New NHRA Nitro 'Spec' Engine for Top Fuel and Funny Cars (1 Viewer)

This is going to cost these teams a TON of $$$$!!!! NHRA says it's always looking for ways to cut costs, they must have forgotten that notion this go round!

Way doesn't someone just find the prints for the Donovan 417 whale motor and just issue it to all the fuel teams? Anyone ever try to service the the mains or the rod bearings in one of them? heck, it would take 75 minutes just to get the girdle beat off...

d'kid

Two things don't make sense: single-plug heads and 8/71 blowers. The thought of trashing all the current heads and blowers just doesn't make sense, money-wise.

This is RIDICULOUS!!! Well I guess the headliners will be the AFD and BAD and alcohal funnys. maybee even PROMODS!! I think maybe a smaller fuel pump less overdrive on the blower and NO ignition retard would work fine. After all the tracks are safer in the shut down areas, which they should have bee A LONG TIME AGO!!! Oh well I'm old, I started racing 48 years ago! BK

This is going to cost these teams a TON of $$$$!!!! NHRA says it's always looking for ways to cut costs, they must have forgotten that notion this go round!

re-read it Joe, mags, rods and pistons, plug off one sp hole until the next run of heads, drop a stage off the fuel pump, new batch of thicker liners, shoters stands and drop a floater and plate out of the can... biggest expense would be the smaller huffers...

mostly in expendables... heck, they could use a smaller tire and get rid of the pick up truck beds...

d'kid

I would rather see the damn thousand foot RACING than this crap. At least we still have PERFORMANCE!!

There is absolutely no way that the spec engine, if one is developed, will be single mag with an 8/71 only. I see a 450 cu in, with two mags, a smaller pump maybe a 12/71 blower.
They want it to be around 4.80 at 300 is my guess.
Dean

A repeat of what AA Dale said years ago as I see it. With few variations it will now be Graham's genius that created this combination.

I can only wonder how sales of Alan Johnson's best new products will drop off now?

Can someone please help the NHRA carefully move the muzzle away from their feet.

I don't see it as costing more money. I see the direct opposite. I see it being very cheap to do and cheap to maintain. Not only that, but this will allow more and more independents to compete once again. That will be the BEST thing to happen to Drag Racing...

I would also like to see the NHRA start to implement new rules to the Funny Car class which will make the bodies once again resemble the original stock lines.
Less engine, combined with less aerodynamics should bring the class back down to Earth.

ah, George

Except for the Mustang and Challenger, I can't tell you what anything else on the the street is today. Everything but the six Fords look like each other, so I guess they do look like the blobs on the street. You want floppers to look like whats parked on my block? Guess it's Pick ups, SUV's , and old Novas and Mustangs, and a 65 Galaxy. and a bunch of blobs...

d'kid

This must be some lame April Fools Joke that's a bit late. Why in bloody hell do these people feel they have to re-invent the wheel when Dale Armstrong has already solved this issue? I know, I know, it's so NHRA can look like the geniuses and not a multi time World Champion.:rolleyes:. Same reason NHRA won't listen to any of Garlits' ideas. Good work, guys:rolleyes:.

Dave

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back