drivers' cars overpower the track and end up with an aborted run. The amount of power available with the alky motor shouldn't make the cars as prone to blowing the tires off the car. That's a BIG plus, right there. Nobody likes to see a car lose traction and go up in smoke. Happens all too often with Fuel burners.

14. It will eliminate the necessity of running 1,000 feet (slower cars)

The slower speeds generated by the much-less-powerful engine might make it possible to return to quarter-mile racing. Not much more to say about that.

I hope these explanations "hold water" in most cases. I'm sure I missed some things, but I'm O-L-D.. Been watchin' this stuff since 1955... and it's not gettin' any better. This bunch of nonsense is an effort to save what's left.

Okay; so it doesn't go "WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"... Get over it! :rolleyes:

Thanks for listening, particularly Virgil.

Bill

Last edited:
Bill - you took the time so I will comment.

They will be much safer because there won't be any fans present to get hurt and only a very few will build this car, so we wouldn't have to worry about "cookie cutter" cars. Once you have watched, worked on or driven a blown nitro powered car, it is hard to go back to alcohol, especially turbo charged.

Several rare occurrances happened before, during and at the end of Scott's run to create the results. These items seldom happen on their own, but not previously reported to all happen on one run. Steps have been taken to keep them from occurring again.

Other cars have experienced horrendous explosions where no one was seriously hurt due to the safety measures that have been implemented over the years. In reality, the fans remember these events and it gets them to come back to other events.

A couple of alcohol teams have lost bodies already this year. They do blow up and they do burn, that is why they are equipped with the safety equipment they have.

Nitro did not/does not experience a problem from the manufacturers end. Details have been previously reported and that's all I'll say.

The everyday fan doesn't care what the distance is, isn't interested in the specifics of the cars, isn't really interested in the ets or rts. They want to experience the attack on their senses that blown nitro vehicles provide, they like close racing or pedal fests, 300 mph seems to hold their attention, and they love the fact that the cars are rebuilt after every round. I don't think your turbo charged alcohol car will excite them at all.

Did some thinking and decided I needed to validate my rationales by explaining the raison d' etre for some of these radical suggetions I made.

Virgil is right; I need to enumerate a realistic and factual explanation of the impetus behind my list of 14 reasons how and why today's Fuel motors can be replaced with a better powerplant for a changing world.

With regard to the 800 cid alky-fired, turbocharged motor I'd suggested, here goes:

1. It doesn't blow up like a Nitro car with potentially driver-killing explosions

Nitromethane-fueled engines sometimes experience horrific explosions like the one involved in Scott Kalitta's fatal accident. Seems like the non-compressibility of fluids comes into play when the fire goes out in a cylinder, and an explosion-creating phenomenon called "hydraulic-ing" can occur. This is not a rare occurence, and when it happens, catastrophic engine failure can be the least of the problems, with the shrapnel taking no prisoners; fuel systems, steering and braking systems are likely victims, and can leave the driver helplessly riding a 300 mile-per hour, 2,200-pound ballistic missile with no working control systems. Expensive, carbon-fiber Funny Car bodies shred like cardboard under the stress of these explosions, and the bottom line is, the aftermath of such an explosion can be an insurance company's worst nightmare.

Alcolhol engines don't suffer that fate, that I am aware. Or, do they? I've never seen an alky motor explode with the ferocity of a Fuel motor.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that, please.

2. It doesn't burn expensive fuel that is fraught with supply problems and politics

We all are aware that nitromethane has increased in price exponentially in recent years, and the politically-based, total B.S. "shortage" of nitro that was perpetrated around the time of the Olympics was in no way beneficial to any racer ~I~ know of, and could happen again, and again, given the Draconian way NHRA seems to like to dictate policy about anything and everything, (including fuel suply) when they can.

Alcohol is cheap, easy to obtain, and not likely to become a political pawn in a supply-war among chemical companies. It would be really difficult for NHRA to affect the way alcohol is distributed in such a way that racers would be put over a barrell... no pun intended.

3.It doesn't "launch" superchargers and injector hats into the stratosphere

This is not an alcohol advantage as much as it is a turbocharger advantage. A turbocharger is not a closed system like a positive-displacement blower (Roots or screw-compressor-type), and as such, can exhaust the expanding air from an intake-system backfire through the compressor housing without the pressure buildup that occurrs with positive-displacement blowers.
Bottom line, no burst panels would be needed and no worries about airborne sharapnel injuring anyone. I think it's a safety "plus."

4. It doesn't blow up expensive, carbon-fiber F/C bodies like Fuel motors do

Funny Car pilots and owners should appreciate the money they WON'T have to spend replacing bodies that fell victim to nitro engine explosions.

5. It won't hurt drivetrain parts to the extent that Fuel motors do

Nitro motors create such humongous cylinder pressure that, when they finally got wings effective (read "BIG") enough, and tires sticky enough, to contain the torque from a 500-inch Fuel motor, drivetrain parts started taking a terrible beating from these masssive amounts of available torque. The torque produced by an 800-cid alcohol turbo motor is likely to be less than half what a 500-cid Fuel motor generates. If they use the pieces (couplers, clutches, axles, etc.) that are in use with these 8,000 horsepower Fuel motors, they'll probably NEVER break anything in the drivetrain again. They might be able to go back to a 9" Ford-style ring and pinion, but probably wouldn't. Drivetrain breakage should be nil...

6. It will slow the cars down without the kind of de-tuning that the NHRA wants

With only 3,000 hp available to move the car, it's obvious that these cars aren't going to be setting any new records, but isn't that what NHRA wants?

7. It will be an 1,800-pound car; (easier to stop)

Since the available torque will be so much less, the chassis can reflect that in two ways: lighter components can be used throughout, and since the cars won't be going as fast, maybe it would work to shorten the wheelbase up about 30", or so. A 270" car built with smaller-diameter, thinner-walled tubing (hafta be S.F.I. approved for the new motor, of course) would necessarily be lighter. I think an 1,800-pound car is a possibility. A much smaller wing could be used, too. That car, with the 3,000-hp, 800-cid, turbocharged engine on methanol, should run close to 300 mph, I'd think (in 1,320 feet.)

8. It will eliminate cookie-cutter cars for awhile, at least

Nobody is going to have a handle on this new car immediately, so some experimentation will undoubtedly take place. No two cars are likely to look much alike for awhile. HOW REFERSHING!!! NO?

9. It will add a new dimension (ingenuity in action) that we haven't seen forever

I.E. Newly designed fuel systems, streamlining and chassis design will probably be in evidence for several years after this changeover, as first one crew chief and then another discover how to make these things fly. Ingenuity will return to the race track in such a way as we haven't see it since the '70s.

10. It will eliminate thrown blower belts

Turbos only have one moving part and no belts at all; the reliabilty factor should go way up. Throwing the belt (or, breaking one) has to be one of the most irritating ways to lose a race. Never happen with the turbo cars...

11. It will cut expenses in myriad ways

Fuel costs will plummet. Alcohol is cheap!
Between-round maintenance would be minimized and greatly simplified since turbocharged alcohol cars don't have the voracious appetite for parts that Fuel motors do. It might be possible to do the at-the-track maintenance with 3 guys instead of 5... or 6... or whatever it takes, now.
Slicks can be smaller... and cheaper.

12. It will probably eliminate the every-round teardown that requires $$ personell.

The destructive nature of nitromethane has brought about the absolute necessity of scrutinizing and refreshing the motor after every trip down the strip. I am not sure that an alcohol motor would need that much TLC, but I could be wrong about that. The thought of 500 cubic inches producing 8,000 horsepower make an 800 cubic inch engine producing 3,000 horsepower seem almost lazy... so, maybe every-round teardowns might not be necessary.... we'll see. (No, we won't, because this is never gonna happen, but it's fun to think about.)

13. It will eliminate a lot of "up-in-smoke" runs (less "excessive" HP)

Should generate a lot fewer races wherein one or both drivers' cars overpower the track and end up with an aborted run. The amount of power available with the alky motor shouldn't make the cars as prone to blowing the tires off the car. That's a BIG plus, right there. Nobody likes to see a car lose traction and go up in smoke. Happens all too often with Fuel burners.

14. It will eliminate the necessity of running 1,000 feet (slower cars)

The slower speeds generated by the much-less-powerful engine might make it possible to return to quarter-mile racing. Not much more to say about that.

I hope these explanations "hold water" in most cases. I'm sure I missed some things, but I'm O-L-D.. Been watchin' this stuff since 1955... and it's not gettin' any better. This bunch of nonsense is an effort to save what's left.

Okay; so it doesn't go "WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"... Get over it! :rolleyes:

Thanks for listening, particularly Virgil.

Bill

Bill, why not let the Fans decide? If this is your opinion, build one and show everybody just how much cheaper it is to run? I'm sure every Nitro racer out there are aware of the costs and risks. If safer and cheaper is your goal, maybe Drag racing's not the best example for this.

Thanks for your responses, Virgil and Joe. It would never happen, but just seemed to make sense to me. The performance differential between the two cars (spec fueler and this turbo/alky car) would seem to be minimal to me; maybe they could run 'em against each other.... LOL!

Thanks again for your time and consideration. I really do appreciate that you both took the time to read my proposal and to respond!

Bill

Last edited:
Bill,
There IS a a place to watch turbo/alky--AMA Dragbike funnybike class. Although 6.50's @220 sounds exciting, listening to them is dull. Years back, they let nitro Harleys run with them. The one nitro harley would drown out the noises of the other 15 hairdryers! The Harleys went elsewhere-and the class nearly died. No noise-no excitement.
Fast is fast--but i dont think the day will come when the fans in the stands will be willing to go "shhhh-funny cars are up." Or the t/f finals will get drowned out by a Jegs commercial on the jumbotron.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back