New NHRA TF chassis spec. (1 Viewer)

With Long and Meyer gone from the committee, among a couple others, I'm sceptical(sp?) it's adequate and hope that the TF fields survive 'til it's implemented! I hope it's not a band-aid on top of band-aids.

Yrs truly is speaking for sure, with emotion, but with a lot of inside knowledge as to what's been going on.

Call Long, Meyer and Bill Miller- they're all in the phone books and order the spec from SFI then draw your own conclusion!.

Some very disturbing quotes from Brad Hadman, including "*******rized" and
"I just don't trust them." We have no idea who came up with SFI Spec 2.3N and if any science or engineering was applied. I'm not sure what "sleeves" are, but if they stiffen the area between roll cage and engine, stress will transfer to the next failure point.
And then . . . there are the quotes about FC bracing. It's gonna be very interesting to see what shows up at Firebird in seven weeks!

With Long and Meyer gone from the committee, among a couple others, I'm sceptical(sp?) it's adequate and hope that the TF fields survive 'til it's implemented! I hope it's not a band-aid on top of band-aids.

Yrs truly is speaking for sure, with emotion, but with a lot of inside knowledge as to what's been going on.

Call Long, Meyer and Bill Miller- they're all in the phone books and order the spec from SFI then draw your own conclusion!.

Easy Norm; It won't do any good to call me, I've been "invalidated" remember?

I have just gained a lot more respect for Brad Hadman though, after reading the last couple sentences!!!
He ought to be careful though, some people I know were looked down on for having differing opinions.

Easy Norm; It won't do any good to call me, I've been "invalidated" remember?

I have just gained a lot more respect for Brad Hadman though, after reading the last couple sentences!!!
He ought to be careful though, some people I know were looked down on for having differing opinions.

Thanks Bob. Brad could have remained silent and waited for rush orders to pour in. Instead, we get some real input. Respect? You bet!

Didn't want to put you on the spot Bob, but your expertise is what I was referring folks to.

By the by -the new N spec is TEN Dollars more than all the rest!

I got the new f/c spec on order, I'm real curious about all the changes besides the bigger, thicker tubing main rails.
On another note: A good friend of mine has been in the air force as a weldor for 10 years, and a weldor in the aerospace industry for 20 years, and I told him about the heat treating business that was done before welding, all he said was "stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid". He also said the only time you heat treat is after welding, and you do not want to heat treat anything that is exposed to severe vibration, we've all seen what happens when that occurs.

Last edited:
Subject to this matter: read the "Friday Feedback" about Tubular Tales @ comp plus.
A very well worded letter from a metalurgist, Terry Pehrson who has put thoughts very similar to mine that I can't ever seem to spit out.

Bob

The "Current" vs "Braced" graphics in the article (provided by McKinney) are very interesting. I'm not sure what the colors signify, but it appears load has been transferred forward to the area around the motor. If the chassis fails forward of the back plate, the driver will be on a ride with 90% of the mass of the car. Lots of questions and no response from NHRA on how to construct a FC chassis for 2008. Opinions?

no response from NHRA on how to construct a FC chassis for 2008. Opinions?

Dan Olson has talked to several F/C owners about planned changes during the last month.
The new SFI spec has been drafted, and is currently being reviewed by several parties. The new T/F spec was worked on for the last 9 months is just now released,and will be mandatory in April 08. The F/C "revision" spec has a planed release still this year? (3wks)
From what a couple of owners told me ,it looks like many long days & nights for chassis builders. Used cars for TAFC & NFC at a reduced rate for sure!
If the .095 wall story is true, many years of clutch data will hit the crapper ! :eek:

I am merely an un-informed spectator, but the jump from .058 to .095 seems like a bit too much. Where did .065 or even .083 go? Is there such thing as an .095 car to take testing data from? I know the Creasy family had an .083 McKinney car that they ran for over a decade that would be a great study.
Sleeves on the bends as well like top fuel.
I guess I better get my SFI order in tomorrow.

Dan Olson has talked to several F/C owners about planned changes during the last month.
The new SFI spec has been drafted, and is currently being reviewed by several parties. The new T/F spec was worked on for the last 9 months is just now released,and will be mandatory in April 08. The F/C "revision" spec has a planed release still this year? (3wks)
From what a couple of owners told me ,it looks like many long days & nights for chassis builders. Used cars for TAFC & NFC at a reduced rate for sure!
If the .095 wall story is true, many years of clutch data will hit the crapper ! :eek:

Appears that all current TF chassis will be obsolete as of April. No idea when FC chassis will need to be replaced. If you are a fuel team owner with major sponsorship, do you pay a premium to get new cars to start testing in January? If not, you are going to have pay to test new cars before April (or whenever for FC). Teams without major (or no) sponsorship are going to have make some very difficult decisions - which could include dropping out of competition. This is just ugly.

Where did .065 or even .083 go? ,,, I know the Creasy family had an .083 McKinney car that they ran for over a decade that would be a great study.
Sleeves on the bends as well like top fuel..

I can't believe the need for such a big jump. There are many .065 F/C cars running right now with no problems. They also have sleeves at the joints.
We'll see in a couple of weeks if .095 is real or a story?
I have run a F/C car (Telstar) with a .095 bottom rail, and .065 for the rest, and liked it ! (no welders needed)
For me ,.049 shouldn't be allowed anywhere in the chassis, .058 minimum, , ,
.065 everywhere should make a safe car? Maybe .083 bottom rails at most.
Nasty, Rooman, Meyer ?
Tell us what you would build?

Well Jerry, I'm still confused! This topic started with T/F's new spec. I've not seen it yet, but I understand they'll all be hauling around a bunch of iron in back, but the origin of a spec in the first place was to protect the driver. Apparently this new spec doesn't address this much.

I can hardly wait for the F/C spec. as I DO have a "dog in the hunt".

As far as what would I do ? Finish what I've got started out in the shop with Exterior sleeves and .058 wall with NO bends hanging in the sky.

Not a really great source for an update, but I did pay for the new FC cert yesterday, and was told by the lady at the SFI front desk that they are looking at two to three weeks until the new FC spec is released.
There is a good chance that she may not be perfectly informed and in the loop on the exact release, but this is what I was told.
Now, back to our regularly scheduled dragster discussion.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back