New NHRA TF chassis spec. (1 Viewer)

I can't find the thread that someone was discussing mil spec on the chassis tolerances, but I just saw this on the news tonight and it was disturbingly familiar:

CANOE -- CNEWS - World: U.S. F-15s plagued by defective support beam: crash probe

F-15's breaking in half in mid-air due to "a defective metal beam in the frame (that) cracked" should be raising a red flag in our world to see if the beam was "normalized", "Heat treated" or some other fashion of "stregnthening" the material that may not have the expected outcome.

I can't find the thread that someone was discussing mil spec on the chassis tolerances, but I just saw this on the news tonight and it was disturbingly familiar:

CANOE -- CNEWS - World: U.S. F-15s plagued by defective support beam: crash probe

F-15's breaking in half in mid-air due to "a defective metal beam in the frame (that) cracked" should be raising a red flag in our world to see if the beam was "normalized", "Heat treated" or some other fashion of "stregnthening" the material that may not have the expected outcome.

"The frames of the central fuselage section, together with the two large variable geometry intakes on either side, are manufactured from machined Aluminium...

The wing main torque box is of multi-spar construction. The front wing spar is machined aluminium while the three main spars, bulkheads connecting them, and the frames of the engine pods are of machined titanium."

That should cover all block 1 through block 42 aircraft (A to D aircraft) some E series were built in Block 41 and 42

Sorry nothing as heavy as C-moly was used... Series E aircraft were first produced starting in '85. A thru D's '70 thru '85...

Can you heat treat Aluminium or Titanium?

d'kid

Karl- you are too damned smart for your own good sometimes....:D
Thanks buddy...:)

And yes, you're right- Barbados next weekend, Jamaica the weekend after and Tel Aviv 3 days after that..Sucks to be me- I miss ALL the test sessions!!! :mad:

We're waaay of the subject on this but maybe former MD now Boeing should have paid attention to the Russians- their late model fighters were built of chromoly- just make more power to overcome the weight!

The FC/TF specs IMHOP have a major flaw- they' re designing for structural loads, from what I gather, and not the TRANSIENT, DYNAMIC loads that occur (of probably nearly undefinable nature).

Tell me I'm wrong.

Seems like every time I call SFI to check and see if they mailed the new F/C chassis specs to me they keep telling me it will be ready in 2 weeks (that's been going on for over 2 months now).:confused:

Karl,

The problem is not in the wing spars or the main box, it's just ahead of that point. The longitudinal spars are cracking - they had video of an in-air incident on TV and the entire nose section, from the rear cockpit bulkhead forward, snapped off, leaving the inlets and wing intact. Fortunately, the pilot was able to eject safely after the nose broke off, as it was free-falling. Almost as scary as Cory Mac's wild ride.

- Larry

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back